Jul 6, 2012, 5:46 AM - Something very, very special. #1

Live the dream.

2. Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Jul 6, 2012, 5:56 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #2

Beautiful. All real parts I assume?

Craig
    Jul 6, 2012, 6:06 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #3

Craig, the flash tube is a Heiland. It's a 3 cell Heiland and it's close to the MPP but it's still not an MPP. I've only ever seen one MPP for sale and didn't buy it. It was 200 and I passed on it although now I've got all the other bits I'd probably go that far. This Heiland was about 30 and is close so I'm not unhappy with it.

I've been looking for a thread that had various different templates for different flash tube holes. Can't find it though. Anyone help me out?

Everything else is as it should be, Parts from 1977 Revell Visible V8 - connecting rod and pulley front half (parts 65 and 107), ASI 4x20 scope with correct hero receiver rings and tall mounting pads/feet, Hirschmann LMK - AM aerial earth plug and Molex connectors courtesy of some excellent Dented Helmet men; Bojagun and BH-2647 respectively -thanks men, oh and the other bit..............................

Andy
    Last edited by intwenothor; Jul 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: grammar
    Jul 6, 2012, 7:16 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #4

Wow!

That is sick!
    Jul 10, 2012, 4:19 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #5

I keep looking at the pulley front half and some stills and can't help thinking it might be a bit small. I can't be sure though.

I look at this picture:

and this close up and I can't make it marry up in my mind

What confuses me is that when I look at the light dot that appears to be just under under the connecting rod in the picture I think it might be the pin that can clearly be seen on my real Webley above (behind/to the left of the main breach point). The problem is that the angles and dimensions don't add up for me. When I replicate the angle of the screen still with my real Webley then that pin would have to be further back in order for it to be in the same place as the light dot under the connecting rod. Maybe the light mark that appears under the connecting rod might actually be a light mark on the connecting rod itself.....

Maybe it is part 107 and I certainly want the pulley front half to be right but looking at that light mark has really thrown me. Is the light mark just 'weathering' on the connecting rod?

Anyone?
    Last edited by intwenothor; Jul 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM.
    Jul 12, 2012, 3:59 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #6

IMO that dot is on the V8 rod itself and the pulley part is correct. I just held up my real Webley barrel (showing off) and pulley/rod assembly in comparison with your pic on my screen and the 'rightness' of it is just too great to deny.

SAS
    Jul 12, 2012, 5:51 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #7

Showing off??

Thanks for tkaing the time to look and reply. That dot has been really bothering me.
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2003
    Jul 16, 2012, 5:55 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #8

Hey Andy

Did you make any progress with your ESB EE-3?
    Id love to see some pics

Markus
    Jul 16, 2012, 1:02 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #9

that is amazing. what a work of art.
    Jul 16, 2012, 2:04 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #10

It's a beautiful set up and picture, glad you showed it off. I recently laid out all my real and close to real ESB EE-3 parts just like that (replica bronze Webley ) I forgot to take a picture though.

Can you bring yourself to chip off the back top of the stock? It's easy to say I would but if I had one of those in hand maybe I wouldn't be able to.
    Jul 16, 2012, 3:41 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #11

Quote OdiWan72 said: View Post
    Hey Andy

Did you make any progress with your ESB EE-3?
    Id love to see some pics

Markus
    In a word; no. I know I said I was happy with the Heiland but now I'vebeen thinking that having come this far that the MPP (or certainly something a lot closer to one) is really important. If it was a resin kit I wouldn't mind but now it's become more important to me. I also need to construct some scope mounts and centre stock greeblies and my work schedule for the summer makes that look unlikely any time before October, which will give me more time to look for an MPP
    Jul 16, 2012, 4:14 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #12

Quote intwenothor said: View Post
    In a word; no. I know I said I was happy with the Heiland but now I'vebeen thinking that having come this far that the MPP (or certainly something a lot closer to one) is really important. If it was a resin kit I wouldn't mind but now it's become more important to me. I also need to construct some scope mounts and centre stock greeblies and my work schedule for the summer makes that look unlikely any time before October, which will give me more time to look for an MPP
    I guess you could mount the heilland in a non-permanent way to use as a mock up while you search for an MPP?
    I know that my blaster is resin, but I could take my heiland out at any time (although it is stuck in there pretty good).
    Jul 16, 2012, 4:56 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #13

I'm wondering what an old Vader FX looks like under the trappings? Dimensionally the width is spot on
    Jul 16, 2012, 6:01 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #14

Only one way to find out
    Jul 20, 2012, 10:50 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #15

Well, I've just bought a MR vader ESB fx (2005) model. I actually already had one but It was a gift and so didn't want to carve it up. Once I've dismantled it I'll post some pics of what it looks like under the detailing. If it's suitable and essentially correct then it could be a good way forward for many of us.
    Jul 20, 2012, 10:56 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #16

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the result!
    Jul 21, 2012, 3:24 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #17

Pure awesomeness bruv... very envious!
    Jul 21, 2012, 4:35 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #18

Quote intwenothor said: View Post
    I've only ever seen one MPP for sale and didn't buy it. It was 200 and I passed on it although now I've got all the other bits I'd probably go that far.
    From the last numbers ive seen - now you can double or triple that amount, for a decent one. And even then its even harder to find than to pay.

Remember, each Lightsaber collector needs at least 3 of them for his Vader sabers. So the prices go up.
    Jul 21, 2012, 11:54 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #19

Blimey, six hundred pounds. The one I saw was this year!!!!! I do have a lot left over from having saved so much to buy the Webley, I'll see what a chopped up fx looks like, if that's no good I'll consider a carving up a MR Vader ANH LE, those things are ten a penny. I bought one complete with all the boxes and case for 140 so that may be an option. Either way it's a lot less tha six hundred. I had thought about trying to get a parks but I keep reading bad things about supply and delays, some mighty ticked off people out there.
    Aug 2, 2012, 5:10 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #20

Any luck with the FX? I'd really like a MPP replica, wish I had jumped on one back when they were more common and relative to now, cheap but of course back then I was cheaper.
    Aug 4, 2012, 9:11 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #21

yes and no. When I get a day off work I will post pictures to explain.
    Sep 4, 2012, 10:48 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #22

Out with the old:

in with the new:

Very, very Special.

Sep 4, 2012, 10:50 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #23

AWESOME!!
    Sep 4, 2012, 11:39 PM - Re: Something very, very special. #24

Very cool!

By the way, if you are still on the fence about the connecting rod, I think you should set your mind at ease based off of this ref photo in the gallery.

Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

That white dot is definitely connecting rod weathering.
    Sep 5, 2012, 7:20 AM - Re: Something very, very special. #25

Quote Fettered said: View Post
    Very cool!

By the way, if you are still on the fence about the connecting rod, I think you should set your mind at ease based off of this ref photo in the gallery.

Boba Fett Empire Strikes Back Costume - The Dented Helmet Gallery

That white dot is definitely connecting rod weathering.
    Indeed, it also shows that the circular greeblie at the least is on both sides. I'd always wondered about that. Therefore I think it is reasonable to assume that the connecting rod would have been there too, although this picture does make me doubt that the pulley front half is the correct part even more.