Jetpack advice

From
    Orlando, Florida, United States

Jetpack advice

So I am now a proud owner of a MOW Jetpack. It arrived yesterday and I am extremely happy with the quality. I am going to delve into painting, and since this is my first piece I was hoping for some advice as I have never done this before. I have many threads on how to apply paint etc.. but some things I am unsure of when it comes to resin especially for the jetpack.

1.) Should I be sanding this? I know I have to take off the excess where is it molded together, but if I should sand this what should I use? grit type paper, steel wool, should I wet sand?

2.) It comes with a resin becon and stabilizer. How do these attach? glue? if so what type should I use? I do plan on replacing them with aluminum in the near future will this be an issue if glued on? How do I know acurate placement of these two items? Should I just go from a picture?

3.) Filling. If any area needs to be filled what should I use on resin? A bondo type covering or something else?

Any advice for prepping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

~J

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Re: Jetpack advice

Wow lots to say...
    1. yeh you need to sand it...get off whatever is big first with like 220 then hit it with 400 and then 800 is what Id do...if it was a smooth cast I would hit it with 0000 steel wool and then prime it with filler primer...

2. Id attach a bolt to the peices and bolt them to the pack so theyre removable...pictures from the gallery of actual used items are your friend not peoples work

3. I think christian recommends something specific for this resin, some sort of putty i forget what it was called

From
    Northeast U.S.A

Re: Jetpack advice

I used Bondo spot putty. It comes in a tube... no mixing required. You just use a the little you need. I'm almost done with my MOW. I only needed to use a bit of putty on the thruster balls to hide a seam line.