Jamo's Boba Fett Prototype Builds

Jamo

New Hunter
This build has actually been underway since 2019, and is only now coming to a conclusion. I wanted to share my build with you all, which has been heavily inspired by the awesome super trooper build by 01Hawk, and the excellent research and templates from Rafalfett.

Firstly to go over the inventory of my build.

Helmet: Bobamaker V4 helmet
  • BM rangefinder stalk
  • BM replica rangefinder
  • BM visor
  • cast in borden connector
  • cast in Casio MQ1 circuit
  • dental files are Rafalworks 3d print

Chest Armour:
  • collar plate is Bobamaker V2 (dent free)
  • right chest, left chest, diamond and ab plate are expanded PVC foam sheet (from Wizard of Light templates)
  • chest electronics are TBD, but looking at getting Fettronics
  • studs are Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (discontinued)
Cod Piece
  • Bobamaker V2 (dent free)

Kidney Armour
  • studs are Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (discontinued)

Back Armour

Shoulder Armour
  • expanded PVC foam sheet (from Wizard of Light templates)

Knee Armour
  • expanded PVC foam sheet (from Wizard of Light templates)
  • knee darts are Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (discontinued)

Jetpack
  • Man of War Studios
  • drain cover os the included MOW version
  • Beacon light housing, and stabiliser, are Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (discontinued)
  • dental files are Rafalworks 3d print
  • hooks and clips from Full Metal Fett
  • connectors:
    • XLR male port (eBay)
    • XLR female port (eBay)
    • Coaxial port (eBay)
    • gas quick connect
    • bleeder valve (I got this part from eBay and took it apart to get the bit I needed to look like the references. I’ll have to go through my eBay history to work it out).
  • harness
    • harness frame was self made from piping from local hardware
    • harness straps was self sewn from webbing from local hardware
    • hooks and clips from Full Metal Fett
    • buckle is painted plastic

Left Gauntlet
  • casing: scratch built using expanded PVC foam sheet (from templates)
    • closure mechanism is hinges
  • rocket: April Storm 3d print
  • casio MQ1 keypad: Rafalworks 3d print
  • dental expander: Rafalworks 3d print
  • switch: coming soon
  • rear LED: coming soon
  • rear cable connector: 3.5mm female audio port
  • flamethrower
    • flamethrower housing: scratch built using expanded PVC foam sheet (from templates)
    • flamethrower nozzle: WIP - Rafalworks 3d print (coming soon)
    • flamethrower connector: gas quick connect

Right Gauntlet
  • casing: scratch built using expanded PVC foam sheet (from templates)
    • closure mechanism is hinges
  • whipcord housing: scratch built
  • dental files: Rafalworks 3d print
  • torch switch: coming
  • darts: Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (discontinued)
  • switches: Also MPE 106F momentary switches
  • blog block: scratch built using expanded PVC foam sheet, uses 2 x 3.5mm audio connectors with 2 x 3.5 audio ports on the gauntlet

Cape:
  • 1977/78 era vintage beach towel

Flak Vest
  • Man of War Studios

Neck Seal
  • Man of War Studios

Flight Suit
  • standard boiler suit with modifications

Ammo Belt
  • self made / sewn from templates

Ammo Belt / Hip Pouches
  • self sewn from templates

Gloves
  • Imperial Boots (now discontinued)

Shin Tools
  • Sonic Beam Weapon: modified Paterson squeegee
  • Survival Knife: modified Paterson chemical stirrer
  • Anti-Security Blade: residual Paterson squeegee part, plus replica stylus brushes from Imperial Boots Fett Alu Kit (now discontinued)
  • jetpack adjustment tool: cut down tube from local hardware

Boots
  • Imperial Boots (now discontinued)
  • includes spikes from Imperial Boots

Spats
  • self sewn from templates

There are plenty of photos of various parts of the costume build, that are very similar to other build threads, so the parts of the build I want to show are for the gauntlets. Scratch building these was enjoyable, but very time consuming and some aspects were a bit frustrating. The irregular angles made it hard at times!

I started with the right gauntlet, and missed a few photos right at the very start. The main housing a flat pieces that are then curved to shape, but the upper gauntlet casing is the unique piece. It actually comprises several parts that are constructed individually and then put together. For these parts I mainly used 3mm expanded PVC foam sheet, as it is easier to heat and bend. Putty filler was used around some of the joins where it was hard to get a perfect fit. Other ‘rounded’ areas also require putty filler to show the shape.

32616768987_71d87a8abf_c.jpg
Untitled by jamie milner, on Flickr

47559353311_123521d896_c.jpg

33682545748_8db3e6e93b_c.jpg

40593349163_cd73a8cc2a_c.jpg

The next part was supper hard. Where the top sits on, and slides down the sides, the top has the appearance of blending in to meet the housing. So this needed heaps of filler to start getting the blend and smooth as possible. Following that, layers of spray putty to try and fill all the little gaps and dints all over the place.

32894816947_0ef3bd6e1e_c.jpg

46922366425_c6dec241ec_c.jpg

As you can see from the pics, holes were allowed for in the casing for the darts and also for the Alco switches.

The left gauntlet was in some ways easier to build. Its geometry is more angular and not so rounded as right. Although it was sometimes hard to hold tiny pieces of PVC sheet together at the correct angles, it came together quickly.

46820062315_5d68fb702c_c.jpg

32793235467_222fa13b42_c.jpg

46820062325_7701e51a96_c.jpg

46947229044_d3ba89f2db_c.jpg

On the left gauntlet, the casing under the rocket has to be rounded so instead of PVC sheet, this was PVC pipe matches for diameter so it would snuggly fit the rocket. As before, plenty of filler for all the little gaps and dints.

47709361812_1b2867575f_c.jpg

33884950678_77ef3a1490_c.jpg

32818372957_588e63cece_c.jpg

Layering of spray putty.

32894816957_f48831f7e0_c.jpg

46922366355_71a6233363_c.jpg

After the spray putty comes sanding, and then more sanding, and then more spray putty and then more sanding. Then comes painting.

47984210718_2acab6f69c_c.jpg

47984210542_c181f04afe_c.jpg

47984210653_49e1bb1212_c.jpg

47984259731_9a52744020_c.jpg

48047305767_5673457b6d_c.jpg

I still have a couple of jobs to do on the gauntlets to finish them off. On the right gauntlet, I have a globe to imitate the light that was installed, but I haven't yet placed a button / switch. I don't intend on this being a working light, so a small square piece should be fine for now, although I will hopefully intend to have a replica every ready switch.

On the right gauntlet, there are 2 things: 1) switch next to the black rectangle, and 2) the draft 501st CRL calls for a red LED at the rear of the rocket, which I am yet to fully decipher the type of LED required. For both left and right gauntlet, I have gauntlet hosing that is clear vinyl hose, but I intend to replace with a different hose with better flexibility, as my current hose os very stiff.

That's enough for now. Next post I will go over the scratch build of the belt and ammo pouches.

Nice job on the gauntlets. From someone who has scratch built these in the past, I can agree that they can be very frustrating to build but satisfying when it all comes together.

Those gauntlets look sleek! It looks like it's coming together really well! It'll def be worth all the hard when you have it together, trust me.

Next update coming, but before I start on the belt, is there anyone in the brains-trust that might be able to say if the connector for the right hand gauntlet hose to the plug block has been identified for a found part? My initial version had a plastic tube from inside the plug block, extending out for the hose to slide over, and the silver part being some painted plastic to imitate some type of end piece. It was all glued together, but broke when I trooped in the costume. I can reinforce the it by having the tube as aluminium instead, but I want to build it stronger with a found part if possible.

53005263619_0e14e7dc8c_c.jpg

So, onto the belt, it was made with a imitation vinyl leather, white, which happens to have a slight pattern in the imprint. I used the mando mercs CRL and draft 501st CRL as well as the Alan Harris photo shoot as the guide to the build. There was a template on here for ammo pouches that i used to create the pouches. The template was for both an inner cardboard frame and then vinyl covering.

32122917707_f0accf1634_c.jpg
IMG_3088 by jamie milner, on Flickr

46340788604_c352d4069f_c.jpg
IMG_3089 by jamie milner, on Flickr

46340787004_7d8e2ac52d_c.jpg
IMG_3090 by jamie milner, on Flickr

At first, I tried making the pouches usable, i.e. a space to put things inside, but they weren't stiff enough to stay in shape. So I had to make a full inner cardboard pouch to then wrap to make each pouch.

48306207591_9b0af683e9_c.jpg

48306207581_341dd431c3_c.jpg

There is a point of difference I took here from the mando mercs CRL - it calls for a 'grommet pattern' on the belt, but I have so far omitted this from the build, the reason being it is not evident on any of the available photos.

And now another question for the brans-trust, about the wires box - as there appear only two reference photos of this piece, one of from the Alan Harris shoot, looking directly from the back, the other from the Duwayne Dunham shoot where a side on shot (whilst activating the jetpack thrusters) shows a flap coming loose at the back of the belt - how should the 'wires box' be put together? Any ideas? I'm working on having a piece of vinyl, same as the belt, attach to the back of the last pouches on the left and right and come out and around the jetpack connectors. Wonder if this would be enough?

53005302739_8cec368582_c.jpg

EDIT: Added the 'wires box' photo.

Giving an update on the build - it has been a while since the last update..

I had some comments from over on the BHG forums - so I worked on these. (1) needed to redo my chest plates over again in the correct shape, (2) fix up the positioning of the jetpack. (3) colour of the harness buckle. (4) adjust the finishing and stitching of the ammo belt pouch flaps. Have completed 1, 2, 3 and 3, but not 4.

Firstly the chest plates, using templates by Wizard of Light, I cut these out, and this time worked the bends in the plates with more caution to obtain a more rounded appearance, rather than the sharper bends of the previous attempt. Following the work on plates, I got the flack vest and stitched a series of velcro patches for attachment, and after spray painting the plates I glued the velcro to the back ready for attachment. Where the chest display would normally mount, I have a temporary piece of material the same as the t-visor, hopefully ready to rip out replace when I get the electronics. Pics of the new chest plates are below

Positioning of the jetpack took a great deal of effort, seeing as I'm working this build mainly on my own. I had some help with an initial positioning, but then had to work the rest out myself, firstly removing and repositioning the hooks, and then unstitching and re--stitching the harness straps. I think I end up getting it pretty good. Pics below.

Not mentioned previously was that my suit needed shin tool pockets and to create the tools. I placed an order for the Paterson parts from a local photography outline and started working on these.

49157102766_20ced3bfd7_z.jpg

The harness buckle has a coat of spray, using a basic chrome colour. No direct pics at this stage, but a peek in the next photos.

Some photos in kit:

Right Side:
52974069890_fb777281b2_z.jpg

Front:
52973836949_be62432f39_z.jpg

Left Side:
52973099022_8e7074db23_z.jpg

Back:
52973694811_3f639f1fb6_z.jpg

NB: These pics have omitted several things I was still working on at the time: gauntlet hoses; wires "box". And I'm also yet to get a chest display.

I had the opportunity to troop - it was the Supanova event at Sydney Olympic Park in June 2023, alongside the local 501st, Rebel Legion and Mando Mercs groups.

52985825269_af888ef84c_z.jpg

I'm keen to have feedback on the build. I feel like I am nearing the finish line in terms of putting an application together for Mercs approval. I produced some side by side comparison photos to the Alan Harris pics.

Front:
52988393219_58847a048f_z.jpg

Side:
52988710448_72bd4f525c_z.jpg

Back:
52988253171_58a89234ec_z.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back