General Getting dirty (Need weathering advice)

Discussion in 'Boba Fett Costume' started by Mando Comando, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:28 PM.

1. Mando Comando

Mando Comando New Member

Hey everyone!

I just got my hip pouches and spats today. I've done some dirt weathering in the past for my Mando Mercs kits using black, brown, and/or grey spray paint to mist my soft pieces.

I admit it's a very brute force way to dirty up soft pieces, but I'd like to know what you use/do to dirty up your soft pieces if the way I do it is not good enough

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  2. ShortFuse

ShortFuse Member

I have had good experience with diluted acrylic paint in a spray bottle that you can adjust the spray pattern, followed by some airbrushing.

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  3. Tfett40

Tfett40 Member

If you have airbrush, go that option with black acrylic paint mixed with thinner. You can build up from subtle to heavy with better control then a spray can.

Ghost_Fett and DeathJedi like this.
  4. DeathJedi

DeathJedi Member

Agreed with Tfett40. Depending on your airbrush, you might be able to adjust so that it comes out in a finer/wider spray. Either way, an airbrush is going to allow you much more control. Start at a distance and work your way in. Rattlecans are too unpredictable and sometimes globs around the nozzle and then shoots a large drop of paint in your pattern. Just my opinion. Airbrush with black and you should be golden... err.. dirty... whatever.

Ghost_Fett likes this.
  5. Ghost_Fett

Ghost_Fett Member

I did my entire suit with grey, tan and black rattlecan spray paint from Walmart, I also used charcoal from my grill and black acryclic paint as well as grease and grime from under my car wheel wells. I didn’t want to pay for an airbrush and I’m pretty proud of how it turned out.

Artakha and ShortFuse like this.
  6. ShortFuse

ShortFuse Member

Nice. I also used some dirt from my sons baseball field. I have ROTJ and to was just the right shade for the flightsuit weathering in addition to the black from the spray bottle.

Ghost_Fett and Artakha like this.
  7. Ghost_Fett

Ghost_Fett Member

Nice! Yeah there’s always some very unique and out of the box ways to do things. ESB and ROTJ have some different color variations to them ESB is more greys and blacks while Rotj has a lot more tan. I love finding interesting and cheap ways to do weathering. I found wetting charcoal and sanding it on my driveway gave me a black gritty paint that really seeped into the suit well in the edges and seams.

Also one big thing I did is wet the entire flight suit before doing any paintwork. This diluted the paint a bit so I went layer by layer and had better control.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 6:40 PM
    DeathJedi, ShortFuse and Artakha like this.
  8. ShortFuse

ShortFuse Member

Yes. Wetting the material is a must. It helps the paint blend into the fabric and give it soft edges.

DeathProof and Ghost_Fett like this.