GB's bucket progress - WOF plans ROCK

I still have no idea how I'm going to build my earpieces. I'm throwing around ideas of assembling them from plastic, or carving from foam and coating with latex plaster, or bondo... yours look great, tho! Wood is an idea I hadn't thought of. I don't know what I'm going to use to make my stalk yet, either. Ugh.

Clever using the balsa wood! That stuff cuts great, I never thought to use that before.

I went to a hobby shop and found a bag of balsa pieces. All different shapes and sizes. Worked great for finding just the right thing for each component of the constructions... except the angled/curved caps. I used watercolor paper for those because the thickness had to be - well - not thick.

You can use whatever you feel comfortable with though. Any material you can cut and glue together should work. If you want to use plastic maybe you can find styrene pieces at your local hobby supply place.

As for the stalk... I had a machinist friend make mine for me out of aluminum, so I can't really help you there... other than toss out the idea I was playing with before I got it made by someone else. I was going to find a piece of 1/4" thick plastic and cut it from that. I gotta admit, I'm glad I had it made in aluminum though.

I put the earpiece on, but only temporally. I think it's sitting a tad too high. Need to redrill and reposition. It's also not refined for fit yet, as there is still a gap on the front and back edges.

HPIM1082.jpg

That bucket has a really, really nice profile!
Very nice work GB!
I do agree with you on the ear position though......think it's too high and it may be a little short once you move it down. The gap at the top of the brow looks good the way it is, but I fear it'll be too big once you scoot the ear down. I can't wait to see it painted!
Awesome!

Josh

Thanks kripps/Josh

I think what I will do is split the difference. I know the bottom of the earpiece should line up with the bottom edge of the helmet, but I don't want it too far down from the top edge. I think what happened is I didn't quite trim the bottom of my helmet as far back as I should have. Oh well. I'm still happy with it and I'm not gonna sweat over a few millimeters difference here and there.

Thanks guys. Things have slowed down a little. I'm still working on the rangefinder earpieces, but have been doing other things as well, so it's going slower. Part of my problem is I can't seem to finish one project before I start another. The weird thing is the new project is one I didn't think I would bother to do... I've started scratch-building an EpIII Vader mask. And of course my other projects that have been (slowly) on the go for a while now... Red Guard lid, 3PO head, 45% scale Vader armour to go with a Riddell mask, modification of Kellogg's clone trooper helmet, ..... oh, and Queen Nefertiti.

Yeah, I simply sanded down the center lengthwise.

The amount that you have to dish the ear pieces, you hardly notice once the ears are fully installed.

Thanks for the input on this, Jango72. I ended up doing a little of what you suggested as well as sanding the surface on the helmet a little flatter. Worked great! I just need to refine the edges of my earpiece a little more before I install it permanently.

No worries. I'm here to help out in any way I can... wether you decide to try my suggestions is entirely up to you. It's always best to have multiple suggestions and weed through them to find the one's you'll actually use. ( then you won't do the dreaded, "why didn't you suggest that before I ..." ) ;)

I've started test painting the bucket, just to get a sense of where I'm going with this. I couldn't find all the colours I need, so I'm doing a lot of mixing - hence the testing. Anyway, I also decided to go with the topical method of painting after all.

fettpaint.jpg

Let me know what you think of where I'm going so far. Any comments are welcome.

Thanks SarlaccBits. I think my colours are a bit dark. I'll try to do a direct compare shot side-by-side with a real prop pic.

In the meantime, I started to sand it down in prep for the next paint layer attempt. My daughter thought it needed something. She figured her old easter hat would look nice up there.

fetteasterhat.jpg

I'm looking to start making a mold for my right earcap - the one that goes over the end of the rangefinder stalk. This, as we all know, is a complex shape. Can I get a bit of input from others who have cast these parts in resin as to the best way to go about making the mold for this particular piece? I'm thinking it will probably have to be a 2-part.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back