ESB Gauntlet Colors and Stencils?

Urami

Hunter
Hey Guys,
I just finished my first bucket utilizing all of the great information/guides/paint ups/stencils offered up by the members. Aside from some minor highlights and some rusting the helmet is 100%. I just ordered up some gauntlets from Man of War. While awaiting their arrival I have begun my research on damage patterns and colors. Now, just to preface this I am colorblind (red green deficient to be precise) so of course Boba Fett is the worst possible project because all of the shades of Green and Gray generally run together for me so the stencils were an absolute must and of course my wifes eyes :) Generally he just looks gray green all over :)
All of that being said, I am either crazy or I just cannot find a thread on the InterWebs that specifies the colors of the gauntlets. I can assume its the same Humbrol that I used on the dome but I am not too sure. Can some one either point me to the thread I obviously missed or atleast let me know what colors I need? So far my best guess is:

Assumed colors from dome recycled:

Humbrol Gray 79 Gray Damage
Humbrol Green 78 main color
Humbrol Red 60 flame thrower and wire
Humbrol Silver 11 Silver Damage and flame thrower
Wrist Rocket Tip? Humbrol Gold?

So are these the colors needed on my gauntlets aside from the white and black colors? Additionally do I just need to take the reference photos I have of the gauntlets and eye in my damage in or are there stencils or a map that I am just not seeing out there?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Hey Guys,
I just finished my first bucket utilizing all of the great information/guides/paint ups/stencils offered up by the members. Aside from some minor highlights and some rusting the helmet is 100%. I just ordered up some gauntlets from Man of War. While awaiting their arrival I have begun my research on damage patterns and colors. Now, just to preface this I am colorblind (red green deficient to be precise) so of course Boba Fett is the worst possible project because all of the shades of Green and Gray generally run together for me so the stencils were an absolute must and of course my wifes eyes :) Generally he just looks gray green all over :)
All of that being said, I am either crazy or I just cannot find a thread on the InterWebs that specifies the colors of the gauntlets. I can assume its the same Humbrol that I used on the dome but I am not too sure. Can some one either point me to the thread I obviously missed or atleast let me know what colors I need? So far my best guess is:

Assumed colors from dome recycled:

Humbrol Gray 79 Gray Damage
Humbrol Green 78 main color
Humbrol Red 60 flame thrower and wire
Humbrol Silver 11 Silver Damage and flame thrower
Wrist Rocket Tip? Humbrol Gold?

So are these the colors needed on my gauntlets aside from the white and black colors? Additionally do I just need to take the reference photos I have of the gauntlets and eye in my damage in or are there stencils or a map that I am just not seeing out there?

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Very glad you posted this as I am curious about those colors myself!

So far there are no stencils for the gauntlets and/or the jetpacks. Most of the members do their paint jobs using the reference images, which is more simple for ESB, but way too complicated for ROTJ (and the other multi-colored packs). The ESB gauntlet and jetpack shares the same colors and weathering style, while the rest of the suit was done much earlier and with different colors and style.

your pretty much on point...the rocket head is copper though, not gold, and grey 27 is better than 79 on the helmet. But i use the 79 on the gauntlet :)

I make a vinyl stencil for the ESB main left gauntlet damage if that helps ya. i can make it for topical or layered technique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, great!! Glad I wasn't just crazy. Thanks for the replies, big help there. Thanks again, Rafal, for your stencils as well. They are truly just "headsctratchly" impressive. People look at my lid (obviously not as researched as us on the forums) and think I am nuts and geniusly talented for doing it so well and I defer and show them your stencils. It really is like cheating!!! I am way new to this world and I am sure this has been expressed many times but, for me anyway, there is no way I would have attempted this build if not for those stencils. Well, at least not as fast or confident as I have anyway. They are the perfect beginner tool for anyone wanting to learn how to map out a paint process. They really do extend beyond just the Boba builds as far as value and impact. Good on you brother.

Voorhees: Thanks for the color confirmation!!

@Dreekin Thanks for the kind words! A non Boba Fett fan will never understand why we dirty, scratch and smudge parts of the suit, but we know that this makes the character believable. His suit is worn, dented, mismatched because he gone through hell to do his job... and do it well. This is why we love him!

For the gauntlets I mixed 78 & 76. Copper for the rocket head and gold for the dental expander. Damage is usual chrome and grey combo.

L_Gauntlet.jpgR_Gauntlet.jpg
Urami, above are the gauntlets thus far.

i went with Model Masters Grun RLM 62 (almost identical to Humbrol 78). same base color i used for the jetpack (though much heavier weathering). i think the gauntlets are pretty light in color, even lighter than the cheeks and dome on the ESB helmet (at least thats what i see). i even added a bit of white for the top of the right gauntlet...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453791145.381844.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453791154.166129.jpg

trying to match, keeping in mind photo processing illusions...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453791186.314759.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

i went with Model Masters Grun RLM 62 (almost identical to Humbrol 78). same base color i used for the jetpack (though much heavier weathering). i think the gauntlets are pretty light in color, even lighter than the cheeks and dome on the ESB helmet (at least thats what i see). i even added a bit of white for the top of the right gauntlet...
View attachment 95816
View attachment 95817

trying to match, keeping in mind photo processing illusions...
View attachment 95818

Sent from my R2 unit

Yeah I see what you mean. The gamma on my work machine way up, making the gauntlets look lighter then they are. Looking now at home they are dark, though painted well. Thanks for chiming in, I will definitely keep in mind the light touch of white. So did you just brush on really thinned white as a sort of wash?

So did you just brush on really thinned white as a sort of wash?

actually i lightly misted with my Badger, just a couple passes of the white onto the tops of the gauntlets prior to applying the silver/grey damage or any of the other non-green detailing/metal pieces. right after i applied my base green. i think Lou mixes the white into his base green, he's a mix master [emoji12] but i wanted more control of how much lighter it would make them look without the possibility of having to go back and repaint them if my mix was off. realizing that the best reference pictures of the right gauntlet could be a bit over exposed, causing them to look lighter than they really were, i went for just a touch darker than the lighter green seen in the ESB promo pics.

@jbdubz

Could you post the full side view of your left gauntlet I am curious how your wires look.

of course! [emoji16] these are Fettpride's latest ESB version (added a couple tweaks to the flamethrower) with Dakota's 3 piece rocket in case you were wondering, amazing pieces.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454046864.785936.jpg

Sent from my R2 unit

its kinda irritating for me to have to use colour conversion charts for every thing I do, here in Asia the staple is gunze or mr colour, not humbrol...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back