Madmartigan's FPH Prototype ESB Helmet

Mmmm. . . cowpies. Wait. . .

:lol:

UPDATE: September 28th

OK, after talking with Chris I added the "contrasting" color which appears within some of the silver damage. This is an interesting detail and it's something that seems to change depending on how the light hits the helmet. I remember discussing this very thing with Alex when things were coming together during the JB Project, and when I got to go to Texas for the unveiling, I got to take a look at Darth Miller's amazing ESB helmet, and by pure coincidence, we used almost the exact same color to do these little areas! :)
So here's how it came out.

IMG_00045.jpg

With photos, it's just not possible to show how the color seems to blend in or pop depending on how you turn it to the light. But Chris will see what I'm talking about soon! (y)

IMG_00055.jpg

IMG_00074.jpg

Clear coat and pastel weathering (and a second clear coat) still to come!

Yes, yes it does. How do you get your topical layers so smooth and uniform? Just proper thinning? Man it looks beautiful!

Thanks you guys.
As far as the topical layers go, I don't have any tricks really. I basically paint with the Polly Scale colors right out of the bottle.
I thin them a bit when I shoot them through an airbrush, but for hand painting, they're straight outta the bottle. They just level out really well when they dry. (y)

Thanks again, everyone! :)
I've been waiting for a new nozzle for my airbrush (I use an Aztek) to get this project finished. Well, it arrived today, and I was able to pretty much wrap this puppy up!

I told Madmartigan I was hoping to have it done by this weekend. . . but it's done now. Sssshhhhhhh! Don't anyone tell him. :D

UPDATE: October 3rd

Got the last few steps accomplished today. All the basic painting was complete up till now, and I began earlier this afternoon by airbrushing a coat of Polly Scale Flat Finish onto the helmet and ear parts. I didn't go too heavy. I just wanted to give the helmet some 'tooth' for my powdered pastels to grab onto.
Once the clear coat was dry, I took the pastels and a few sizes of soft brushes and did some weathering. I only use a few shades of pastels; charcoal, dark brown, dusty brown, and black. I blend these in different areas to get different tones.
After the pastels came a second clear coat. The Polly S Flat dries really fast! :eek: I didn't have to wait very long at all before proceeding with the final couple of steps.
I finished detailing the Borden connector on the cheek by drybrushing some of the base Panzerolivgrun, and then some Tamiya Khaki. After that, I went back and redid some of the chips/scratches with silver.
I spattered the whole front of the helmet using the Khaki again. I use an old toothbrush to do this, and I thin the paint about 50% with water. I just flick the thinned paint onto the helmet until it appears to match the reference pics.
And that was pretty much it. Here are some final pics with the visor temporarily installed.
Once again, I have to say that I'm using my "old" 4.0 mP camera, so some of the subtleties of the colors don't fully come through. :(

IMG_00018.jpg

A couple of angled front shots.

IMG_000211.jpg

IMG_00038.jpg

Some shots of the back. I had talked to Chris about adding those greasy looking stains on the back of the helmet and I used some Game and Citadel inks to do these.

IMG_00046.jpg

IMG_00056.jpg

Here are some close ups of the dry transfer details on those gorgeous metal ears. :love

IMG_00082.jpg

IMG_00112.jpg

And here's a couple just for fun. The "turn signals," detailed with pastels.

IMG_00066.jpg

Finally, a section of the kill stripe area.

IMG_00075.jpg

Chris, I've really enjoyed painting this bucket for you! I hope you'll get years of enjoyment out of wearing it! :cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
It's awesome superjedi! I will follow all your steps painting mine, I think that Topical is the way to go, and this helmet can prove it.

Your new helmet is awesome Chris ;)

Thanks. :) You know I'm a fan of topical.

OK, here's one more shot for fun.
It's a group shot of the usual suspects.

The middle helmet is Chris's just-completed FPH. On the right is my FPH.
To the left is my new TerminalFettler helmet which will become. . . my latest super duper top secret project! Mu-ha-ha-ha!! :lol: ;)

IMG_00039.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back