ESB: Weathering the Stalk

clmayfield

Active Hunter
I am down to the last part of painting the helmet: weathering the rf stalk. In the pics, it has always looked to me like there were splotches of gold, which I found odd because it seems like a good place for a rust colored wash. I also notice that the surface seems to be rough, almost pock marked. Then it came to me... do you think they painted the stalk the same color as the ear piece (that sand color) and then roughed it up with a file or some sand paper?

How have you all done it? There doesn't seem to be much on the site about this peculiar weathering job.

Thanks!

There are rusty looking spots all over the stalk, plus it's discolored/oxidized.
I add the spots using a rust colored paint, then mix up a thin wash using the same color and apply that.

Looking at photos of your stalks, they look good. The spots are perfect and don't look too red.

But for some reason, in the reference photos, I am seeing yellow or gold. Not in all of the pics, but more than one. And it appears primarily on the front of the stalk. Am I the only one? Is nobody else seeing this?

Always listen to Eric :)... I weathered using burnt sienna acrylic (rust color), which I thinned down a bit with water. Using a brush, I "flicked' the bristles to create a splatter effect. I was pleased with the simplistic effort and positive results.

I am down to the last part of painting the helmet: weathering the rf stalk. In the pics, it has always looked to me like there were splotches of gold, which I found odd because it seems like a good place for a rust colored wash. I also notice that the surface seems to be rough, almost pock marked. Then it came to me... do you think they painted the stalk the same color as the ear piece (that sand color) and then roughed it up with a file or some sand paper?

How have you all done it? There doesn't seem to be much on the site about this peculiar weathering job.

Thanks!

Nice idea on the splatter. I don't have superjedi's ability to make it look natural. My random dots don't look random at all. I am not an artist.

Well, it's a matter of very carefully studying the reference pics and trying to match what I see.
But I've never really noticed any gold tones on the stalk. Could be due to lighting/reflections, or just the color timing of the pictures you're looking at.

I use Tamiya Red Brown (can't remember the number) for the doing the rust spots, and also for the wash.

I have a variety of humbrol washes (I had to buy extra stuff to get free shipping on their expensive but good thinner). I must be going crazy. It did take me a while to see the purple on the mandibles, but I finally saw it as such.

Maybe there is a reflection thing going on, given the fact that it comes out of the sand-colored ear piece.

Here is a screen shot:
RF%20Stalk_zpswim4xczd.jpg

The pictures are very grainy, but I am seeing yellow splotches in both of those. Now in the second picture, I can see some red on the right had side (as we are facing), but on the lower part of the stalk towards the right, I am seeing yellow again. I see it in both pictures. Am I going crazy?

I have tried to consistently use the ESB pictures to determine colors and wear. There have been some definite changes between the ESB and SE version. For instance, look at the RF stalk from the ESB pics. Most of the wear is on the front of the stalk in ESB. In the Art of Star Wars, the weathering is primarily from the side and it looks like it came from a misting that happened post-ESB. I am shooting for a much cleaner version.

Those pics are great for shapes of paint chips, but there has been a lot of fading and additional wear since the ESB.

All of the rust colored stuff in the grainy pic you posted is visible in the AOSW and C4 gallery, It was painted in the same style as the PP3 which we also have very good pics of neither have "gold" as you call it....nor does it appear to have ever had gold on it. There IS weathering on the side of the grainy pic you posted. If you believe that or not is up to you.... I do not believe there was misting that was added...as the PP3 helmet and the ESB helmet both have the same rust color misting applied to them as you can see in the pics youre referring to also.

Sorry to use the term "gold." How would you describe the color on the front of the first inch of the stalk in the two pictures I posted?

That section looks pretty clean in AOSW. I would chalk it up to graininess or a reflection, but those were two pictures taken in two settings under different angles that show this.

RF%20Stalk%20AOSW_zpsgfyul09m.jpg

Here is a side by side of two pictures. Some parts match up well. Others don't. Maybe it is just reflection. But it seems like maybe there are some diagonal scratches up and down the front of the stalk in the older picture. But again... a lot of grain there.

RF%20Stalk%20Comparison_zpss7jlkrg7.jpg

That's it! Thank you. I wonder why it doesn't show up in the above picture. I have some leather on hand that I used for the knife/ chemical mixer shin tool.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back