Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Apr 2009
    Aug 6, 2009, 3:44 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #126

gonna have to try this out!
    Sep 3, 2009, 3:02 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #127

Hey, I want to say that this is a great tutorial, very easy to follow, and I plan to use it on my own bucket very soon. I did have a couple of questions, however, if you'll indulge me.

First, what'd you use to enclose the circuit board inside the helmet? Second, how did you secure the circuit board inside the gauntlet?

Thanks,
    Tyler
    Sep 3, 2009, 4:50 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #128

I have to figure out where to put the controller on my ESB. The gauntlets might not be an option. I may put them in my pouch somehow, or on the belt.
    Sep 17, 2009, 11:46 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #129

TD2253, Excellent tutorial. I made the first tutorial years ago and I was surprised to see someone had revamped it and got it stickied. I pop in very rarely just to have a look around and I happened across this and was very happy to see that this idea is still alive and well. I'm impressed with the great detail you went into to bring this to the community. Great work! You all continue to amaze me, keep up the great creativity!
    Sep 26, 2009, 10:09 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #130

krillindb said: View Post
    TD2253, Excellent tutorial. I made the first tutorial years ago and I was surprised to see someone had revamped it and got it stickied. I pop in very rarely just to have a look around and I happened across this and was very happy to see that this idea is still alive and well. I'm impressed with the great detail you went into to bring this to the community. Great work! You all continue to amaze me, keep up the great creativity!
    Thanks Krillindb! Glad you like it and thanks for your original tutorial that inspired me to try and make one myself.
    Sep 28, 2009, 12:03 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #131

I really must say that this thread has inspired me to start a Boba Fett project. Even if it only ends up an a manni in the prop room next to the others

Thanks for sharring this, really geat stuf.
    Oct 22, 2009, 3:25 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #132

Great tutorial! When I start on my custom Fett I will definitely use this.
    Oct 22, 2009, 4:13 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #133

Thanks for the comments! Here is another way to get your servo to move without gutting it but it will be tethered by the wires instead of wireless.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Servo-Tester/
  9. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Nov 5, 2009, 9:01 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #134

Great tutorial. This one that will definately be used. Am going to try this with my Clone bucket as well to raise and lower the visor. Thanks for the servo formula.
    Nov 6, 2009, 5:52 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #135

tazbrown said: View Post
    Great tutorial. This one that will definately be used. Am going to try this with my Clone bucket as well to raise and lower the visor. Thanks for the servo formula.
    Thanks for the compliment! Looking forward to seeing some WIP pics from both projects!
    Nov 13, 2009, 2:02 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #136

Great tutorial, however up here in Canada, the layout is a bit different for the board and RC car.
    As well, what you called a 'green capacitor' is in fact a small Ni-MH battery
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Nov 26, 2009, 10:12 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #137

Wolfie said: View Post
    dont suppose there is a way to do this with a three way toggle instead of push buttons? I used my push buttons for LEDs in the laser cannons on the gaunt LOL darnit!
    You can use a DPDT switch to act like a power window switch:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=25704
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Nov 26, 2009, 10:21 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #138

I have a question about this servo setup... if one chose to just use a solid-wired DPDT switch, based on what I have seen here, I would simply not connect the yellow "control" wire and run the red to the switch, black to ground... this sound okay?
    Hoping not to smell burning servo here :-)
    Dec 2, 2009, 11:34 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #139

Deathbird said: View Post
    I have a question about this servo setup... if one chose to just use a solid-wired DPDT switch, based on what I have seen here, I would simply not connect the yellow "control" wire and run the red to the switch, black to ground... this sound okay?
    Hoping not to smell burning servo here :-)
    I've tried using a DPDT toggle switch with a center off position by following the instructions on the package plus some internet sources, but the motor kept running somehow no matter what position the switch is on, but when I used two SPST normally open switches (1 for up, 1 for down), it worked only when I pressed either switch button which is the result that I wanted.

Maybe you should test the DPDT switch on something else like a cheap flash light bulb or LED to test the circuit on. This way you don't risk frying your circuit boards and servo.
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 3, 2009, 10:43 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #140

I've tried Radio shack and they don't carry the Zip Zaps. Will any old Zip Zap work or does it have to be Radio Shack brand.

UPDATE: Never mind. I got 2 RADIO SHACK zip zaps for 22.00 off Ebay. I also got the recommended Servo and shaft. I'll try this out as soon as things come in.
    Last edited by yodakiller1138; Dec 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Dec 3, 2009, 3:32 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #141

yodakiller1138 said: View Post
    I've tried Radio shack and they don't carry the Zip Zaps. Will any old Zip Zap work or does it have to be Radio Shack brand.

UPDATE: Never mind. I got 2 RADIO SHACK zip zaps for 22.00 off Ebay. I also got the recommended Servo and shaft. I'll try this out as soon as things come in.
    Awesome! That's a good deal! Looking forward to seeing your WIP postings!
  17. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 4, 2009, 1:55 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #142

Where do you get the motherboard post thingies? Radio shack didn't have them.

UPDATE: Again a NEVERMIND. I went to a local guy who repairs computers and he gave me 5 motherboard posts for FREE.
    Last edited by yodakiller1138; Dec 5, 2009 at 1:57 PM.
  18. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 5, 2009, 12:00 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #143

TD2253 said: View Post
    I'm not sure if it will work coz the stalk mechanism is different on the MR helmet. The base of the stalk has a notch to keep it from coming down, how hard is it to manually lower the stalk considering the notch? If it doesn't take much effort, you can try modding the stalk to fit over the servo spline and see if it'll move without much effort. The servo can handle about 8 lbs. of force to move a 7" long stalk.

Here is the formula:

oz-inch/16 = pounds of force (1" arm) Now, since the BKBT aluminum RF stalk is 6.5 inches long and the servo is rated at 61.1 oz-inch @ 4.8 volts (4 AAA battery pack = 4.8 volts and I'll just round off the stalk length at 7") then our formula should look like this:

61.1/7 = 8.73 pounds of force @ 4.8 volts

Thanks for the compliment.
    I'm using the MR helmet and all you have to do is take out the spring / locking mechanism so the stalk is free moving. It will be attached to the servo after all. You will also have to cut off the post that the stalk attaches on and just leave the base part as the servo extension will fit in here and serves the same purpose.I've only started the preliminary stuff, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll see if I can take PICs to illustrate what I am talking about.
    Dec 5, 2009, 4:28 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #144

Where do you get the motherboard post thingies? Radio shack didn't have them.

UPDATE: Again a NEVERMIND. I went to a local guy who repairs computers and he gave me 5 motherboard posts for FREE.
    Sweet! Glad you got a hold of some.

I'm using the MR helmet and all you have to do is take out the spring / locking mechanism so the stalk is free moving. It will be attached to the servo after all. You will also have to cut off the post that the stalk attaches on and just leave the base part as the servo extension will fit in here and serves the same purpose.I've only started the preliminary stuff, so I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll see if I can take PICs to illustrate what I am talking about.
    Would appreciate you adding to the tutorial for the MR helmet. Looking forward to some WIP pics! Thanks!
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 6, 2009, 8:46 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #145

Is there an enclosure you put the boards in?
    Dec 6, 2009, 12:51 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #146

Is there an enclosure you put the boards in?
    I left the transmitter board in the gaunt without an enclosure since it's already protected in the flamethrower housing. But for the receiver in the helmet, I bought a small enclosure for it because it will be exposed to moisture (perspiration) and I didn't want to risk shorting it out. CLICK HERE for the link to the small enclosure.
  22. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 8, 2009, 11:46 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #147

I've been having a little trouble getting the solder to stick to the control pads.

By the time I got anything to stick they're brown. Any advice.
    Dec 8, 2009, 5:29 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #148

Pre-solder the wire and then carefully heat the wire with the solder iron while holding it down on the control pad. Then when both wires are soldered, apply some hot glue on both leads to prevent them from breaking off. I know how you feel, it's the most tricky part of the tutorial.
  24. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Dec 12, 2009, 10:55 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #149

Well, I got the servo finished and fitted to the stalk and that came out great, but had to buy another Zip Zap. Got a Bumblebee for $10. So the interior guts should look like your PICS and be easier to figure out.The others I did got a little burned trying to solder the bush button leads on , so there was not as good a connection as i wanted. I'll try to do what you suggested. But getting the battery connected , etc. is very simple and everything turns on right. Just have to get the push buttons on correctly and I'm GOOD TO GO.
    Jan 10, 2010, 6:43 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #150

Well, after taking time off to move into my first home, I'm back to working on my ESB Fett. I managed to get the RC working, but the servo doesn't even come close to being able to lift the RF arm. When lowering it, the servo gets the ball rolling, but it's the weight of the stalk that actually seems to pull it down, when I try the "up" position, no luck, you can hear a faint whining sound from the servo but it appears that it would need to be many times stronger to put the arm in the "up" position.

I have an aluminum stalk, some kind of resin, or molded topper, an acrylic looking window section, and a self contained LED device. There are also 2 small earth magnets holding the window section to the topper. Is it just too much stuff ? What does everyone else
    have ? Could it be the batteries ? Its;s killing me that I bought 2 of those servos ( the first one was junk ) and now it won't lift the dang thing. I read previously that it should handle up to 8 pounds, and I know the RF is less than that.

Any suggestions, or recommendations on a better servo ?

Thanks everyone.