Cheap Fans - OFF Mosquito Repellent

DeathProof

Active Hunter
To follow up with my last thread on CAT CRAP....love that stuff....I mentioned that I didn't use helmet fans. Well.....

The convention over the weekend went well, but man oh man....there was NO circulation of air. No windows, no open doors, and our booth was tucked away in the corner. As a result, I found myself taking my lid off several times just to breathe. Not acceptable. I don't like the idea of taking off the helmet during a troop (unless in a closed off area) because it takes away the mystery of who's behind the helmet. Plus my helmet hair is just horrendous.

Another reason why I didn't get into helmet fans too much is because I didn't think there would be enough room for everything in my helmet, plus the cost of these little squirrelly things is a bit much...$50 for fans plus shipping to Canada and exchange is a lot. I know it's a lot cheaper if you wire them yourself, and I did try that, but wasn't overly successful at getting what I wanted. Attempts that I had made always sounded like a beehive in the helmet.

One of our troopers who's in the same boat as I am showed me what he does for fans and I just thought it was the smartest idea ever. Apparently the good makers of OFF mosquito repellent developed some kinda weird bug force field that you attach to your hip.

IMG_0047.jpg

Without inserting the actual repellent cartridge, and with a simple mod of taping down the trigger (see green tape), I was able to just velcro this guy into my lid. I've even got room on the other side of the helmet for a second. The fan has great circulation as it is open on most sides and with the curvature of the helmet, it blows around nicely. The unit is quiet to a point (you can't hear it outside), but from not having a fan to having a fan next to your ear, it does make a difference in hearing what's happening outside the helmet.

IMG_0049.jpg

These cost $10 or so. Depending on the model you find, some run off 2 AAA batteries, but the ones I found only run off 1 AA. For the price, the size, the benefit, no wires, and only one AA battery, I think it's a pretty good deal.

I don't plan on it :)

Currently in my helmet I have:
  • RF lights
  • RF Servo
  • Fan
  • Padding
  • Soon to be wireless transmitter for mic

Very fortunate for the helmet to be large enough to house all of that.

Nice find. I will pick one up and give it a try. How long does the battery last?

Huh...amazon has a 3 pack of these things for $14. I think I may have to get some just to try out. I have blowers I bought off of amazon for $7 for a 5 pack, but these are definitely worth taking a look at.

Does a actual store stock these? Also Cat Crap... I am interested also? A bit late for me to order one. I may check out Bass Pro shop later today.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back