Looking for a DIY solution to the clear rangefinder block

bpwmd

Hunter
looking for a way to make my own rangefinder block. looking to make it as so far ive made everything the hard way and am a bit proud of that any tips? (also i have found out that thick blocks of clear plastic are not available where im at)

I used a perspex block that I dremelled to shape and then spent an age sanding/wetsanding it until it was smooth and transparent again.

I bought a 3/4" piece of plexiglass off of ebay for about 10 bucks.

For cutting I marked the angles and cut it to size with a miter/chop saw. For the last few cuts when it's really too small to hold, so I used double sided tape to hold it to a backer piece of 1/4" wood to do the final cuts.

For the bottom angle piece I used Plastiweld to glue a small angled piece to the main part of the plexi. A little fine sanding will give it the look you want.

I bought a 3/4" piece of plexiglass off of ebay for about 10 bucks.

For cutting I marked the angles and cut it to size with a miter/chop saw. For the last few cuts when it's really too small to hold, so I used double sided tape to hold it to a backer piece of 1/4" wood to do the final cuts.

For the bottom angle piece I used Plastiweld to glue a small angled piece to the main part of the plexi. A little fine sanding will give it the look you want.

since you have te experiance with it how long does it take to sand. would you reccomend cutting wide of your lines and sanding in (IE it doesnt take long to sand) or cutting right on them (IE the sanding/polishing wont take much material)

since you have te experiance with it how long does it take to sand. would you reccomend cutting wide of your lines and sanding in (IE it doesnt take long to sand) or cutting right on them (IE the sanding/polishing wont take much material)

I just cut it exact and did a minimal amount of sanding to make it dull looking like the photos. No polishing was necessary.

I used plastic at first, then began to use epoxy.

The plastic is very brittle and difficult to shape.

Epoxy is very durable and the quality is better.

MDHKgoP-hBg.jpg0CtwmUXKZlI.jpg

MDHKgoP-hBg.jpg

0CtwmUXKZlI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back