EFX PCR Boba Fett helmet review

Hi all!
As many of us did, I pre-ordered the EFX PCR helmet right after Celebration Chicago last April. I checked my records and I placed my order on April 21st, 2019.
The helmet arrived yesterday, and I was very excited to open it up! :D

This will be my review. I'll include both some facts and opinions. So please take my opinions for what they're worth.

First off: overall impressions.
I have to admit when I unboxed the helmet, I had a big grin on my face. Because even through the plastic "clamshell" packaging, the helmet just had the right look. The color palette that EFX used looks really great! I've done my share of staring at reference pictures, and these colors look superb. Then when I took it out and handled it, the size, shape, and proportions all looked excellent as well.
Here are some overall shots.

View attachment 184923 View attachment 184924 View attachment 184925 View attachment 184926

First impressions: 8/10.

The helmet interior is fairly basic. It's just bare green plastic with a foam disc in the crown, and some thinner sections of self-stick foam covering the ears, the edges of the visor, and the keyslot area.
From what I understand, EFX doesn't really have a costume license like Anovos, so this was never meant to be wearable right out of the box. If someone intends to wear it, some additional support will be needed. Maybe a hardhat liner or a set of ACH pads.

View attachment 184927 View attachment 184928 View attachment 184929 View attachment 184930 View attachment 184931

Interior: 5/10.

Paint app:
Since I am a painter, this was one of the things that interested me the most.
The process EFX used, however it was done, is pretty amazing. They managed to capture the shapes and proportions of just about every detail on the screen used ESB lid. There are a handful of exceptions that I'll describe further down.
As I mentioned in the intro, the colors themselves look fantastic. The colors all work together to really give it that ESB look we're familiar with.
For such a complex and detailed paint app, I'm giving it 9.5/10.

Details:
Like I said above, this is the area where I'm going to "ding" the helmet a little bit. The things I'll describe won't matter a bit to most Fett fans, but... this is TDH after all, so to be comprehensive, I'll touch on a few things that I noticed.

The first group of observations are things which EFX simply didn't include. This seems odd considering how much finer detail they did capture. Can't say whether these were business decisions, artistic decisions, or simply oversights.

White thumbprints are not present. These features are clearly visible in screen caps from ESB, so it was strange that they're not there. Likewise the "fade" below the killstripes. This effect wasn't reproduced on the EFX.

View attachment 184932

Pale gray between the upper and lower RF ear pieces is not there. They left this area red.

View attachment 184933

Dome staining. This looks significantly different than the production prototype shown in Chicago. In my opinion, it's a bit too heavy handed on the production helmets.

View attachment 184934 View attachment 184935

NOTE: I did a small mod to my helmet by removing some of this "gunk" from the rear panels. I did not touch the dome though.

"Errors:" I feel that these next items were simply errors in paint application, rather than being conscious decisions.

The biggest oops is on the bottom facet of the range finder ear. The angled part that juts out. The pattern was applied upside down.

View attachment 184936

The next area is much smaller. It's one of the little shapes around the dent. A portion that should be silver, isn't.

View attachment 184937

So, for details, even considering the "dings" I mentioned, I'll give it 8/10.

Summary:
EFX has produced what is, in my opinion, one of the nicest licensed Fett replicas available. I think it looks better than the Master Replicas helmet from years ago.
This PCR is based on a direct cast of the screen used ESB, and even though it was cleaned up for mass production, the overall size and shape looks great!
The helmet also features metal ears and range finder stalk, as well as flashing LEDs in the range finder itself.

View attachment 184938

Is it dead perfect? No, but I feel that the flaws are minor, and if someone wasn't concerned about the collectibility of the helmet by keeping it in untouched condition, they're fairly easy to correct.
I think it's well worth the price, and I'm very pleased to have it in my collection!

My final rating is a solid 8.5/10. (y)

If you have any comments, or would like to share your own opinions or impressions of the helmet, please do!
I just received a new eFx Boba Fett helmet about a month ago when the new orders finally shipped (Feb. 2021), and I noticed my helmet does not have any of the brown patches on it. I'm referring to the greenish/brown splotches on the backside, top and under the dent of the dome. Is this something that they are doing now on all the helmets, or do you think it could have been a mistake? Everything else looks exactly the same as in your review except... no brownish patches.

Hmm, not sure if they have changed their methods during finishing, but I'd consider the lack of brown patches to be a plus. They were pretty overdone on all the ones I've seen.
I know this is a older thread, but I am seriously considering getting this (EFX) helmet. As far as overall construction goes, does the helmet feel "flimsy"? Does it bend or anything like that?

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back