Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. formerly old_jedi_mind_trick Bobby Fett UK's Avatar
    Mar 4, 2009, 10:48 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #26

PM sent.
    Mar 4, 2009, 1:47 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #27

Seems the cure time is a little longer on the cheaper stuff, it has a potlife of 20 mins, but it's still tacky, I'll leave it till tomorrow and hope it's cured from then.

Might need another coat as well, but I've been advised not to rush it
    Mar 5, 2009, 3:48 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #28

Well, the good news is that the cheap stuff bonded to the good stuff. The bad news is that, even though it took a little longer, it's all dribbled off to the bottom.

The mold is still tacky in places, but hey, you don't pay for good silicone, this is what you get! There's a tip for all you guys if you want to try this.

So today, I've tilted the model, so that the stuff won't run as quick and hope that will get me some sort of result.

On recommendation I have bought some silicone, booster and thickening agent from another shop, it's cheaper than the good stuff, but with the booster it should have a similar cure time.
    Last edited by Saz.; Mar 5, 2009 at 4:01 AM.
    Mar 5, 2009, 6:05 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #29

Ok, I've made a key using saturated tissue for it working from ear to ear as the front and back have distinct ridges that will help the fiberglass sink in.

Depending on how well this comes out in the end will depend on whether I will be able to produce a final piece, I may have to cast a one off and then work from that, now I know what I know now

It will need one last final coat to seal the key and then we can go on to the jacket!

Anyhoo, got to head off to lunch with a client, I'll take pics later
    Mar 5, 2009, 11:41 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #30

Well, came home to find my mando helmet looking like he's got a wig on...

I'll let it dry some more and put in the cardboard separator for the jacket, the pot has gone, so I reckon that I can put on the final layer about 8pm.

Hope my ranting hasn't put anyone off too much
    Mar 5, 2009, 11:50 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #31

ALAS THE IRONY!!!! i cannot see your pics of what is surley a splendid build ill have to wait till i get home, but kandosii ner'vod it sounds like this is going to be an amazing piece of work
    Mar 5, 2009, 3:12 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #32

Well, here's one more that you can't see

I've got the key and the cardboard in, ready to settle down and cure. Now, fingers crossed nothing moves while the RTV is slopping towards gravity!

Anyhoo, here it is:

Mar 5, 2009, 5:11 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #33

yes i can see!!!!!!! awsome this bucket looks amazing!!!!! do you have a price in mind yet?
    Mar 5, 2009, 5:45 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #34

Not yet, I've seen the screen accurate stuff go for loads, so I'm probably going to aim slightly below that price as it isn't screen accurate. Basically because I want to ensure it's a quality product still!

I do intend to have it complete though, including ear cap, stalk and RF, but I wanted to get the bucket done first.

I will also look into doing cold castings too, I have aluminium and brass to play with atm.

As long as my costs are covered, I'll be happy.

The art pieces will be a little more expensive as I will be doing only 10 of each, so they will be pretty custom to the people who buy them (I hope).
    Last edited by Saz.; Mar 5, 2009 at 5:55 PM.
    Mar 5, 2009, 5:50 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #35

dude sweet im def gona be interested in one of these, and i like the sound of cold cast this is a great bucket you got here,perfect for my custom mandos
    Mar 5, 2009, 6:33 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #36

No probs, I'll let you know when all my experiments are done
    Mar 5, 2009, 6:40 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #37

sweet!!!! thats awsome, cannot wait
    Mar 6, 2009, 12:40 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #38

Nice work buddy!! And a fellow Brit too?! Well done!
    Mar 6, 2009, 5:32 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #39

Ta,

The RTV is still a little tacky in places this morning, so I may have to leave the jacket till tomorrow, if it dries ok later, I'll pop some mold release spray on it to prepare for the process.

Good news is that I got to it whilst it was thickening and filled in the gaps between the cardboard using a coffee stirrer and some of the off dribble, I even managed to fill the earpiece in too!

Even better news is that my dad's given me a fiberglass repair kit that he never used since he quit windsurfing, there's just enough to make a jacket and i don't have to fluff about with measuring the resin I bought!

That will make the process quicker for me.

I will have to trim the rubber back once it has completed as I looked underneath and there has been some underseep, I expected that. A Stanley knife is all that's needed to correct that

Working on the ear piece today now my business work is completed
    Mar 6, 2009, 7:20 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #40

Well, the mold is a lot less tacky than it was and I have given it a mold release spray, tomorrow is the day for the fiberglass jacket and hopefully the mold will be completed.
    Mar 7, 2009, 5:16 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #41

Yay! It's fairly warm outside, so i don't have to pickle myself in chemicals indoors

I'll be putting the fiberglass jacket on sometime today, will take pictures!
    Mar 7, 2009, 8:43 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #42

Well, the jacket is finally done, the British weather held off for me, though I put up an umbrella just in case.

So I started using this kit my dad gave me and was merrily wetting the fiberglass matting when I started to notice that my brush was getting stiffer and the stuff was coming out like jelly. One mad scramble later and I realised I was not going to finish up with this.

So I had to get some more matting and some of my casting resin and finish off... let's see if you can guess where the free stuff stops and my stuff starts...

Anyhoo, I realised I had to be quick with this stuff and stopped wetting the stuff on a piece of card, but wetting it in on top of the model, still had to pour another pot though when the first started to gel up. Used bigger pieces of fiberglass mat for the dome area to speed up the process.

I've found some bolts, but the resin hasn't cured on the rear enough to put the drill through. Once that has done I will be trimming the mold and bolting the bad boy up!

I'll have a wander through TDH and see what's been going on.
    Mar 7, 2009, 10:05 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #43

That looks like alot of work; you are a brave soul

You seem to making some nice progress though!
    Mar 7, 2009, 11:11 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #44

Yup, loads of progress now, I have pulled the shells away from the RTV and pulled the master out of the mold, as expected, some of the cardboard parts of the master didn't survive very well and I will have to fix it if I ever need to make a master mold again. That's not for today, so I've cleaned up the RTV but it is a little on the thin side, I will certainly be needing that thickening agent.

I also made a few mistakes with the fiberglass jacket, as the rubber is thin, it tends to fold away from the fiberglass shell when I am trying to fit it into it, so, next time, not only will I put bolts to keep the two halves together, I will place screws in at the base to ensure the mold is placed correctly.

I had to spend a good 20 minutes getting it right so I could place the screws in.

But enough of me, here's the master mold

I will have to make a copy from this mold and work on it I am afraid, as I found a bubble one of the key slots. I may try fill this in with PVA glue though, I haven't decided yet, but I want to make sure that the final cast will be perfect, so I need to have a master that won't fall apart on me.

I will be really careful when I give the process a go tomorrow to ensure that I get a perfect cast!

Edit:

I ended up using a latex based glue to fill in the two air bubbles, though it isn't the best solution, it will be good enough for the one cast.

I will also do my cold cast experiments with this mold too.
    Last edited by Saz.; Mar 7, 2009 at 9:11 PM.
    Mar 8, 2009, 6:53 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #45

Hey guys,

The gelcoat has been placed in the mold and I am waiting for it to dry before I attack it with a second layer.

Will then mix up some resin "mud", which is basically resin and glass balls to strengthen the areas that might tear the fiber when pulled (the indents and the ear pieces mostly!)

Just checked the thickness of my Stormtrooper and it really isn't that thick, so I will ensure that the whole thing is coated in fiber.

It will make a great experiment for doing the real ones, to make sure that I do this correctly and with quality!

Will be off teaching wrestling today, so I may not get to show you till later tonight.
    Mar 8, 2009, 3:02 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #46

Hi guys,

Well, the first attempt was made, but it wasn't as successful as I'd liked. I don't think I fitted the rubber mold into the jacket correctly and the dome near the ear pieces warped.

I was also late for wrestling and I began to rush the job, the result? Airholes!

I didn't have any pigment to put in the gelcoat, but here are the shots, the red circle is a massive hole on the cheek plate, I think I did this trying to get a hair out.

If I have time I will make a second attempt tomorrow, but this time I will ensure that the mold is fitted correctly and I take my time with the process.

Mar 10, 2009, 7:17 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #47

I'm having issues, the second one came out with a bump as well, so I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board with this and see if I can come up with a solution.

Problem is that the mold seems to sag into recesses in the jacket it appears.

Grr.
    Mar 10, 2009, 11:16 AM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #48

Saz, I didnt know you were casting a mould, this is great work, I'm gonna watch this one so I can learn how you did this, I wanna try to copy my custom once I finish it. I just got the dome covered in bondo, gotta just make the custom cheeks and wrap.

I just thought of something.... YOU CAN MAKE A MANDO BUCKET LAMP SHADE, seriously, that bucket you got there is just transparent enough to put one of those color changing LED party bulbs.

Both of my buckets are made from cardboard and glass so no transparency, but yours is a resin cast and it looks cool.
    Last edited by adonian; Mar 10, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
    Mar 10, 2009, 4:45 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #49

gotta say, looks good. i myself have wanted to cast stuff and seeing a brave soul as your self really encourages me to try it out.... i am also curious as to what you are gunna do with the resined screw ups?
    Mar 10, 2009, 7:23 PM - Re: My Contribution to TDH #50

yeah, me too. you gonna let em go for a great low price?