Budget $20 mannequin! Tutorial

By no means am I a professional on making props or really anything[emoji23] and I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this here on the threads, but this is a little how-to on a cheap budget mannequin for just under $20 (minus the base). *CAUTION* not suitable for around young children. Now this is my first tutorial so bear with me :p
Materials:
•2 1/2 - 3 ten foot PVC pipes 2" in diameter
•5 2" "T" fittings or connectors
•2 2" "L" fittings or connectors
•3 2" end caps
•metal coat hangers or similar
•an assortment of screws and or bolts
•possibly an assistant
•and a whole lot of patience
First: get a general measurement from the top of your shoulders to the floor without boots on. Subtract about 8" from that measurement and cut two pipes to that length.
Second: measure from your shoulders to your wrist with your arm straight subtract 4" and cut two more pipes to that length.
Third: measure the inside hight of your helmet then add about 2-3" (this can be trimmed down later). cut another pipe to that length.
Fourth: cut 4 pipes to 3" in length (these will hold some joints together)
Now that you have most of the cutting work done it's time to assemble. At the end of the two longest pipes put the "T" joints (you'll use 4 of them) have them facing opposite direction on each pole. Choose your favorite end of each pole then add the 3" pipes to each side of the "T" joint. The ends with the 3" pipes add the other "T" joint connecting both poles. On that same end add the "L" joints for the arms then add the helmet measured pole to the top. Attatch the arms and end caps to the helmet pole and arms. And hopefully through my babbling nonsense of a tutorial it should look like the pictures. Now for the hands bend the wire coat hangers to the shape of your hand then attach them to the ends of the poles. Use the screws or bolts to make some set screws to hold the pose of how you want your mannequin. (Especially where the neck is or the helmet will fall off and you will have a national crisis on your hands!) and if you want bent arms for a different pose just add more angle connectors. I have mine leaned up against a wall because I have not yet found a way to make a base for it. (That's why this isn't a good idea if you have children) and as far as the helmet if it seems a little too far from the shoulders just trim down the neck pipe until you achieve the desired height. To stuff your kit I used towels in the legs and a pillow in the chest.
Now if your wondering why there's one big bolt in the neck I used some parts laying around the garage and didn't have the 5th "T" joint so I had to jerry rig one. If any of you find a way to make a base please feel free to post it here. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728734.620271.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728753.933098.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728762.549140.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728773.124132.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728787.385667.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728796.364495.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728809.774488.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728829.410801.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728843.282848.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728859.941525.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1407728869.806551.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever use a backplate without the jet pack and if so how did you fasten the bottom down?any help would be great thank you

I tried this last year and the whole thing kelp tipping over. I widened the stance and still.... I ended up just buying a real one. I dont know how this works for some people, my whole thing would tip over and crash. : / you should seen my neighbors when I dragged it out to the trash. Lookin at me like "I live next to a weirdo"

I eventuall built a base for mine out of mdf and a pole coming out the back of the leg just like a real mannequin. It definitely is easier to buy one already made but they aren't very universal for shorter or heavier mandos ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back