Correct silver and masking fluid

TantivOdessa

New Hunter
What is the most accurate silver for boba? I have tamiya chrome silver and rustoleum metallic silver. The rustolium is nice and shiney, has a near mirror finish but looks too reflective. What is the best silver to use?

I tried using rustoleum metallic silver but the humbrol maskol damaged the finish and paint as they are both oil based.

I had good results with Tamiya X11 Chrome Silver, the trick with most chrome/silver paints is to promote adhesion to the subsequent layers by letting it fully cure and to wipe off any residue. Following advice from some other painters I then scour it with 000 steel wool and the seal it with Humbrol satin cote. When taking these steps l I had no issues with the Maskol or with paint peeling off.

Reading through other threads, it sounds like the original prop used vintage Floquil Bright Silver. It doesn't look to me like Archive X offers anything metallic. Does anyone know if they plan on putting one out? Is Tamiya X-11 pretty agreed upon in the community to be the closest substitute then?

Tamiya make awesome silvers! X 11 is very common. I use Tamiya ts 30 on all my helmets and I'm very happy with it!
Unfortunately there is no information about Archive x doing silvers in the near future.
But maybe anyone else got some updates about that.
I would love to have some Archive x metallics too !

Baruopa
When building my ROTJ Fett I went with an all Boba Maker solution (Armor/Jetpack). Many of you may know, but Boba Maker finishes his pieces to 501st standards. Being this was my first attempt at cosplay painting, like most, I was a bit nervous in my painting ability. So I commissioned Boba Maker to finish the Chest Armor, Shoulder Armor and Knee Armor as I wasn’t comfortable in mixing paints or decal placement.

Needless to say when I got the pieces I was blown away with the work! I attempted to recreate his finishes on the Collar, Back and Cod/Kidney Armor. I was met with pretty good reception. But before I began my painting I was asked Boba Maker what he uses for paints. He told me he uses exclusively Tamiya paints, while I didn’t ask for specific model numbers I was able to nearly match his paints…
7D4EBEA0-CD93-4A12-9A13-3D841146FADD.jpeg

And the Tamiya X-11 seemed to be a direct match! So thats why I say Tamiya X-11 and for my ROTJ Fett I cleaned out my local hobby store of the stuff for a few months haha! Again I use it as the base of my work.

Thanks,
-Iron

Last edited:
This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back