Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

New MR Fett Helmet Master

Re: New MR Fett Helmet Master

That thing rocks! (edit: 'nuff said - wouldn't want all my accolades to end up making a bigger hole in my wallet )

We're not talking about your daddy's stormtrooper anymore...this stuff could get good. Really good.

Wicked good job Lee.
    Last edited by SingleSeat; Mar 14, 2006 at 8:12 PM.

From
    Lost in Kentucky

Anyone want to by an original DP Deluxe?
    Mike

From
    Orlando, FL

Wow I agree with everything else stated in this tread, congrats to Lee for getting the opertunity to give MR a TRUE Fett paint jobto go with their helmet. I hope it comes out even half as good as the master did. But if Lee is working with MR to help figure out a way it can be done, then it might come out decent. This is on my buy list for sure.

I too wonder about what happened to the other guy they had...

Thanks a bunch everyone it's not perfect but hoepfully it can be replicated almost the same. The thing is weathered all over the place and I did a few things I have never tried before.

Awesome Hero RS! Are there any other tasty details you might be able to give us TDH'rs the inside scoop on, about this much anticipated MR release? Huh? Huh? Can ya'? Maybe like machined/cast aluminum range finder, metal casting of the Borden Tool, Working LED's etc.? We await with baited breath.......

From
    Las Vegas, NV

believe the ears and stalk will be aluminum. I know the prototypes ears were machined but not sure if the final will be cast or machined. Not sure on the borden connector or LEDs. It should have a real MQ-1 casting in the back as they have a real casting.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Wow, that's a beauty! I think this will help MR tremendously.

From
    Ft. Worth, TX

if MR can reproduce that I will be in SHOCK!!!

I am praying they can pull it off.

RS can you give us some info on HOW they are planning to do this???

I had a talk about this and some good ideas are being worked up as ways to do it but of course I'm not sure leaving that for China to figure out.No matter what you do in mass production it can't replace a human hand in a cost effective approach. The MR folks are already putting sweat into the process so it is a major focus right now.

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

It should be a fun ride.

From
    The first state

The ONLY critique I'd like to offer, (which has nothing to do with the paintjob) is that the LED's need to be recessed into the rangefinder. On all of the images over at TDH archive the LED's are clearly not protruding out of the rangefinder body, but instead recessed completely.

Thought I'd mention this in case MR is watching this thread too

Steve

RS,

Did you paint over Jason Eaton's earlier, much-maligned paint job or did MR give you a new fiberglass bucket to work on?

Tom

Well I don't want to give Jason a hard time he did his best to produce what he thought was needed. I sanded down the helmet and then primered it and started it up the ears were metal so I just used thinner on those. The LED's were installed already and the RF is a solid piece in the black area. The LED's are actually different on the real helmet but TD can tell you about that.

Lee

From
    Corbin, Ky

Lee,
    Since you've seen this bucket up close and personal, can you tell us if it is a symmetrical mold or did they try to replicate the assymetry of the original molds? Thanks.

To be honest if I didn't have an original casting this would be the holy grail to me. They did fix some assymetry but they didn't alter the helmet they scanned if that makes sense. It's also assymetrical so it's not perfect so breathe a sigh of relief it's actually a great compromise. Looking at it next to my original it looks better to be honest since if they didn't fix stuff you would get lumpy bumpy helmet LOL. I was also relieved to see everything matched up very very well. For the record this is not a Don Post on steroids it's a scanned copy of an original and in my opinion and I don't feel I am biased but it's the best damn helmet you can or will be able to own.

From
    Muskegon, Michigan

RS.. you are amazing! :thumbup

hmm...yea...I think I'll have to sell off my current bucket when this ragin' lid comes out.

From
    San Antonio,Tx

Wow!This helmet is awesome! I'm ready to buy one right now.The detail on the helmet is sick.

From
    Indiana

Great work Lee

Is there any way you could give us a size comparison ? Do you know what its size is compared to say a Mystery, or MS, BM, or DP95 ?

Just thought i'd ask incase you had any of the above mentioned helmets to stand next to it while you were working on it .

I know larger headed people would like to know if their mellons are gonna fit and by the same tolkien of if it's going to look too bobble-headed on a smaller framed person

thanks man

Well it's not as big as you imgaine but it's also not that small either. It's just it's own creature but a nice sized noggin will fit in it...a melon head will fit, a gourd head will not LOL. A

From
    Parts Unknown

Hey RS,
    i was looking at a (koenig collectibles...i think) website that offered presales on this helmet. They had a limited ed and a collectors ed. Do you know the difference? And do you know how much these will cost?
    Thanks

From
    Las Vegas, NV

That is odd because neither of those details have ben fully hammered out yet.... Sounds like someone is jumping the gun.

From what I know this is the only helmet in the works but of course I have only been involved with this for about 7 days.

From
    Amity

Hey Lee,
    What would you say the quality of the fiberglass on this helmet is? was it atall flimzy wile handleing it?

First rate all the way. I think the people who did the work on the Vader helmet did the work on this. In the dome it's very similar to the real deal.