Material Terminology

Mottrex

Hunter
Hi I've been scouring sites looking for like a Bible of or at the very least a list of products which have different names or made by different companies across the pond..
I've been looking for Sinatra here in UK but keep being shown foam board when I want solid sheets for my builds..

I am guessing there must be an Idiots guide type Site/Thread somewhere?

Sintra is the brand name for PVC board, that is made of expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC), in sheet form. It can be cut with an Xacto knife or utility blade and can be shaped by using a heat gun. I theink in the UK, Foamex is the equivalent.

Sintra is the brand name for PVC board, that is made of expanded closed-cell polyvinyl chloride (PVC), in sheet form. It can be cut with an Xacto knife or utility blade and can be shaped by using a heat gun. I theink in the UK, Foamex is the equivalent.
Brilliant thankyou for the reply I'll hunt them out.
I did think I could use a House Letting Sign but here in UK we tend to use an ugly corrigated hollow plastic which won't work.

Mott.

Brilliant thankyou for the reply I'll hunt them out.
I did think I could use a House Letting Sign but here in UK we tend to use an ugly corrigated hollow plastic which won't work.

Mott.

We use that crap too. Although we do use Sintra for some signs, so you might want to check a sign shop to see if they may have some.

We use that crap too. Although we do use Sintra for some signs, so you might want to check a sign shop to see if they may have some.
Good idea!
I think there's one nearby and It's always worth the ask before I order a huge sheet of PVC as
I only really want it to fabricate my Gauntlett 3D parts as I've already made the sleeves out of PVC piping..

Hi I've been scouring sites looking for like a Bible of or at the very least a list of products which have different names or made by different companies across the pond..
I've been looking for Sinatra here in UK but keep being shown foam board when I want solid sheets for my builds..

I am guessing there must be an Idiots guide type Site/Thread somewhere?
Sintra, Celtec, Worbla, Foamex are all brand names for PVC board (search for Expanded PVC Board), ShortFuse's recommendation for a sign shop is solid too, I've been able to get some there before.

Just chatting with a Plastics company and a bit of confusion..

Sintra has two thin outside layers and a foam core ?
PVC/ ABS is solid ?
My reason for asking is if I want to curve edges and will the foam show and be gnarly as on sintra..?

Just chatting with a Plastics company and a bit of confusion..

Sintra has two thin outside layers and a foam core ?
PVC/ ABS is solid ?
My reason for asking is if I want to curve edges and will the foam show and be gnarly as on sintra..?
Indeed Sintra has a foam core, but it's quite dense and I've found it looks perfectly solid once you sand and paint it. You could always use a glazing putty to smooth it out even further.

Yeah it is foam but its pretty solid, here's a picture when it's cut
Sintra.jpg
my whole armor is sintra, the edges come out fine.

Indeed Sintra has a foam core, but it's quite dense and I've found it looks perfectly solid once you sand and paint it. You could always use a glazing putty to smooth it out even further.
The local hobby craft has a deal four sheets for $12/£12 so might be rude not to purchase.
Coming from an Acrylics background I'd not thought about Glazing putty... That will work great for filling gaps on my Gauntletts..

That looks ideal!
I did beg some off cuts of PVC sheet from local sign makers but it was only 1mm where as your pic shows I can get super strong(hopefully) parts..
Yeah, I use 3mm sintra, it's pretty durable. I've dropped my jetpack before, I did get a completely fixable crack, but I expected worse when it happened.

Yeah, I use 3mm sintra, it's pretty durable. I've dropped my jetpack before, I did get a completely fixable crack, but I expected worse when it happened.
A relatively easy fix then plus paint and a lot easier than resins to smooth I'll wager..
At some point I need to attempt a Jetpack so will sure be asking plenty of critique from this Amazing forum.

This thread is more than 7 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back