First Helmet

well, since mine is already painited, im gona have to run some wire in the back to putt out the side, but if its unpainted, you can dunk and in hot water and shape it that way.

heat gun. even if its painted you can still use a heat gun. On DP and rubies that is. Heat the inside though ro avoid burning the paint. Little by little. And if you are careful you can run cold water on the inside of the helmet to cool it down. The freezer works well too.

ah cool, thanks for the tip...but wont the helm just go right back to the orig shape if i dont reenforce it w/ the thick wire?

It's a heat gun, so it will basically heat/warm/slightly melt the plastic, therefore making it pliable(spelling?). So you heat in sections. ie. heat the inside of the ears and you can bend the mandibles inward or the front of the dome inwards a bit. Then you can stick it in the fridge or run cold water on the inside to cool down the ears. This will keep it in shape. ANother hint: don't keep the bucket in the freezer for more than a minute or two if you have a cold freezer. The plastic will get too cold and once you take it out of there, the room temp will cause condensation to appear on the helmet, and that blows bantha butt(why did i say that). Other than that, it's pretty simple. Good Luck. I am also in the process of painting my first bucket so I am learning a bunch of new things on my own as well. Cheers!

Hey guys...
This is my DP97 quick lid fix.
Cut the visor out(I used a hand saw) then replace with a home made one,cost be about two quid to make,sheet of 1mm clear plastic acrylic from the model shop and some car window tinting film,I stuck it in with Evo stick!!
I then just got some decent referance pics and went about applying the weathering using acrylic paints (better for a vinyl helmet as the paint doesnt flake or crack)...and that was that!!

fett.jpg

OK it's not brilliant but it sure beats the way it originaly looked...

Getting a fibreglass bucket soon so will do it properly next time!!

Attachments

• fett.jpg
    fett.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 116
Hm, so im trying to replace my visor w/ my uber sweet BM one, and for some reason, i cant find a dang glue that will hold and not just peel right off....any sugestions? (Ive tried so far, a 60 sec epoxy, a 5 min epoxy, zap-a-gap (a really good model glue) and krazy glue, none of which worked.)

Alzucar - I suggest using Plastic Welder. I've used it on my DP '96, a Rubies Latex mask, and a Urethane casted helmet. This stuff should stick. It has about a 15 minute cure time - so what I do is clamp the visor into place with alligator clips, glue what you can, then remove the clamps and put glue there. This will eat on your visor if you get it on it, so becareful and do not get it on the outside of the visor.

After a long absence (real life can be a pain sometimes!!!) Im back and finally finished my bucket! Tell me what you think or where i could improve!

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

helmet3.jpg

helmet4.jpg

Attachments

• helmet4.jpg
    helmet4.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 106
  • helmet3.jpg
    helmet3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 117
  • helmet2.jpg
    helmet2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 108
  • helmet1.jpg
    helmet1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 115
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back