Animefan Budget style Boba fett Helmet Kit Paint up

Hi all had a busy weekend had Friday off as well so spent all my time masking and painting.

20160224_084411.jpg20160223_105616.jpg20160227_093449.jpg20160227_120659.jpg20160227_121657.jpg22.jpg25.jpg28.jpg30.jpg

Worked till 9pm on Saturday night to get the red done I will give one tip I kept the layers of humbrol maskol on don't do this as the enamel paint turns it into a solid and makes it hard to remove and get good layering so remove between each layer and re-mask.
Another tip is to water down the maskol if it's too thick but don't over do it as it makes it too thin and you will need another bottle to thicken. as you see on the back plate I will have to go back and apply with the brush more dark grey.

32.jpg33.jpg31.jpg34.jpg35.jpg36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if you were going to leave the Maskol on for all the different layers. I was hoping it was going to work for you as I wanted to do the same for mine. Masking and remarking the same damage for each new layer just seems like a pain!
This lid is looking great man, I'll be watching your progress.

Worked till 9pm on Saturday night to get the red done I will give one tip I kept the layers of humbrol maskol on don't do this as the enamel paint turns it into a solid and makes it hard to remove and get good layering so remove between each layer and re-mask.
Another tip is to water down the maskol if it's too thick but don't over do it as it makes it too thin and you will need another bottle to thicken. as you see on the back plate I will have to go back and apply with the brush more dark grey.

View attachment 96971View attachment 96972View attachment 96970View attachment 96973View attachment 96974

That's why I like this forum so much. Very cool of one builder to say about another's product.

For sure :) Animefan's stuff is very nice and very well made. I make helmets and other parts as well, but there is no reason to knock another persons product. When people ask me about helmets, even though i make helmets, i always mention Animefan, BobaMaker, RS etc as well, because i want the member to make an educated decision based on what they are looking for and their budget. If they go with another maker rather than mine, im ok with that. They need to get what works for THEM :) This is just how i roll :)

Back on topic...this helmet is coming out great man! (y)

For sure :) Animefan's stuff is very nice and very well made. I make helmets and other parts as well, but there is no reason to knock another persons product. When people ask me about helmets, even though i make helmets, i always mention Animefan, BobaMaker, RS etc as well, because i want the member to make an educated decision based on what they are looking for and their budget. If they go with another maker rather than mine, im ok with that. They need to get what works for THEM :) This is just how i roll :)

Back on topic...this helmet is coming out great man! (y)

Thanks Darth Voorhees I am enjoying it but the perfectionist in me is saying it is not accurate enough and the colors don't match up to the screen helmet. I know it takes practice and years of doing this kind of work to make a identical replica but I will struggle on in the Australian heat that dries the maskol on the brush faster than being able paint it onto the helmet. At least it has stoked the prop maker fire in me to think about the next project being a full concept Boba outfit see attached.

Boba-Fett-Ralph-McQuarrie-Concept-Art-0132.jpg

Are you Earing me? lol Had an Einstein moment and used some clear Contact book protective cover to mask the black on the ear piece and will use it for the white as well.

37.jpg36.jpg40.jpg39.jpg41.jpg42.jpg43.jpg

Well I have pushed it through working on it when I get home in the afternoons and have all the airbrushing done now I just have to go back and do the minor parts like the weathered red and other fine spots in damaged areas. Also used the left over silver to spray the stand.
46.jpg47.jpg48.jpg49.jpg

A good polish with a bit of scotchbrite gives the smooth weathered look.

51.jpg52.jpg53.jpg54.jpg55.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back