A warning to ebay shoppers: "Miracle" ESB Gauntlet build

MLS

Active Hunter
I dubbed this build the "miracle" esb gauntlet build. When I accepted this commission, I wasn't quite sure how much work was going to have to go into this set of esb gauntlets provided by the buyer. He had sent me a MOW flightsuit to dye and weather, I set of evo boots to weather, and an ESB gauntlet kit. When I gave my price, I bid the job to get it, shaving maybe 25% off what I would have normally would have quoted. The buyer told me that the ebay seller had done some "prep work" to the set of gauntlets. When I opened the box and saw the prep work, I contacted my buyer. True to my word, I kept my quote the same. I was not going to raise my price on him. I did however, ask for time and patience while I worked. These are "miracle" gauntlets. A miracle that someone would sell these to someone, or a miracle that these made it out of a trash can. Well... lets have a look.

These are the first set of pictures I sent to my buyer, explaining the situation. He had said that he had not really looked at the pieces closely.
These pieces had been "prepped"... Well, here's a pic of the left gauntlet from the back. Keep in mind this is already hinged.

1.jpg

...and the right... The first 3 are before I heated the fiberglass and reformed it. You can still see the absurd amount of disproportion.

16.jpg18.jpg15.jpg10.jpg

So, after cutting off the hinges, reforming them back into a relatively close shape... we get this.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg
Still uneven, notice the back edges and front grooves. These were lined up "even" on the opposite sides. Still, the seams where the hinges will eventually go are wobbly at best.

And now the fun begins...

1.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

15.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Too many layers of filling and sanding... and filling... and sanding.... and shaping... and cutting... and adding... and sanding... and filling... and shaping... and cutting... and making new sides that line up.... and adding edges that line up.... and sanding... and filling... and sanding... Do you get the point? The "prep work" consisted of gouging the pieces with something along the lines of a grinding wheel, and spraying a semigloss black on them pieces.

These are some pics I took toward the end of the work before paint.
20141214_031449.jpg20141214_031500.jpg20141214_032105.jpg20141214_031115.jpg19.jpg

I thought independently hinging may be a good idea considering the wobbly nature inside. That didn't work. The hinges bound up and were fighting themselves. Every inch of these pieces needed work. the backsides were angle cut to fit, the grooves were cut/sanded into the pieces (having to add filler to the inside as not to sand through the piece). You get the point...

The flamethrower piece was warped (convex bowed) to pull away from the gauntlet. It was clipped, cut, heated, and reformed.

20141214_034153.jpg20141214_054439.jpg

Moving on...

20141214_032048.jpg

16.jpg

With the prep work "done", I sprayed my primer. Then backtracked and resanded and filled, and sanded some more. Content with the work. The metallic coat went on, the liquid mask, and the RLM 62 Grun applied. Also, the flamethrower and missile that were supplied. Still independently hinged, I hadn't yet revisited that monster...
20141214_085216.jpg

20141214_232450.jpg20141214_232549.jpg20141214_232648.jpg
Pics after the initial paintup, masking removal, topical lark dark gray, and some assembly.

Attached the hose with a brass fitting, rehanged with piano hinges, and installed pin closures. Magnets, wouldn't hold these closed. They wanted to keep falling back to their original shape.
20141217_051050.jpg20141217_051133.jpg20141217_051225.jpg20141217_051658.jpg20141217_051715.jpg20141217_051846.jpg20141217_051817.jpg

The piano hinges had to be Chicago screwed in, they wouldn't sit inside the gaunts due to the wobbly nature.

20141217_051833.jpg20141217_051826.jpg

This thread is not meant to be a WIP or build thread. It is meant for one purpose, and one purpose only- a warning to those who would buy "bargain" pieces on ebay. This is tough for me to post, because I sell on ebay. It's been said, "stay away from everyone one ebay except for MOW". Being that I'm new, and members have bought from me one ebay, I don't feel disrespected by that statement. Though, I offer an alternative- stay away from anyone who sells on ebay, and doesn't sell on the forums. The forums, such as TDH, are ways to keep sellers in check (not that they need it here), with reviews of quality, accuracy, and customer service. In short, do your homework before you buy "bargain pieces". You may be better off paying more, and getting a quality piece. For the time I had into these, the buyer would have been better off buying quality pieces for what I would have/ should have charged him to prep, paint and assemble these.

20141217_051633.jpg

20141217_051721.jpg

I d brought a pair of these in my infancy and without knowing anything...infact if i knew I knew nothing id known something...however i even recognised garbage when i saw it. I contacted the seller with my concerns (similar to as outlined by yourself) and he fobbed me off with some BS ...for me it was an invaluable lesson, stick to the boards, where quality control is maintained. well done on posting this thread... and I've no doubt here are good sellers on ebay, but why take the risk for only a few more bucks...

Great post and serves to back up the long held and oft repeated mantra that ebay is a place best avoided for most things. I also think it serves to highlight that people that have bought junk from ebay need not despair and that with hard work and determination even rubbish can be saved. Good work.

Thanks for the comments all. I'm not necessarily sure of the origins of the pieces, other than they are definitely recasts from at least 2 different sets. There's no other explanation for the size difference. RKD suggested that that one of the sets used was probably a rufkin toys set, though, having not seen one in years, who knows. It really makes no difference about the origin of these. They're undoubtedly recasts. It needn't go any further than that.

wow...what a mess! Nice job in fixing them up though!.....i applaud you for your efforts, and it paid off, nicely done.

Indeed there are a few good ones on e-bay, but unless you know them from a forum first, i think its best to stay off e-bay and on the boards. MOW and Mojo both sell on e-bay and ive delt with both here, and on the 'bay with zero issues. I occasionally sell on e-bay as well, but mostly just stuff i need to get rid of that isnt Star Wars or costume related. I have been known to chuck up a helmet or scout blaster from time to time, but thats about it lol.

I have purchased from Matt on Ebay. He is great to work with and will answer any questions you have. Great job on these Gauntlets Matt.

Awesome job. This is one subject that cannot be reinforced enough. As a seller, I think it's important to post your TDH info on all eBay ads. As a buyer, it is one way to verify legitimacy and establish a certain level of trust.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back