Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2016
    Sep 5, 2016, 9:13 AM - Seal or no seal? Black wash? #1

I just finished my helmet paint up and now I'm wondering if I should avoid sealing all together or if i should seal it with a dull clear coat?...but with that I'm worried it will take away from the shiny metal like apparance of the dent and other silver damage...?

I also read about giving it a black wash which is apparently mixing black acrylic paint with windshield washer fluid and giving a good spray down leaving a weathered dirty effect....anyone got any views on this? Any help?

2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
  3. Member Since
    Mar 2016
    Sep 5, 2016, 11:47 AM - Re: Seal or no seal? Black wash? #2

I have not finished my helmet, so I would wait for the real experts to chime in. I say always coat it for protection. I made tons of plastic models years ago, and those are not handled as much as a helmet. The paint on my models can come off if handled a lot, so I always coat with dull. I believe the same concept can be applied to the helmet.
    I'm in the middle of painting my helmet, and I plan on dull coating it when finished. I'd rather not repaint it if the paint accidentally gets rubbed off somehow? haha... I will be airbrushing with acrylics, so I really need to dull coat it. Maybe dull coat around the silver and the dent, and then gloss coat them?

also, I am going to dry to do a wash, but I will use a brush for that.
    I refer to superjedi's painting threads, and he's very experienced and talented.
    Sep 5, 2016, 2:10 PM - Re: Seal or no seal? Black wash? #3

Rogue Studios felt that this method helped to blend the colours in nicely as per his paint list thread. I've not done it myself but can test it out on a helmet that I'm not fussed about if it helps people although you'll have to wait a few days. In fairness Rogue Studios did a heck of a lot of work on painting helmets and developing his colour list; his list is the basis for a lot of what now happens so if he recommends it I'd say go with it. Personally I wouldn't use a dull coat or clear coat as I feel that both acrylic and enamel are quite hard wearing once dry.
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f23/r...chniques-3630/
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2016
    Sep 5, 2016, 4:49 PM - Re: Seal or no seal? Black wash? #4

Thank you..that's very helpful..I was leaning more towards not sealing it at all because I also used acrylic paints and figured it wouldnt rub off so easily and also i don't wanna risk ruining all my hard work lol...as far as the black wash is it ok to do without a clearcoat?..If anyone's done this post pics of ur results please..
    Sep 5, 2016, 5:26 PM - Re: Seal or no seal? Black wash? #5

Here is mine, unsealed with a blackwash

This is a trooping pic, I would have to search for an indoor pic of just the helmet.