Mainst's ESB paint up on Animefan Premium FP lid

It's coming together Mike, keep it up...when you're working just keep thinking....what would Superjedi do!!!

LOL! OK, first thing is to trash the Humbrol and break out the Floquil/Polyscales...

Either way, tonight I have a date with some graple/maroon color. When I get finished doing the mandibles I'm starting on the dome. I just wanted to have some mandible damage to use as positioning reference in my dome work.

Thanks for all the positive support guys!

Did some fitting tonight on the range finder. I'm not totally happy with the way the rf ear top part registers with the lower part. I'll try and fix that later. I ended up having my hands full getting my lights installed. The post/wire tube and the threaded bolt were preventing my light kit from dropping in place. A little belt sanding later, I was able to squeeze it in there. Not sure if it will ever come out!!!

image.jpg1_21.jpg

image.jpg2_11.jpg

Well, just a quick update. I either lost my grey paint or I used it all, threw it away and forgot I did. Ah, the perils of age! Either way, brown truck should be here Wednesday with some new grey, silver and what not.
Then the paint madness resumes.
I have been busy with the rest of the costume build. Got armor cut, routed, shaped and primed. Tacks glued on. Cod bondo...well, I'm derailing my own thread! Lol

OK guys, this will be the last update. Overall, I'm happy with the work I did. Learning from my mistakes, I know the next bucket I paint will turn out better. Some of the things that bother me are the colors. I think my dome and cheeks should maybe be a bit lighter. I think my mandibles and band etc. should be a tad darker. That being said, I am on a deadline and I've got so much other costume to build/paint. So this helmet might get a re-paint, but it will be after Christmas in the spring when it's cooler here! LOL.

image.jpg1_26.jpg

image.jpg6_2.jpg

image.jpg5_1.jpg

image.jpg4_8.jpg

image.jpg3_11.jpg

image.jpg2_16.jpg

Big thank you to Superjedi for all of the advice and help, and the awesome dry transfers!

Awesome man! Colors are reeeally subjective. As far as I can see in the photos they look great. Also, you went for a lot of overlooked details. Nice! (y)

Looks great man! There's always "the next time I do..." hind sight. Don't beat yourself up, end product is top notch!

Looks great man! There's always "the next time I do..." hind sight. Don't beat yourself up, end product is top notch!

Thanks brother. Your paint up was a booster to me and made me think maybe I can do this, this dude is knocking it out of the park! But I think I'm going to try my hand at the whole scratch build thing. ToEleven has a spare pallet of Bondo he's gonna let me have to work on my build! LOL When I get done, I think I'll also try to do that layered. Just to try my hand at another method, see how I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks brother. Your paint up was a booster to me and made me think maybe I can do this, this dude is knocking it out of the park! But I think I'm going to try my hand at the whole scratch build thing. @ToEleven has a spare pallet of Bondo he's gonna let me have to work on my build! LOL When I get done, I think I'll also try to do that layered. Just to try my hand at another method, see how I like it.

I literally went through a whole can on my last helmet. No way I could wear it though...it weighs a ton! My avatar should just be a can of bondo.

"I know the next bucket I paint will turn out better." "So this helmet might get a re-paint, but it will be after Christmas in the spring when it's cooler here!"

Your final post looks excellent, great details. Congratulations! You have much more ambition than me, I'm done after one...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back