General IronMeg's (somewhat speedy) Boba Fett build WIP

IronMeg

New Hunter
Hello DentedHelmet! I am new here, but I am a regular visitor to your "sister" site therpf. The reason I have signed up here to post is because I am working on a Boba Fett build for my wonderful fiance, and it has to be done by December 17th (yikes). We have a star wars event at the science center in town that we are going to where he wants to wear this. I've been working on it through most of November, but still have a long way to go. I've heard on some of these threads that there may be a picture limit, so mods, if I do something wrong I apologize, this is my first post here.

First, to give credit where credit is due. I spent a while researching all the wonderful tutorials and patterns you guys have laid out on here, and I must say, it is quite the treasure trove of information :)

Methods/Tutorials used so far:
redkraytdragon's magnet attachment method
batninja's ammo belt method
wizardofflight's pdf armor template
Darth Mule's flak vest tutorial

Ok, so let's get started. First, I bought some much needed tools:
20151108_133735.jpg
I drew out the flak vest pattern:
20151108_140958.jpg
Finished the flak vest (thanks to Darth Mule) and this was my first attempt at the armor... it quickly got remade... but I loved the flak vest :)
20151108_163330.jpg
I made the pants kind of free hand. I used a Pajama pant pattern from the store and modified it.
20151112_190945.jpg
For time and sanity's sake I bought two similar colored button up shirts from the thrift store here for the undershirts. Here is all the under soft parts together
photo2.jpg
Then, the second attempt at the armor, starting to look better
photo3.jpg
Left gauntlet. Forgot to take picture of right gauntlet but it is also built and awaiting paint.
20151125_183815.jpg20151125_190118.jpg
Then belt and sash:
20151127_101020.jpgphoto4.jpg

And this is where we are so far. The gauntlets are still awaiting paint, and everything else still needs details and weathering. Also, before it's mentioned. I know the shoulder bells aren't supposed to be orange, some... person... switched the tops of an orange and yellow spray paint so I bought the wrong one... ><

photo5.jpg

I still have a long way to go (jet pack, helmet, cape etc....) but I thought if I posted this it might help motivate me to keep working on it. Only like, 18 days left to go and a week of that I'll be on vacation so... not much time!

Thanks for reading!

20151114_171338.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

Considering, I think you did a decent job! Two big things though: I would recommend changing the green to something like Rustoleum 'Hunt Club Green' and get an actual mohair girth belt. I got mine for only $30 off Amazon. Look at the Gallery on this forum and you will find all sorts of pictures of the actual costume which will considerably help you in your build. Also, coincidentally, if you were doing ESB version of Fett the shoulder armor color is correct, but for ROTJ you definitely want them both yellowish tan.

Considering, I think you did a decent job! Two big things though: I would recommend changing the green to something like Rustoleum 'Hunt Club Green' and get an actual mohair girth belt. I got mine for only $30 off Amazon. Look at the Gallery on this forum and you will find all sorts of pictures of the actual costume which will considerably help you in your build. Also, coincidentally, if you were doing ESB version of Fett the shoulder armor color is correct, but for ROTJ you definitely want them both yellowish tan.

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually talking to a friend this morning that mentioned the mohair belt as well lol! I didn't realize it was and actual thing... that I could just go buy... the more you know!

I'll check out the Rustoleum color you mentioned. I went with this color because the armor itself is foam and certain spray paints don't look so good on foam, and I was using a "trusted" brand and this was the closest color in that brand I could find, but it's definitely not right on. Still a lot of weathering to do too.

As far as the shoulder bells, unfortunately I do not know nearly enough about the different versions of Boba Fett. On top of that, I was given such short notice on it as to not be able to do the research I would have liked to do, so I've been going off of different pictures I've found which is probably a bit of all the versions....

Thanks again!

Ok, so I ordered the belt as recommended from Amazon, about 30$ not bad. Also, had some fun with weathering last night. It makes the world of difference. On all my other builds, I've always done kind of scratch weathering, like for Iron Man, so age weathering, almost rusting it seems, was a totally different experience.

1.jpg

20151130_211313.jpg

I second tracking down some Hunt Club Green or another color that's closer. That one is just too bright and not the right shade.
Good luck. Less than a month is ridiculously fast.

Ok guys, I darkened the color and worked some more on weathering. I also worked on painting the shoulders again. I like this color much more. The green still might not be perfect, but I do think it looks a lot better.

20151201_192010.jpg

Oh also, I'm having a hard time finding a good red color for the helm/gauntlets. Anyone have a suggestion?

Here is the helm so far. I know it's not exactly screen accurate but I had a very hard time finding a foam version. I never really found a good one... but here we are, and for less than 5 hours of work to build, I'm pleased. I'll be forming the visor out of plexi glass once I get back from vacation. Itll help with the rounding in the front of the helm.

20151201_193821.jpg

I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I wont be able to update for a while, but seriously, thanks for all of your suggestions. I have 6 days left to work on this (after taking out my vacation days) till the 17th. It'll be a race!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, I darkened the color and worked some more on weathering. I also worked on painting the shoulders again. I like this color much more. The green still might not be perfect, but I do think it looks a lot better.

View attachment 94277

Oh also, I'm having a hard time finding a good red color for the helm/gauntlets. Anyone have a suggestion?

Here is the helm so far. I know it's not exactly screen accurate but I had a very hard time finding a foam version. I never really found a good one... but here we are, and for less than 5 hours of work to build, I'm pleased. I'll be forming the visor out of plexi glass once I get back from vacation. Itll help with the rounding in the front of the helm.

View attachment 94278

I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I wont be able to update for a while, but seriously, thanks for all of your suggestions. I have 6 days left to work on this (after taking out my vacation days) till the 17th. It'll be a race!

The chest armor looks much, much better. That helmet though....while not a bad start, its looking extremely wonky. While foam may work for it, cardboard (the preferred scratch building material, it would seem) is much more durable and workable.

I have a helmet scratch build WIP which has taken me something like 4 months so far. Obviously you don't have that sort of time, but I hope it may give you some tips.

Le1120's Second Cardboard Helmet Scratch Build -- WIP

Thanks for the chest armor compliment, I'm pleased with the outcome so far

For the helm, thanks for the link I'll take a look. I must say though, as simply a personal experience, I have never been good with cardboard :/ . The foam one definitely looks wonky, but I think once the visor is in place, and several coats of glue, it will be looking better. (I hope lol). This is the first time I've tried to use the triangle = dome method that I found here on TDH. I'd never seen it before, it was in interesting experiment :)

Check out stormtrooperguy's threads for the correct colors. For the gauntlets you want rustoleum Claret Wine. Works for the face mask also. It's available at Home Depot.

You up for sewing another Flak Vest? I'm no good at all at sewing and can't figure out Darth Mule's instructions at all.

Great start so far!

I think it looks great :) cant wait to see the completed outfit....if you're doing a quick budget build, you might want o get cheap flashing unit to put in the chest slots...I bought a flashing dog collar of amazon for about £3 and ripped the middle out and stuck it behind the slots, it added a really good effect to the suit for very little effort.

I think it looks great :) cant wait to see the completed outfit....if you're doing a quick budget build, you might want o get cheap flashing unit to put in the chest slots...I bought a flashing dog collar of amazon for about £3 and ripped the middle out and stuck it behind the slots, it added a really good effect to the suit for very little effort.

Great idea thanks I'll check it out!

Check out stormtrooperguy's threads for the correct colors. For the gauntlets you want rustoleum Claret Wine. Works for the face mask also. It's available at Home Depot.

You up for sewing another Flak Vest? I'm no good at all at sewing and can't figure out Darth Mule's instructions at all.

Great start so far!

Yea I found the instructions a bit confusing myself, but all's well that ends well I guess. I would definitely be able to do another one, but probably after the 17th... When would you need it by?

The mohair belt arrived, but I was already in Florida riding roller coasters :D. When I go back to work tomorrow I will pick that up, then paint it tomorrow night. I picked up some of the rustoleum color "claret wine" (at least I think that is the color, I literally can't find a name of the color on the can....) and I've weathered the gauntlets. I think they are looking good so far :) I think that it may need MORE weathering though, all of the pictures I've found show the gauntlets REALLY beat up. I think I was too light handed with it. What do you guys think?

20151210_131153.jpg20151210_141008.jpg20151210_141230.jpg20151210_141331.jpg

The gauntlets look fine to me, the right one looks especially good!

Cool thanks!

A bit more of an update. I got the mark on the left shoulder, and weathered the shoulders last night:
20151210_173139.jpg

Also, got the visor attached to the helmet:

20151210_103044.jpg

Then, after a few coats of paint it's looking pretty good. Not perfect obviously, and still needs weathering, but I'm pleased for the time crunch.

20151210_193648.jpg20151210_193644.jpg

It's the same green that I started with, so I know I'll need to darken it like I did the rest of the armor, but that will be done during weathering.

20151210_103044.jpg

The event is Thursday, so we did a suit up tonight to see what I need to work on tomorrow, before the big day. Here's some pics, still a lot of finishing touches and weathering to do but, I'd say not bad.

Continued work on the helmet.

20151215_202830.jpg

Full suit up. Eric clearly had fun.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Cat tax??

1.jpg

20151215_200610.jpg

20151215_200733.jpg

20151215_200736.jpg

20151215_200753.jpg

20151215_200828.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back