BMX Old School /new school riders/collectors on TDH

Darth Voorhees

Well-Known Hunter
Preferred Vendor
Well my helmet sale thread brought out a couple of BMX guys i never realized were on here. So im curious...how many of you are also into BMX, BMX freestyle etc..old school or new school..whatever...id love to see how many of us are actually on here!

I will start by saying ive bee a BMX guy since i was kid..was big inot the freestyle scene frm 86-about 91 or so. Got back into riding in 2003-2007...i then joined the legion in 2008 so i wasnt really big time into it after that, but its one of those things that never goes away. I still have a bike i mess around on and just aquired an old chool 87 Haro Master frame i want to restore and build up with all oldschool parts..as a rider, but nice. Def not a livingroom carpet queen haha.

So..lets hear whos into BMX on here...feel free to post some pics , old or new!

Here is a pic of me in 1990 on my old Haro Master
1987%20HARO%20MASTERMINE_zps7v7vw4zc.jpg

here is my first freestyle bike..1985 Haro Master ...a bit of a mess but it was my first Haro and i rode them ever since
1986%20HARO%20MASTER%20new%20scan_zpsxpxcf42c.jpg

i eventually upgraded to this 87 Haro Master
1988%20HARO%20MASTER%20new%20scan_zpszpqcupvs.jpg

Had a few bikes throughout the 2000's as well

Nice bikes !! I started like all middle class kids where I grew up - on a Huffy Pro Thunder ( yellow and blue). Graduated 8th grade and got a nice purple 85 Dyno Compe - wanted a GT Pro Performer but my mom wouldn't buy it for me. Rode the Dyno for a few years and then got an 87 Kuwahara Bravo Pro Team frame and fork that was sitting at the local bike shop for some time ( $200 back then). I liked the looks but really didn't like the feel - actually felt long to me, like a Haro , whereas the GT/Dynos always felt smaller to me. Mostly flatland with a little ramps. Good old 1/4 pipe days where you had one shot to hit it and that was all haha.

After that got into street racing cars and stopped with the bikes for a bit. Got married, engine blew in the car and fixing the engine " wasn't in the budget " so out of spite I went and bought a 1999 GT X-Games bike ( before the brand went to Walmart). Heavy bike but still fun to ride. My knees kill everytime I ride now so I don't do it too often but still have the GT. Been wanting to buy my friends GT Show but now I think that isn't in the budget myself ( and I am now single).

I've been into old school BMX for many years, but I sold the majority of my collection about 4 years ago or so. In my time collecting Ive been lucky to own a lot of the bikes I dreamt about when I was a kid. Now I just have a Diamond Back silver streak, PK Ripper and a MT Racing Silverfox which is my old school rider.... which is bizarre as I was mainly into freestyle and all the bikes I now own are not... Oh I do have a 88 Diamond Back Hot Streak F&F on the way to me from the States. In fact it was probably BMX that got me out of Trooping in the early 2000's, I had just joined the Legion with my old TK armour then discovered Old BMX's on ebay! So completely opposite to DV's story!

Here's a few of my old favorites and ones I have on my photobucket account, some you'll know some you wont!

Peregrine Expert
Dscn0772.jpg

82 Haro Freestyler (Oh why did I sell this??!!!)
Dscf1105.jpg

87 Team Sport - not all Era correct but it was build to ride
TeamSport4.jpg

Prolite Freestyler (Craig Campbell Signature) you guys in the States will prob no know this on
Dscn1074.jpg

I should have lot more pics of other bikes if anyone is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day, but I can still remember how fun it was. Had a Haro Master, then later went for the RedLine ProLine (as the Haro was a heavy pup)....set up for racing and some mild quarter pipe riding. Wish I still had it just for nostalgia....

I started BMXing in the early 80's getting my first bike in 81' when I was 12. As my username suggest I was a Kuwahara lover and had an original ET BITD which was stolen and never seen again. Over the years I have owned and ridden many bikes. I was a racer more than freestyler but did own a Haro Sport and GT Performer at different points late 80's. I grew up in Livingston, Scotland where we have a huge concrete park. Which I rode when not at the track.

i met Eddie Fiola and Mike Dominguez back in 85 at the park. I think this influenced my later freestyle purchases. Lol. Still have a signed VHS from Eddie, also sign by Dave Breed. Mike signed my school shirt as he was on Haro which I got a clout round the head from my mum for and she washed it.

2921C864-CB6B-4D0A-A026-C40B020A1910-4154-0000065F86D11873_zps2f009bf0.jpg

Stopped riding as most do when I discovered beer and women. But still randomly had bikes over the years until 2006 when I started racing again and discovered old school collecting too.

here's one for you Lou, I forgot I ever owned this! its amazing what you find on photobucket!

View attachment 96994

Yes!!! this is exactly what i want to do with the frame i just got...well...with the chrome rear end though. But yes! i LOVE it!

So much so that a couple of years ago, i got a St Martin TEN frame which was a flatland specific frame..and did it up like this with layered die cut vinyl i did on my vinyl cutter:
100_4911-copy_zpskkxaad8z.gif

And here is an old Master i did up in the early 2000's... My dad worked at a print shop back then and had the decals made for me. i sold it like an idiot. At that time they werent worth what they are now. I think i got the frame for $100 and sold it for $125 or so... now it would go for 3 times that. sighhh
1988%20HARO%20MASTER%20FRAMEBLACKampWHITE%205_zpsnzvwirh7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I've been into old school BMX for many years, but I sold the majority of my collection about 4 years ago or so. In my time collecting Ive been lucky to own a lot of the bikes I dreamt about when I was a kid. Now I just have a Diamond Back silver streak, PK Ripper and a MT Racing Silverfox which is my old school rider.... which is bizarre as I was mainly into freestyle and all the bikes I now own are not... Oh I do have a 88 Diamond Back Hot Streak F&F on the way to me from the States. In fact it was probably BMX that got me out of Trooping in the early 2000's, I had just joined the Legion with my old TK armour then discovered Old BMX's on ebay! So completely opposite to DV's story!

Here's a few of my old favorites and ones I have on my photobucket account, some you'll know some you wont!

Peregrine Expert
View attachment 96990

82 Haro Freestyler (Oh why did I sell this??!!!)
View attachment 96991

87 Team Sport - not all Era correct but it was build to ride
View attachment 96992

Prolite Freestyler (Craig Campbell Signature) you guys in the States will prob no know this on
View attachment 96993

I should have lot more pics of other bikes if anyone is interested.

Nice rides! I LOVE the 82 Haro Freestyler...why DID you sell that? LOL

Saint Martin looks sweet Lou. I had an attempt at flatland in 2000 when I bought a Hoffman EP of a customer of mine when I ran a snowboard shop.

Gave up after about a month and bought a Hoffman Evel Knievel Wembley Stadium Edition and went back to the park. That lasted the summer then hung bike up again for a few years.

This is my current ride...
IMG_9789_zpsofzo7fgj.jpg

I recently ordered the 2016 Haro Master frame, and the 2016 Haro Linage Sport frame. The parts from my current bike will get swapped over to the new master for the most part.
Master
HaroMasterFlatChrome_zps0lmqzwyv.jpg

Sport
Sport16blue_zpsgtmiosmn.jpg

The sport will get built with a combo of parts i have laying around and some new stuff.

The 87 Master i got, will be built with mostly vinatge parts. I may get "new" headset and bottom bracket for it. I already got a stem, seatclamp, and the standers for the fork i dont have yet lol

that St Martin Ten looks great in the old master style... I've had a couple of Flatland Bikes, I had a Haro Master M6 (I think thats what it was) and swiftly swapped the frame out for an Ares.

Whilst we're talking Haro, here's a few other pics I found...

Custom FST
Dscf1365.jpg

92 Master (No idea what i was thinking with these decals)
92master2.jpg

Custom 85 Sport
sport6.jpg

NOS 85 FST (Dont ask me why I sold it!)
FST85_1.jpg

85 Sport
Sport_85_blue.jpg

Another FST
Dscf1553.jpg

Last one.. promise! 84 Master
Dscf1689.jpg

Wow you had alot of Haros..i am jealous lol Those custom color ones are sick haha! I really like the 92 master. Probably the best twin top tube one they made strength wise. I have been wanting one of those as a rider as well, but havent been actively looking as i really wanted the 87/88 one first :) If you ever come across one for sale LMK!

Wow you had alot of Haros..i am jealous lol Those custom color ones are sick haha! I really like the 92 master. Probably the best twin top tube one they made strength wise. I have been wanting one of those as a rider as well, but havent been actively looking as i really wanted the 87/88 one first :) If you ever come across one for sale LMK!

Yep I've had a few, I went Haro mad for a couple years, I've had some others on top of those but I couldnt find pics of them. If i come across a 92 I'll let you know (y)

bcd77d8447052eaadbd616362a72371f.jpg

What I'm riding these days with my son's first BMX in front. I'm waiting till he's a bit older before I get him a matching one! We get plenty of people staring and pointing as BMXs aren't commonly ridden here in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone

I never got into BMX, I was an old school muscle bike kid. Here's the pride of my collection, a '63 Schwinn Stingray that has been in my family for a very long time. My grandparents bought this for my mom when she was a kid from a bike rental shop on the boardwalk of Atlantic City. They hung onto it after she outgrew it, and eventually it became my bike that I learned to ride on. As a kid I didn't appreciate it's heritage, I just thought it was an old bike and I eventually moved on to mountain bikes, and it got parked in the shed for years. I was going through some boxes for my mom when I found the bike again in 2008. So I brought it home with me and restored it from the frame up.

Before restoration it was in pretty good shape, even though it needed new rubber and the seat wasn't stock. Not much rust on it either, mostly just the chain. I sourced some New/Old Stock tires, and dropped more than I should have been comfortable with to get a N/OS Persons SoloPolo seat, tore it down to the bearings and completely rebuilt it. It only needed a couple bearings replaced and one of the pads in the coaster break had snapped, but I found those parts locally and got it all put back together.
DSC00988.jpg

Here it is after the restore.
IMG_20130427_142810_874_zps9c108272.jpg

Unfortunately it's back in the shed at my moms. I'll be picking that up this spring though, dust it off real good, give it a bit of a wax and polish. Then on a nice day, take it out and get some glamour shots of it!

Nice rides Guys.

Love the Stingray Mike! those Shwinns are what started the whole BMX thing, even though they werent actually "BMX bikes. Its what the kids would race on and it eventually blew up and then BMX bikes were born from these as these kept breaking!

If you ever get a chance to watch "joe kid on a stingray" its shows the whole history of BMX in it. Very cool documentary dvd

After restoring my 63 I got addicted to the old muscle bikes. So much that I put off building my Jango costume for almost three years. My collection now includes a '64, '67, '76 fairlady, '06 (i think, have to check the serial number), an '08 black friday krate, and most recently an '04 OCC chopper. I should take some time this summer to finish the restore on the fairlady, and get started on the chopper.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back