Fett from 1986

No... It hasn't been posted about. It is quite the anomaly.

so it's not the "lava" or the "MF". So there are 4 known cast from LFL (not necessarily screen used) helmets in fans hands (3 if you don't count the lava, i know some people don't)? There's the MF, the lava, the banzai and this other one that you guys are refering to that doesn't have the RF ear hump. are there more? why hasn't this other one been discussed?

If one of you guy's doesn't mind, shoot me a PM of a list of sources that you all have compiled where you've gotten the history's of each of these helmets. I'd like to be able to contribute from a more educated point of view.

Based on my observation on the prepro #2 helmet, it seems to me that the ears didn't have a gap in between the helmet and the ear piece and appears to be molded on. If you look closely at the Banzaii helmet, it seems that the ears were molded on but seems to have been shaved off for unknown reasons. Are there any screen used helmets with the ears actually molded on to the helmet itself?

Slide1-1.jpg

so it's not the "lava" or the "MF". So there are 4 known cast from LFL (not necessarily screen used) helmets in fans hands (3 if you don't count the lava, i know some people don't)? There's the MF, the lava, the banzai and this other one that you guys are refering to that doesn't have the RF ear hump. are there more? why hasn't this other one been discussed?

If one of you guy's doesn't mind, shoot me a PM of a list of sources that you all have compiled where you've gotten the history's of each of these helmets. I'd like to be able to contribute from a more educated point of view.

No, it isn't. The Lava is a recast of the PP2, possibly taken from a repaired mold that Rogue Studio original plug came from. The Lava helmet and mystery helmets have no ties that we can see to the ESB or stunt helmets, aside from our belief that ALL of the original Hero helmets, ESB included, came from ONE mold.

I would argue stating that "there are 4 known casts from LFL in private hands" as I think it is a bit misleading, although I know what you are trying to say.

To the best of our knowledge there is ONE hero helmet in private hands; the Prepro 2. The Prepro 2 was cast back in the early 80s and the result was the plug that Rogue Studios now owns. The mold that created Rogue Studios mold was heavily damaged while taking the plug out and was THOUGHT to be discarded. However, it would seem that either the Prepro 2 was cast a second time OR (and I think this is the more plausible explanation) another plug or helmet was taken from that damaged mold which eventually resulted in the Lava helmet (don't know how many generations the lava helmet is from that original mold) and well as the mystery helmet(s) and most likely the Don post helmets.

We know that there were originally 6 hero helmets and we more or less have them all accounted for. However, we don't know how many stunt helmets were made. We know of the two in the archives. We believe the helmet Max Cervantes got (with almost the EXACT same story as Banzai shared with us) is a stunt, as I believe Banzai's helmet is a stunt as well. Are Max's and Banzai's helmet's brothers? They share some but not all the same feautres. Banzai's looks closer to the stunts than Max's. Did Max's and Banzai's come out of the same mold as the stunts in the archives or were they cast off one of the stunts in the archives or were they cast off a stunt we have never seen... We don't know.

This other helmet we have talked about is something that we really can't talk a lot about and quite honestly, at the moment, I am dismissing it entirely. It does lack the top reangefinder ear platform like Banzai's but that is about all the similarities that they share. Unless the owner of that helmet cared to share more... I am not even throwing it in the mix.

That is about all I can think of right now.

Based on my observation on the prepro #2 helmet, it seems to me that the ears didn't have a gap in between the helmet and the ear piece and appears to be molded on. If you look closely at the Banzaii helmet, it seems that the ears were molded on but seems to have been shaved off for unknown reasons. Are there any screen used helmets with the ears actually molded on to the helmet itself?
[

Every helmet's ears sit slightly differently on the helmet. While I can't definitely say that NO helmet has the ears molded on, there is a lot of proof that most of them do not.

Great summary, Art.

I'll just add that the lineage of the lava helmet and it's descendants, the mystery helmets, are all modified castings of the Prepro 2 to some degree. The Lava helmet, while being the "earliest" casting that we know of, still only has a few original marks left and the dome, forehead triangles, and non-rf ear exhibit the funky characteristics that were inherited by the Mystery helmet.

The MF helmet is the only 1:1 of the PrePro2 (understandable since it came from the original plug) that has surfaced. And the Bonzai casting is the closest 1:1 of a stunt helmet that has surfaced.

So to the best of our knowledge, the Prepro2 and Bonzai/possibly Max C early 90's ILM stunt helmet are the only sources of original castings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Art...I consider this thread as a lesson in "Fett-ology". :lol:

You are very welcome. This is the kind of stuff that I really love, even moreso than having pieces in my "collection" is knowing about the history. It is absolutely fascinating to me to learn how things came about and how little by little things have spread. For example it is absolutely stunning to see how many things have come to the fans via the PP2.... I mean viturally EVERYTHING we have outside of 1) fan sculpts 2) the MR helmet (pp3 scan) and now 3) the banzai helmet derive in SOME way from the PP2!!! It cracks me up to think of over the years how many things have been touted to have come from this source or that but inevitably they almost always come back to the PP2. The more we have learned the more we have come to see just how few sources there originally were, but how much those sources have been redistributed and reredistribubed and rerere... well... you get the point... Lot of "recasting" going on back before anyone considered recasting to be a "bad thing." :lol:lol:

I have thought on this and I believe the ears had a putty applied on some to eliminate gaps and make the ears look more a part of the helmet.

Lee, do you think it was putty or possibly some type of epoxy? Don't we see some crusty yellowish gunk around some of the ears?

Good point Lee, I thought of that too but looking at the Banzaii helmet pics, it seems that there were no signs of epoxy or putty usage like Art mentioned unless it was sanded off and covered with primer. I would like to take a closer observation of this helmet when I get another chance.

Would anyone be interested in making a visual "family tree" of the helmets? I think I'm following most of the helmet lineage, but it might be a little easier if we had some sort of chart to refer to.

Art and Tyler you just filled in so many blanks for me from post 123 down! Thanks so much!

I agree that a visual family tree would be great!

I thought it might have been something like the other person not wanting to come forward; and I guess we have to respect that, but without getting into too much can you say why you throw it out of the mix?

If it were me and as much as I love epoxy putty I would say yes. It would definitely be robust and plus it would be choice against the metal of the ears. Or at least against the ears that were metal. LOl I hope that makes sense.

Lee

Art and Tyler you just filled in so many blanks for me from post 123 down! Thanks so much!

Just want to make it clear that while Dan and I are the ones posting and while we have done a lot of research ourselves, the info we are presenting is a collective effort of MANY people, both past and present. I couldn't even begin to name all of those who have helped contribute to help us reach the point we are now at. I just don't want you guys to think it is just us doing this. We are the voice for a great mass of Fett historians.

VERY VERY interesting comparison. Hopefully I am not reading too much into it, but from what I see, especially in the other views, I am seeing exactly what I would expect to see... a very good sculpt, based on the original, with a very similar look and feel, but very obvious differences.

With my decent knowledge about the real helmets I made a little comparison, I found a picture of the ESB Hero in the TDH Ref CD which is pretty similar in focal length and perspective to one of the photos of Banzai88 1986 Helmet.

With Photoshop I did an overlay. Look how close are the ESB painted killerstripes to the mysterious markings of the 86 helmet - which may killerstripes residues. You pro's here may find more interesting things...ESBHeroBa86Mix.jpg

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back