Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Gunslinger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8
    Nov 5, 2008, 1:01 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #51

    Dangit, lol! Just found this thread this morning- Add another couple boxes to the lid checklist!

    Amazing bit of inguenity there TD2253! I love that level of detail!
  2. Pilot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19
    Nov 7, 2008, 6:09 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #52

    This is absolutely brilliant!

    I have a small suggestion to make soldering the pads a bit easier - you won't have to be nearly as careful to avoid a short, and it won't make any functional difference to the unit.

    The cheeseball diagram below pretty much shows it all. If you take a sharp X-acto or utility knife and carefully (CAREFULLY!) score the board where my red line is, you will effectively separate the pad in half. Don't cut too hard or deep; you should only have to make one or two fairly light passes to cut through the thin plating that comprises the pad.



    From there, just solder your wires as usual. If your cut is correct, you can actually blob on as much solder as you want (not recommended, sloppy solder jobs make me angry LOL) as long as you don't bridge the cut you made.

    If anyone ever wants/needs any soldering advise or tips, just say the word. I used to teach a wire and connector repair course for the US Navy and I'm still miniature/micro-miniature circuit repair certified.

    -Rick
  3. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Nov 7, 2008, 8:02 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #53

    Quote Pilot said: View Post
    This is absolutely brilliant!

    I have a small suggestion to make soldering the pads a bit easier - you won't have to be nearly as careful to avoid a short, and it won't make any functional difference to the unit.

    The cheeseball diagram below pretty much shows it all. If you take a sharp X-acto or utility knife and carefully (CAREFULLY!) score the board where my red line is, you will effectively separate the pad in half. Don't cut too hard or deep; you should only have to make one or two fairly light passes to cut through the thin plating that comprises the pad.



    From there, just solder your wires as usual. If your cut is correct, you can actually blob on as much solder as you want (not recommended, sloppy solder jobs make me angry LOL) as long as you don't bridge the cut you made.

    If anyone ever wants/needs any soldering advise or tips, just say the word. I used to teach a wire and connector repair course for the US Navy and I'm still miniature/micro-miniature circuit repair certified.

    -Rick
    Thanks for the great tip Rick! Maybe I can pick your brain one day regarding electronics and such! BTW, welcome to TDH!

    Quote Gunslinger said: View Post
    Dangit, lol! Just found this thread this morning- Add another couple boxes to the lid checklist!

    Amazing bit of inguenity there TD2253! I love that level of detail!
    Thanks for the compliment Gunslinger!
  4. Darth_Nickel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    189
    Nov 7, 2008, 8:51 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #54

    Quote Pilot said: View Post
    \If anyone ever wants/needs any soldering advise or tips, just say the word. I used to teach a wire and connector repair course for the US Navy and I'm still miniature/micro-miniature circuit repair certified.

    -Rick
    Rick - YES. Any tips/tutorials, pictures, everything... I have learned by trial and error, so I am the KING of sloppy soldering... I would love to be better. Every time I solder I feel like I need 1 to 2 additional hands and I have a hard time breaking surface tension.

    So I say... start a new thread and teach away.
  5. Pilot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19
    Nov 7, 2008, 9:52 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #55

    Thanks for the welcome, Gene! I've been around these parts before, but apparently too long ago and got purged at some point.

    I'm not much of an actual circuitry design guy, but I can build or repair a board if the parts are in front of me and I have a schematic to work from. I tend to do more hacking and cobbling - often with dubious results, and I've got plenty of experience with Magic Blue Smoke. An electrical engineer, I am not.

    But I'll tell ya what - my solder joints don't break.

    I've been meaning to put a soldering tutorial together for a couple of years now, sort of a boiled-down version of that course I taught. Since Darth_Nickel asked, I suppose I should actually get to writing!

    I'll see about getting something coherent together over the next few days, with some pictures and such. I know I can't be the only military-trained tech here, so maybe some of the other folks can jump in and keep me honest in case I forget something.

    Back on-topic...I think I have some R/C airplane guts in a box somewhere, and I know I have two or ten of those little cars (11 year old son - yeah, that's my excuse!) laying around. I'm very curious now to see if I can make a similar gadget with what I have on hand. We'll know before the weekend is out!
  6. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Nov 7, 2008, 10:39 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #56

    Quote Pilot said: View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, Gene! I've been around these parts before, but apparently too long ago and got purged at some point.

    I'm not much of an actual circuitry design guy, but I can build or repair a board if the parts are in front of me and I have a schematic to work from. I tend to do more hacking and cobbling - often with dubious results, and I've got plenty of experience with Magic Blue Smoke. An electrical engineer, I am not.

    But I'll tell ya what - my solder joints don't break.

    I've been meaning to put a soldering tutorial together for a couple of years now, sort of a boiled-down version of that course I taught. Since Darth_Nickel asked, I suppose I should actually get to writing!

    I'll see about getting something coherent together over the next few days, with some pictures and such. I know I can't be the only military-trained tech here, so maybe some of the other folks can jump in and keep me honest in case I forget something.

    Back on-topic...I think I have some R/C airplane guts in a box somewhere, and I know I have two or ten of those little cars (11 year old son - yeah, that's my excuse!) laying around. I'm very curious now to see if I can make a similar gadget with what I have on hand. We'll know before the weekend is out!
    Sounds good! I served in the Navy for about 16 years as a jet engine specialist but more on the mechanical side though rather than the electronics part of it. I look forward to seeing your tutorials and learning a few tricks of the trade!
  7. Pilot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19
    Nov 8, 2008, 5:22 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #57

    Ah, a fellow squid! I got out as an AE1...put in a little under 13 years, and just got fed up with it and left last year. I'm much happier now!

    After looking through all my spare parts boxes, I found my airplane innards but not any of the Zip-Zaps. I'm going to make a RatShack run tomorrow and see if they still have any, by chance. (edit: being the lazy bum that I am, I just snagged two real cheap on eBay LOL) I'm not sure the servos I have will support the weight of a stalk, but it's worth a try!

    I've also started writing up (what I believe is going to be) a very comprehensive soldering guide. It'll be some days or more before it's ready to be released into wild, but progress is being made.
    Last edited by Pilot; Nov 8, 2008 at 5:58 PM.
  8. Pilot's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    19
    Nov 16, 2008, 6:37 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #58

    Oh man, I hate posting after myself....

    Good news: I have a Bumblebee Zip-Zap and an airplane servo in the same room with me right now.
    Bad news: It's a digital servo and won't work right without the receiver board out of the plane. Bah.

    Good news: The soldering tutorial is still progressing!
    Bad news: Not nearly as fast as I'd hoped, so it'll still be a while yet before I'm ready to post it.

    Good news: By the time I get an analog servo, I should have a helmet nearly ready to install it in.
    Bad news: Bumblebee must die.
  9. Noturno's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    30
    Nov 18, 2008, 6:50 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #59

    Hey man, Thanks for the tutorial, Muito bom mesmo!!!
  10. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Nov 18, 2008, 7:23 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #60

    Quote Noturno said: View Post
    Hey man, Thanks for the tutorial, Muito bom mesmo!!!
    No problem Noturno!

    Quote Pilot said: View Post
    Oh man, I hate posting after myself....

    Good news: I have a Bumblebee Zip-Zap and an airplane servo in the same room with me right now.
    Bad news: It's a digital servo and won't work right without the receiver board out of the plane. Bah.

    Good news: The soldering tutorial is still progressing!
    Bad news: Not nearly as fast as I'd hoped, so it'll still be a while yet before I'm ready to post it.

    Good news: By the time I get an analog servo, I should have a helmet nearly ready to install it in.
    Bad news: Bumblebee must die.
    Hey Pilot,

    Yeah I was an AD2 and yes, I did get tired of the bureaucracy (BS) as well. I had to kill Bumblebee too!
  11. SkylaFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    40
    Nov 19, 2008, 10:26 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #61

    TD2252,

    I'm having a little problem. I have everything wired up but only one monterary switch works and when I press the switch it moves the servo when I let go of the switch the servo returns back to the starting point. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?
  12. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Nov 20, 2008, 7:19 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #62

    Quote SkylaFett said: View Post
    TD2252,

    I'm having a little problem. I have everything wired up but only one monterary switch works and when I press the switch it moves the servo when I let go of the switch the servo returns back to the starting point. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?
    Hi SkylaFett,

    Hmmm...looks like you might've short circuited the control pads. My advice is to follow what Pilot posted on post #52 and make a cut in the middle of the control pad to disconnect the contacts and avoid short circuiting the pad itself. Good luck and I hope this helps!

  13. Nov 28, 2008, 10:10 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #63

    Brilliant tutorial! Is there a specific RC you suggest, or will most work? How loud is the servo when in the helmet?

    Again, nice job

    EDIT: Sorry, it seems I have another question. The picture in which the ensamble is completed: what is the red wire on the remote circuit board for, the one to the right of the wires leading to the AAA box?

    A pic for additional explanation:

    Last edited by TheGhraveArtist; Nov 28, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Additional question
  14. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Dec 1, 2008, 9:49 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #64

    Hi TheGhraveArtist,

    Thanks for the compliment! Most RC car sets should work as they all have the same concept. But since the ZipZap cars are micro in size, they work the best when space in your helmet and gauntlet is prime real estate.

    As far as the noise coming from the servo, it isn't that loud and you only have to activate it once in a great while anyway.

    For the red wire that you pointed out, that is the antenna wire coming from the transmitter board. I had to solder a longer one so I can get more range with it.

    I hope this helps and good luck!
  15. JASTER_MEREEL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47
    Dec 2, 2008, 1:32 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #65

    Great tutorial!!!!!!
    Thanx for all of your hard work.....
    talented!!!!
  16. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Dec 2, 2008, 1:47 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #66

    Quote JASTER_MEREEL said: View Post
    Great tutorial!!!!!!
    Thanx for all of your hard work.....
    talented!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment!
  17. fettwho's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    276
    Dec 2, 2008, 2:01 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #67

    This is a cool tutorial. I cant find the same kind of zip zaps here in NZ, but i have just picked up a cheap micro racer. Its only 27mhz, compared to the one you used. this Im guessing shouldn't matter to much IM still on the hunt for the slim servo's. Hopefully I wont have to hunt to far... But this is a definate mod for my helmet
  18. TJDFett's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    314
    Dec 2, 2008, 7:13 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #68

    OK, I can NOT apologize for this any more than I possibly am. I am a new member, but my account with TDH has been in effect for a few months now. I have a question. Why am I so restricted to what I can and can't access. I CAN'T visit the cargo hold, I CAN'T post new threads (which is what I wanted to do to ask these sorts of questions, (but I COULDN'T!)) and I want to know how I can gain these privileges. I'm so sorry for asking this way (through a comment), but I had no other choice (or at least I couldn't find another choice).
  19. 4505marcel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118
    Dec 4, 2008, 5:31 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #69

    Awesome tutorial mate, I want to do something along these lines when I receive my helmet. But was thinking about a non radio version.
    Possibly activating the servo by wire up the sleeve to guantlet, direct battery to motor drive via switch. Or switch monted in the helmet itself activating the servo just to simplify things.
    Could this work
  20. TD2253's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    610
    Dec 4, 2008, 5:55 PM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #70

    Thanks for the compliment! Yes, you can do something along the lines of hard wiring the entire system or connect the switch directly to your helmet. I actually have a dual servo driver that I was tinkering with and I believe that attaching your RF servo will work great with it. The best thing about it is that you don't have to modify the servo, all you have to do is connect it to the board and give it a power supply and your done! Here is a pic of it. It has two potentiometer knobs, one for each servo and the servo will actuate as fast or as slow as you can turn the knobs. This is available HERE. Hope this helps a bit!


    Last edited by TD2253; Dec 4, 2008 at 8:07 PM.
  21. 4505marcel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118
    Dec 5, 2008, 3:52 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #71

    Thats the kiddy, quite big at 2.5" square. They must do a single controller version which would come in abit smaller though. I havent got my Boba yet so dont know what the inside on the guantlets look like. Would something like that mount in a guantlet do you think?
  22. GreenGriffon is offline GreenGriffon
    Dec 5, 2008, 4:09 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #72

    Quote TJDFett said: View Post
    OK, I can NOT apologize for this any more than I possibly am. I am a new member, but my account with TDH has been in effect for a few months now. I have a question. Why am I so restricted to what I can and can't access...
    From the TDH FAQ:

    When does a new member get full access?
    In short, after being a member for MORE than 14 days and making more than 9 posts.
    A member with less and 14 days of membership and less than 5 posts is considered a "new member" and has the most restrictions. Once a new member has 5 or more posts AND has been here MORE than 14 days, they will be automatically promoted from a new member to an “intermediate member.” Once they have 10 or more posts AND have been here MORE than 14 days, they will be automatically promoted from intermediate member to “full member” and will have full access to the board.
  23. 4505marcel's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    118
    Dec 5, 2008, 7:36 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #73

    Where do you get the ali link rod that goes on the servo splines? Or is that something you have made yourself?
  24. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Dec 5, 2008, 8:02 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #74

    Quote 4505marcel said: View Post
    Thats the kiddy, quite big at 2.5" square. They must do a single controller version which would come in abit smaller though. I havent got my Boba yet so dont know what the inside on the guantlets look like. Would something like that mount in a guantlet do you think?

    2.5 inches is about the same size as the Hyperdyne RF board. Take it off the protective case and put it next to the servo. I've been using one for 2 years and never had an issue with it being to big.
  25. I helped at SDCC '08 NovallTalon's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,032
    Dec 5, 2008, 8:06 AM - Re: RS Zip Zap Mini RC RF Servo Tutorial #75

    Quote TD2253 said: View Post
    Thanks for the compliment! Yes, you can do something along the lines of hard wiring the entire system or connect the switch directly to your helmet. I actually have a dual servo driver that I was tinkering with and I believe that attaching your RF servo will work great with it. The best thing about it is that you don't have to modify the servo, all you have to do is connect it to the board and give it a power supply and your done! Here is a pic of it. It has two potentiometer knobs, one for each servo and the servo will actuate as fast or as slow as you can turn the knobs. This is available HERE. Hope this helps a bit!



    Nice driver board indeed. If the pots can be replaced with a switch then it would be great!

Similar Threads

  1. servo
    By teabo in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 21, 2009, 5:22 PM
  2. Servo Info
    By GrottyFurball in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 24, 2007, 11:41 AM
  3. Need Servo help
    By bobafett669 in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct 23, 2005, 10:06 PM
  4. RC RF servo help!!!!!
    By thksdad in forum Boba Fett Helmet
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jan 15, 2005, 12:20 PM
  5. Would a tutorial w/pics actually help?-Added vest tutorial
    By LisaFett in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Oct 31, 2002, 9:27 PM