Bucket Painting TEMPLATES

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I'm very excited that you guys thinks so highly of that tutorial. I like to take the oppertunity though to say that I never thought of this as "The Ultimate ESB helmet", that was the titel Jez decided to give it after he recieved the finished helmet. I never called it that.

Anyway, I also like to say that just like you guys I didn't came up with these techniques myself, nor do I take credit for them. All I did was paint the bucket they way I thought was the best way to get the job done, listening a lot to people who had done this before me. However, I can't say this enough times, there's no easy short cuts to accomplish a good looking Fett helmet. Before I made the ESB helmet for Jez I'd made four others, using every singel technique I could think off, masking, scratching and so on. Non had the look I was after. It wasn't until I spoke with who I concider the ORIGINAL Fett MAISTER "MOTORFISH" that I feelt ready to tackle a Fett helmet again. As far as I'm concerned he's the one who started the "movie" accurate painting style (others could have done it before him though). He told me all about he's trade mark topical technique and I decided to try it out on my ROTJ helmet. I liked it a lot but later refined it a bit for the ESB helmet. You see in the end that's all what this is about, you pic something up, refines it to suit your own personal needs. I'm sure the same goes for the Templates. Even if they work great for Fettpride it's not that certain it will for the rest of us. I've tried something similar on a Fett helmet before and I didn't like the look it achived.

Trust me when I say that the only good way to do this is by practice, trying out new things and experiment on your own (helmet that is and nothing else). This board is a good proof that many people here are doing just that! Back in the days good Fett helmets were far between, now they are just everywhere! Just take a look around, you guys are doing INCREDIBLE jobs without those darn templates! Spideyfetts helmet thread is a fantastic example of this, one of the best Fett helmets I've ever seen! I for one ALWAYS pays attention to any tip and help I can get, I also try to return the favor as often as I get the chance. However, I NEVER take it for granted. The sad fact is that some people are just lazy, and that will never change.

Regarding the question on my tutorial, yes I will probably paint my next (this one is for my personal collection) the same way. I can't think of anything new to add except for my E-mail address: stevetheswede76@hotmail.com If there's anyhting at all you feel needs to be explained better or have questions to ask, don't hesitate, just shoot me a mail.

Oh, BTW. Here's a question for those of you who have seen the original helmet up close. Was the silver applied topical or as an underlaying layer!? When I did Jez helmet I think the common believe was that it was done topical. Has that changed?

Wow, I just can't write short posts, now can I!:lol:

Cheers,

Steve.

STEVE THE SWEDE said:
Oh, BTW. Here's a question for those of you who have seen the original helmet up close. Was the silver applied topical or as an underlaying layer!? When I did Jez helmet I think the common believe was that it was done topical. Has that changed?

Both the tour photos and Joe Johnston's comments seem to support that the majority of the silver appears to be masked.

Steve,glad to see you 'round these parts again:D Your pencil method tutorial on Jez's website along with the high res. pics posted by Art and along with Lee's color list were my Bible for which I created my own bucket!!! I'll say thank you here again for all your guys work that was so openly shared.

I too was inspired by your work and couldn't agree more that templates are no substitute for the immense amount of other work that goes into painting an accurate Fett bucket. The washes alone are enough to drive one crazy.

Steve

The tale tell sign is the ratical shapes of the silver areas and the definition of the line. On my own bucket I can tell what I did topical and what I id with masking just by that.

And not to beat a dead horse with a Fett Bucket but as it has been said by just about everyone in this forum... Templates are a tool, not a solution.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back