bmx potty + filler = helmet?

Thanks for that SD! You've just managed to put a smile on my face:D (not an easy task:cry ) Simulating an alloy finish? Personaly, i'm a fan of humbrol 27001 metal cote, a dull silver and when applied at the correct thickness does'nt show brush marks, although best applied with an air brush. The nice thing about these enamals is they are hard wearing so scratching through subsequent layers will give you the desired effect....

Do you have a paint list for the other humbrol enamels? I figure if I'm going to pay shipping I might as well get the rest of the colors I need. By the way, do you buff the metalcote at all or do you just leave the airbrushed finish? What thinner are you using and do you need a black primer underneath to get the best finish? Sorry for all the questions.

SD68 said:
Do you have a paint list for the other humbrol enamels? I figure if I'm going to pay shipping I might as well get the rest of the colors I need. By the way, do you buff the metalcote at all or do you just leave the airbrushed finish? What thinner are you using and do you need a black primer underneath to get the best finish? Sorry for all the questions.

No problem SD, i would go for a "mid grey" primer and then your metal cote.This will give a muted alloy sheen, you don't want a polished finished. Leaving this for a couple of days to cure will also give you the toughest finish.The grey i've used for the "base" colour is humbrol no.79, the dome and cheeks are No.120. This colour looks wrong compaired to most other colours used. But when i've looked at the reference images/movie pics it looks close to me. The next layer is over the grey on the mandibles/trim, i've used no.73,an odd sort of red/purple. Between grey and red on the mandibles and side/rear trim. i used no.96 and 73 , 50/50 with black to darken tone. (the back trim was just right, the front not dark enough!)...i'll disclose the other colours as i move to the back of the helmet:) ....( obveously i made an error and you apply the purple before the red) I used humbrol thinners, 50/50 with the paint for airbrushing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres the right ear with first the grey over silver masked areas, then re-masking and then Humbrol no.94 air brushed on. This colour has come out quite light, but it should tone down with the correct amount of weathering... Now to start masking for the rear...!

DSCF0004_33.jpg

Apologies if you're getting tired of these pics, but i'm nearly done:)
The back did go a bit random in places, but overall the scheme seams to work. The only problem was with the light blue which i could not work into the masking scheme, it was just to difficult .This may have to be applied topically....

DSCF0001_56.jpg

DSCF0002_46.jpg

DSCF0003_39.jpg

TF it looks incredible. The back is just as impressive as the front. What off the shelf humbrol colors were you able to use or did you have to custom mix?

TF you mentioned coffee and tar for a weathering medium. How do you plan on using them to weather the helmet? As overall washes or pinwashes? By the way I never get tired of looking at the photos. Impressive. Most impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments, the colours on the back were again humbrol grey no. 79 ( In retrospect this colour is a shade too dark) over the grey went no.23 ( this is too blue, i should have mixed in a smidge of 103, a creamy colour) the light blue would have probably gone on next, but it seemed like too much work! The final green i'm pleaed with and was no.76 and 96 with a smidge more green than blue. With the mask still on i darkened the green with black and ran around the colours perimeter....

Just got my TF bucket last night, the quality is only superseeded by TFs custer service! I will post a full review this weekend with pics showing off its yummy goodness! Later in a few months I will do a paint up thread for it as well. Thanks TF

terminal fettler said:
Apologies if you're getting tired of these pics, but i'm nearly done:)
The back did go a bit random in places, but overall the scheme seams to work. The only problem was with the light blue which i could not work into the masking scheme, it was just to difficult .This may have to be applied topically....

Light Blue color???

Spideyfett said:
Light Blue color???

I suppose its almost duck egg blue, appears in random small areas all over the helmet and would have gone on before the base grey, making it the first colour onto the silver. Or is it just me?:)

terminal fettler said:
I suppose its almost duck egg blue, appears in random small areas all over the helmet and would have gone on before the base grey, making it the first colour onto the silver. Or is it just me?:)

I'll see if I can pull a pic ...

Thats the helmet painted.(apart from the symbols) All the markings were hand masked to get that slightly wobbly feel( i definately achieved that!) with some non intentional bleed on the kill stripes (oh well) I will now re-buff all exposed alu. to polish it and this will also knock back colour contrast before weathering is applied (i hope)...

DSCF0001_57.jpg

DSCF0002_47.jpg

DSCF0003_40.jpg

DSCF0006_26.jpg

Spideyfett said:
Light Blue color???

I see what he is talking about, I think some folks see that to be a sandy type color. Its left a bit unclear on the RS color list. I like the color you used TF, without seeing the bucket in person its hard to say what that color is.

Here is a color corrected pic of the back. (as much as could be corrected)

I would venture to say that I feel it is an egg shell color but more of a tan then a blue.

246.jpg

Helmet 20.jpg

Just looking at the picture on the right Evan, its the colour within the silver, not around it i'm having trouble with, is this what you're referring to? I 'm seeing this as "bluish" still:)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back