Greetings from Boston

Flamechicken

Jr Hunter
Hi all,
I wanted to drop a quick note and introduce myself and get a few tips and ideas on a new ROTJ Boba Fett venture. This will be my first foray into the world of props and costuming, so I hope I'm a quick learner.

Initially, my goal was to build a screen accurate ROTJ costume to wear (est. 5 days a year) and to display the rest of the time. Then I came to the realization that in order to get a costume that would fit me (6'4" 210 lbs.), I might have to make some adjustments and tweaks which might take away from my main goal of it being screen accurate. Im willing to sacrifice having a wearable costume if needed. I'm open to any ideas and opinions and if I'm thinking this through wrong.

In addition, I know that there are a few makers of quality armor, gauntlets, etc., many of which come in different sizes to help with the fitment for individuals who actually want to wear their costume. With that being said, is there a armor maker that is known for screen accuracy (size, material) over others? My budget is open as of right now, so I'm willing to pay for quality.

In addition, I travel quite a bit and my time at home is limited, so most of the paint work will be done through commissions.

Thanks in advance and good to be here,
Mike

Welcome,

I highly recommend you get in touch with Arkady for a flak jacket / flight suit if you want the screen accurate thing. Personally I have the Man of War flight suit and flak jacket and while they are not screen accurate...you really couldn't tell the difference between the two options and for a big guy like you its more comfortable to wear/put on. I also suggest getting the Balaclava from Man of War studios.

For your boots I suggest Man of War (by the way you can ebay from him online) but you will need to get boot spikes elsewhere.

My jetpack is coming from Fett seven, but there are a few trustworthy vendors on this site for jetpacks. The problem is you will need to wait a bit for it to get done (typically about 4 to 5 months if you get a spot). In addition you will want some additional parts for the jet pack, I am getting the beacon, pulse light kit, and flight stabilizer from dakota (machinecraftreplicas) for the jet pack.

My helmet is being done by Animefan, but there are a bunch of quality helmet makers on the forums (but Animefan is one of the best for RoTJ). It's quite pricey but well worth the wait. I suggest getting the fettinator servo kit, but they won't be available for a few weeks yet. This allows the range finder to be controlled via your guantlets remotely.

Capes, wookie braids, and your girth belt should probably be gotten from Woodman. He's tough to get a hold of but very good in quality.

The best ammo belts made here probably is done by Delta13mike. He's expensive but the quality is amazing.

My guantlets were painted and made by bobamaker. There are a few quality people here but that was the one I was able to get a commission from.

There are several good armor makers here. Sleepsalot did a great comparison thread you can take a look at to see how the different types compare to each other http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f20/boba-fett-armor-comparison-thread-51478/

Sleepsalot and 22split do armor painting commissions. Others will pop up as they have time.

I am sure others will post tons of pointers.

The highest quality out there is Fettprides stuff. There is a wait time, but you'd need to hit him up on FB or email for a quote on that. You do get what you pay for if your looking for quality gear with him. He makes helmets/armor/gauntlets in the different versions (ROTJ, ESB) screen accurate sized only.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Syllander, on Fett Prides armor, with it being screen accurate size, would it looks small on me? From what I can find online, Jeremy Bulloch was only 5'11" and I'm assuming it was sized for him.

in addition, before I did any real research on this site, I found "Bobamaker" and was very impressed with his personal ROTJ Boba Fett in regards to the armor and paint application. Does anyone know how his stuff compares to Fett Prides? The one drawback would be the shipping cost from the UK.

Thanks,
Mike

Syllander, on Fett Prides armor, with it being screen accurate size, would it looks small on me? From what I can find online, Jeremy Bulloch was only 5'11" and I'm assuming it was sized for him.

in addition, before I did any real research on this site, I found "Bobamaker" and was very impressed with his personal ROTJ Boba Fett in regards to the armor and paint application. Does anyone know how his stuff compares to Fett Prides? The one drawback would be the shipping cost from the UK.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

Connect with Sleepsalot...he's a cool cat that has done many armor painting commissions and took detailed notes about the differences. One point you must consider however is not how tall Bulloch was but what his chest measurements were compared to yours. For example I would be 6'2 if my pants didn't have a length of 29 inches versus say 36 to 38 inches.

As crumdum stated above, would be more a matter of the chest size. The Bobamaker is similar size. I would definitely say that FP's stuff is much more accurate, and several hundred dollars cheaper than the BM, especially with shipping fees.
Not bad gear, but if you're going to wait for quality you may as well go all out.
I'm slowly working on mine, and I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs. Check out Wastelands ESB thread for some good pics painted up by F4R here. He does make ROTJ as well as ESB versions of the armor.

As crumdum stated above, would be more a matter of the chest size. The Bobamaker is similar size. I would definitely say that FP's stuff is much more accurate, and several hundred dollars cheaper than the BM, especially with shipping fees.
Not bad gear, but if you're going to wait for quality you may as well go all out.
I'm slowly working on mine, and I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs. Check out Wastelands ESB thread for some good pics painted up by F4R here. He does make ROTJ as well as ESB versions of the armor.

Thanks for the info on Fett Pride's armor, I sent an e-mail to him today. What makes the FP stuff that much more accurate?

The amount of time he's put into his molds, having learned much from previous versions of his own armor, makes it more accurate.The dents vary between the style as well, and he has ROTJ and ESB specific versions. He also has the most accurate helmets you're able to get as well.

I am new here too, but have found this site and the great people here to be a valuable resource. I am too big to be anything but a fat fett, so I am going with a ESB display piece instead. RDK or redkraytdragon is making a set of screen accurate sized armor for me (his version 3). But he also has listed on his thread a size for the bigger folks (his V2 for people 5'11" to 6'3"). His armor might just fit your scale a lot better than the others out there and his lead time for my armor is very reasonable.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/ioa-rotj-fett-armor-kits-version-2-now-available-41814/

Thanks,
Mike

Yes, the FP v4 is one of the smallest of all the currently available Boba Fett armor out there. It will look too small on your build unfortunately. I would recommend the larger sized armor that only RKD makes here. I believe you can even print out the armor template and see how it'll fit you.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be able to get V4 armor from Fettpride anymore, it's been discontinued some time ago. That dates back to a project, and is a little smaller. His current armor is just labeled FettPride armor, FPA for short and is screen accurate in size. Really nice product it is.

Even the fpa armor will look small on that build. It's still in the realm of the "movie sized armor." Not saying FPA's armor isn't good, we all know FP's work is great but for someone who's a shorter/slimmer or "movie sized".... for larger builds it will look off. Also the term "screen accurate" can easily get mixed up with "movie sized" which can be applied to all major armor makers here. Some different or "better" than others with variations and revisions throughout the years. But nothing has been proven "screen accurate" yet unless measurements and proof are given. Which isn't going to happen..... So only by word of mouth will you hear these things and word of mouth never held much weight compared to proof and measurements. Hence why the armor comparison thread is there...to visually show people the differences without anyone telling you what is the best because there is not only ONE person who's selling the best parts or just ONE person for the best paint jobs, it's many....And if you think the big mouse(Disney) in the sky would allow that lol. Ask some people over on the RPF about that. Banned and C&D for much smaller reasons than a Boba Fett costume.

There are comparisons photos but I cannot release them on here. Message me if you're that curious...

But overall Boba is just a smaller character, all the actors who played him are slimmer builds, most all under 6 ft. So the "movie sized armor" is going to look small on a 6'2 200+ build. Which is why I recommend the larger templates would work better for his size. You can talk to RKD about it and look at his page for measurements on his larger armor.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate everyone's opinion.

I've actually decided against building a full wearable costume and will be focusing more on a static display to the relative dimensions of what Fett was on screen. Therefore I'll be taking my 6'4" frame out of the equation and leaving that to a future Vader build!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back