Building an R2D2 unit

cyberpyrot

Active Hunter
a few people showed interest in my R2 unit and wanted me to start a build log. I did not have every step listed but I will do my best to keep it updated as I move forward.

I started off by purchasing a water jet cut dome for about $600 it came with the bearing system for the head movement but with out any gears or motors..

IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0024.JPG

I carefully cut out all the panels and sanded all the edges. most builders go for a brand new shiny R2D2 but I wanted a droid that looked like it has seen a lot of republic/rebel battles.

I found some blue metal flake paint at Micheal's I was able to run through my airbush the first attempt was just a color test I later sanded it back down to paint it with the flaking weathered paint job I wanted.

IMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.JPG

once I decided the paint color was what I wanted I needed to repaint all the pieces with the masking for weather and paint chips I also used a Matte clear coat to give the paint a dull old look. I found it easier to paint the pieces if I hot glue a Popsicle stick to the back.

IMG_0050.JPGIMG_0044.JPGIMG_0051.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_0053.JPGIMG_0046.JPG

As you can see I also purchased the Aluminum Radar eye for $130 and painted that as well.

IMG_0059.JPGIMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0064.JPG

at this point in the build I was in need of a Radar lens since these cannot be purchased I decided to make one I found at Hobby Lobby had plastic Christmas ornaments that where two half spheres that you could put a photo in. I took one half cut it to size and painted the inside black.

IMG_0068.JPGIMG_0067.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0069.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that looks fantastic! Where do you plan on going with this? Do you want it to be a full scale replica of R2D2 or are you just building the top? Also do you plan on putting electronics in it?

Man that looks fantastic! Where do you plan on going with this? Do you want it to be a full scale replica of R2D2 or are you just building the top? Also do you plan on putting electronics in it?

Have you guys ever known me not to go all out with it? I will do full motors and servos doors will open light saber will pop up head with move light sounds it will roll around. here is one of many control boards and motors..

IMG_0026.JPGIMG_0025.JPG

Lightsaber

IMG_0581.JPG

You have a point there lol. That's what I like to see man. If your boba suit is any indication of how this will turn out its going to look perfect. Where'd you get the saber and what's that specific control board for?

You have a point there lol. That's what I like to see man. If your boba suit is any indication of how this will turn out its going to look perfect. Where'd you get the saber and what's that specific control board for?

I built the saber from found parts IE (Graflex camera flash, Exactra calculator) the controller board is for a 2 axis cnc machine I had lying around in my garage.

I am Lunchboxwars over there (meh, wish I had same username on both) great job on that paint weathering you did on your dome!

Have you guys ever known me not to go all out with it? I will do full motors and servos doors will open light saber will pop up head with move light sounds it will roll around. here is one of many control boards and motors.

Oh man I'm really going to enjoy this one.
Looks A-MA-ZING, already!!!
Good luck mate! :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back