Attempted BF bucket using WOF plans

Ok... last post for today, I promise. :p I painted the right cheek in silver. Tomorrow I'll do the left one, and add a few details to the face and dome. I still have to do the vents in the back, too... haven't even touched that part yet. After that's done, I'll cover the whole thing in a few coats of clear, and the helmet will be finished.

dsc02260qr6.jpg

:love

I hate you. I really do.

;):lol:cheers

Oooo. Also:

Glad to see you joint the varients. Nice work man. Love it.

Last edited by a moderator:
:love

I hate you. I really do.

;):lol:cheers

Oooo. Also:

Glad to see you joint the varients. Nice work man. Love it.

There's plenty of Boba's and Jango's running around, huh. :p I left the face white so if I decide on a color, I can just go with it. In the meantime, I'm totally digging the monochrome. I can't wait to get started on the armor. I'm gonna have to start a whole new thread on that one as this is definitely not a Boba build now. Took me just over two weeks to build this helmet from scratch.

Some people got it, some don't. It took me over a month to get to where I'm at and I'm still not done.

You've shown that a good custom can be done quickly, as far as the bucket goes. If the armor is anything like this, you'll have a Merc Mando set in no time.

Great job!(y)

David.

Here's the final picture of the helmet. Well, maybe not final, as I still have to put on the clearcoat today. :p
Thank you all for your thoughts, kind words, guidance, ideas, and methods. Couldn't have done it without you.

dsc02260qr6.jpg

I like it a lot, You did an awesome job, especially in such a short time. For clarification though, what was wrong with the vinyl spackling you tried on the dome? It worked except for at the base?

No, it didn't work at all. I let it cure overnight, and it shrank a good deal, leaving large cracks all over. I had to chip all of it, which was (thankfully) pretty easy. Another reason not to use it, how easy it was to chip off. I opted instead to fiberglass the outside, and then used the vinyl spackling to smooth out the interior of the dome.

The time has come to re-do the paint on my bucket to match the new desert-mando theme. Short of paint thinner, which I'm pretty sure would attack the plastic, how do you guys suggest I do that? I'm pretty sure it's not as easy as just sanding it down, 'cause the clear coat would gunk up the sandpaper pretty fast. I need to get the paint off, however, because there are some imperfections I want to fix on the back.

I've also thought about cutting off the dome, now that I have a dremel, and trimming down that extra material that I accidently left on. How I'm going to re-attach it to the bucket, I'm not sure of yet, but I can come up with something.

Ideas please?

~Sam

I think if you can pull it off (cutting and trimming the dome), you should definately mold it so your end product will be a one piece product. I can teach you to do fiberglass molds so you will have the mold forever.

Man, that would be awesome. What would the cost be on buying everything needed to make a mold? I'm kindof on a budget for this whole project.

Well with Silicon molding, all you need is just silicon. with silicon, every single detail will be taken, and you have to usually make a mold of your helmet, cast it, sand it smoother and add more details, and then get another silicon mold.

The cost of that would be around $200 +- $10

However fiberglass molding would cost you around $50. fiberglass mat would cost you around $15 at walmart, and a big can of bondo resin would cost you $30. You also need Carnauba wax which costs around $5 also at walmart.

Silicon molding is much easier because you just brush it on, but with fiberglass molding you need experience in fiberglass mat.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back