Animefan CC MR Premium ESB Paint Up WIP

Just realized I goofed and used Green seventy SIX instead of seventy eight. the tiny numbers on the tins... LOL.
Oh well, a quick repaint is in order. No big deal. :)

I thought it looked a bit dark but it is always hard to tell on computer screens. The masking is easy on the second coat.......lol

Haha after I was done painting I was like... wait... this doesn't look right, and I went and looked at all threads with humbrol color references BEFORE I started painting too! I even ordered MORE of the 78 before I started painting! But yeah you're definitely right, the masking this time around is way easier. I'll have correction shots up shortly lol.

Back panels look good but it appears on some of the area of large block colours on back panels and dome as if the coat is patchy with darker spots almost as if some spots are not fully dry when photo's were taken.

They're dry to the touch. It happened with the dome and the cheeks but not the rear panels, not that I can see at least.

Any idea what the cause could be? Too much thinner? I stay consistent with distance pressure and what not. If I rub it out with steel wool it helps a little

I think I got it this time uploadfromtaptalk1440280565243.jpg JUST got done painting so it's drying.

Sorry dude, I've no idea why that would happen. I thought the pics were not completely dry. I have not experienced this issues. Detailing on the back panels looks great. What a pain they are!

Sorry dude, I've no idea why that would happen. I thought the pics were not completely dry. I have not experienced this issues. Detailing on the back panels looks great. What a pain they are!

Thanks, I'm feeling a little disheartened about the whole thing. I'm still learning as I'm going, but other than the stenciling it's been a struggle! I solved the patchy looking problem as well. I can see now as it's drying.

Also, turns out my airbrush had some issues, something was either clogged or loose in the trigger assembly or something, the part that holds the needle. Took it apart and cleaned it

Were the patches related to the brush?

Don't get disheartened. Everyone has to start somewhere. I think the stenciling looks good and sharp and not many people get that down first time. I was trying to be open and honest rather than unfairly critical. My own first (and so far only ) effort was only so so and loads of room for improvement. I'd never held an airbrush before and I had issues with application. Keep going!

It might have been, I adjusted the pressure to be higher and the rear nut that tightens around the needle was loose. I tightened it and the uh... "spinny" thing underneath that and actuated the trigger back and forth a few times. A bunch of gunk came out and the trigger got stuck a bit. So I'm going to blame it on that. ¯\(°_o)/¯

I don't have the pride to say that it WASN'T user error, though.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it really helps me keep going on this project. I'll be painting up my personal helmet shortly after this one, again in ESB fashion (I thought about ROTJ... for a second.) So it's great to hear the positive feedback.
I tried to take some proper shots outside today. The pictures came out smaller than expected. I need a REAL camera... They're either huge and fuzzy or tiny and in clear resolution. Haha.

10354963_605447739558949_730405091534372949_n.jpg

11947532_605447799558943_5108375295337750428_n.jpg

11960055_605447749558948_6265977096146881532_n.jpg

11960170_605447762892280_818486644955413747_n.jpg

11921773_10153214623363985_3673961008149114886_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back