Alumaluster help.

DarkAcid

New Hunter
So I sprayed my Mando helmet with Rustoleum gloss black enamel for a base. It has a nice shine to it already. Do I need to sand this with a 2000 grit and apply 2K clear before painting on Alumaluster?

After painting on the Alumaluster, would a 2K Clear Glamour be recommended as a final top coat, or should I use another clear like the Alclad Aqua Gloss?

Thanks!

View attachment 226802

I made my first helmet just before Halloween this year and it was a heck of a journey with plenty of mistakes and learning, but overall I think it turned out 90% of the way I wanted. If you're happy with the gloss black then I would apply two to three light, even coats of the 2K letting them dry/cure in between. As the last coast is curing, maybe a half hour after spraying is when I would begin to apply the Alumaluster. Once the Alumaluster is cured you can apply another top coat of 2K.

I will say I had my helmet sanded down with 2000 grit by the time I applied the final layers of gloss black. It really did have a mirror shine and if there are any imperfections you aren't happy with this is the stage to fix them. I was on a time crunch so there are a few I didn't fix but absolutely would have had I had the time. Some I was able to mask with weathering, but they are definitely there.

I hope this helps and good luck!

I know this will sound a little counterproductive but it was great advice from Mr. Mold Maker at RPF.
After your substrate is ready for paint spray first with Duplicolor black sandable primer ( yes flat black).
The 2K clear will adhere and turn it a beautiful gloss black. Let dry. Then add the Alumaluster at around 70% coverage
to keep a deep rich metallic look. Don't touch and let dry thoroughly. Then final 2K clear.
This worked absolutely great and I even used the first two steps to repaint a First Order Tie Pilot to a really nice
black gloss. Everything was painted with a Badger two stage airbrush. Yes you use more 2K clear this way but
the result was sure worth it.

Attachments

• DSC_1735.JPG
    DSC_1735.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC_1757.JPG
    DSC_1757.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back