Don't know where to even start.

From
    Fort Worth, Texas

Don't know where to even start.

Like many of you, I'm sure, I've always wanted a legit Boba Fett costume. You go to cons and other events and see these guys (possibly a few of you, ha) walking around in these amazing Fett costumes, and immediately begin to drool.

I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks now, seeing how people make their armor, how they weather them. Where some even buy pieces, ect... and I must say, it's rather overwhelming. I have no idea where to start.

I am by no means rich, so getting stuff made by others seems almost entirely out of the question. But i have no means, resources, or skills to do it myself. (Unless you count the trashcan armor, which is honestly looking like a great option, haha.)

Idk, I guess i'm asking for advice and encouragement. My girlfriend thinks it would be a waste. "Where would you EVER wear that thing?" she says. Even though my answer is almost always, "Everywhere..." I dont think she's buying into it. haha.

Anyways, any help would be amazing. I really need a good shove in the right direction.

Help?

From
    United States

Re: Don't know where to even start.

This is my first post so it will be one new guy to another. I don't have a Boba Fett costume, but I have other costumes and I've used the same approach in creating all of them.

In an ideal world you'd have the money to buy (or skill to create) perfect pieces for your first costume and get it all right the first time around.

My experience is that never happens. Most of the time I've gone through two or even three versions of each costume, with only a few parts surviving from the first to the final, and even those surviving parts usually have major modifications and upgrades.

For example I've done a couple of versions of Ghostbusters, and even after upgrading it and rebuilding a whole new backpack and trap almost none of it is up to the current standard with all the great new research people have done. If I ever join the Ghostbusters costume group I'll have to redo almost everything again. But I don't regret making the costume twice. It's still great for Halloween and costume parties.

Bottom line, it's better to start a less than ideal costume than wait for everything to be right and never start at all.

So start making the trashcan armor. You'll learn as you do it and gain some skills that will let you move on to the next step.

From
    Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for the response.

I totally get what you mean. "It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all."

My biggest worry is not necessarily losing interest, but getting frustrated with my work. Like weathering and painting and sewing. Things I know i will fail at at first, and getting disappointed and giving up. Guess that's why i'm posting about this, just need to encouragement and motivation. Plus, anyone know some great cost-effective ways to make armor, such as the trashcan armor, a point in that direction would be greatly appreciated.

Account Deactivated

I believe just the opposite.
    Scrimp and save and buy the very best parts that your budget allows the first time out.
    Upgrading is a waste of time and money. You'll spend more money chasing better parts than if you would have bought them the first time.
    That's how I approached my first Boba. It was my first Boba because I had to sell it, not because I wanted better, but because I really needed the money.
    I am currently building my second Boba. And yes, this one will be better. But that's because better parts have become available since I purchased the original stuff.

Here is my Boba Ver 1.0

Me on the left

From
    Fort Worth, Texas

Ok, so give me a ballpark on how much you spent/plan on spending? I've looked over at bobamaker, and his prices are pretty high. Granted, his stuff looks fantastic, but $300 for the ammo belt? Where else can i get pieces from?

Again, any help is welcomed! I appreciate the input.

Account Deactivated

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f22/n...l-spend-17421/

I forgot to add one thing;
    Do your homework!
    Don't impulse buy and just search around for what best suits your budget. You'll soon see who is selling what items, and even more importantly, you'll see who NOT to buy from.

From
    Fort Worth, Texas

Doing research into making/buying my own stuff was how i found this site! The Rubies gear caught my eye at first, found some pretty horrible reviews online, but I still wanted to see real pictures of it. That search led me here where someone had purchased it, and put up pictures of the the Fett armor (if you can even call it that) they had received. So glad I found this place, haha.

Thanks for the link, btw. That's a real eye opener, I knew this wouldn't be cheap, but i guess I didn't realize just how much.

From
    Kzoo, MI

Start with the helmet first and get it totally finished. It's really motivating to have it sit on your mantel to remind you to finish the rest of the costume.

Here's what I've spent so far on my costume:
    I probably spent $300 to make my homemade fiberglass helmet and paint job
    Trash can armor $30 on trash can from walmartand and paint job
    Flight suit $18 found it in a army navy surplus part of a flee market though I still need to add pockets
    Ammo belt $12 using fake leather cellphone holders from the dollar store
    Girth belt $8 at a online horse training store
    Ankle spats $15 from ebay
    Gauntlets $100, fiberglass. Ebay not including paint
    Neck seal $20 from the cargo hold (continuous run)
    Voice changer $15 solder kit from an online circuit kit store (works great)
    wookie braids $17 Ebay
    Hasbro Blaster $30 including paint job got it at target
    Jetpack Homemade $100 and counting (id recommend buying one)

From
    Home Sweet Home, NJ

Hi, another FNG here.

I spent a good 3 months lurking this site before I made my first purchase. I decided that I wanted to get the right stuff the first time because in the end that will be cheaper than replacing sub-par parts one at a time.

Check out Fettpride's budget armor and helmets, the prices aren't too bad.

Also, get a new girlfriend.

Hey guys, I am hardly a veteran in fettbuilding but I believe I can offer some good advice.1 stay away from ebay except man of war- ONLY exception, 2 find out who the stars are. Like the previous post said, do your homework. There are people on this site who can make any part and if they dont ,you'll find it in the cargo hold. It really depends what kind of suit you want, though. If you want a movie quality suit, you're going to have to go piece by piece. unless you're wealthy. We've all started that way. Actually most of us probably started off buying junk and then realizing we could've saved money by just buying the good stuff to begin with.

From
    North Carolina

I agree with slave1pilot. If you want a good Fett, don't skimp out. Buy the best, and do your research on every individual part. The truth is, a professional looking suit will cost somewhere between 3-5 grand if you buy it from top quality prop makers here. The big three for armor in my opinion are Bobamaker, FettPride, and WickedBeard. Pieces to the suit seem a lot more attainable when you just focus on one at a time. Personally, I started out with my helmet because I wanted something that could be a cool display piece as I started this project. From there, I just worked from the head down. Collar armor,Chest, back, butt, cod, etc. The three pieces that cost the most are by far the Helmet, Gauntlets, and Jet Pack. I've bought all my armor from bobamaker and been very happy with it all.

From
    madison,ms.

I with s1p too. Shop the cargo hold. Hold off till something good comes up. I got boba maker armor for 1/3 the price.
    I started with a nice lid. Bought some junk off eBay ( witch I don't use ). Take ur time. Save your $ and get stuff that's good. It's taken me a year to do and still not done. Buy an air brush s play with it. That will save u alot.
    i think all girlfriend or wifes feel its a waste .

Last edited by dlzx9r; Oct 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM.

From
    Fort Worth, Texas

Hey everyone, thanks again for responding. It's been good hearing both sides, make your own vs buy it.

I still have mixed feelings about it. I can see the pros and cons of both. There's that sense of accomplishment in making it yourself. You know? But at the same time, I would probably get discouraged and never be happy with it, so that.s where i see buying would be better. Get better quality stuff than i could ever make.

As for the girlfriend, I think she's coming around, (maybe because i wont shut up about it... idk) I guess, when you look at the total cost, and I've seen people say from $2500-4000. And I guess she sees that as a lot of money we could be using for us. So i understand her concern as well.

Anyways, thanks again. If anyone else has anything else to add; Good places to get stuff, good vendors, ect... I'd still love to hear it. That way when i decide what to do I can be ready.

From
    God's Country (Oklahoma)

That is a good thought. Keep in mind that if you make this like say a two year project and just buy a piece here and there then it won't hurt so much. I made the mistake of buying cheap to get it done in time for a party and two years later I am still upgrading. Just have fun and you can make some solid friends here.

Definitely buy from the Cargo Hold & possibly the Mando Mercs trading post. I too have built a few suits and can advise to take heed of the comments about not going cheap to start out. Personally I would buy a helmet first. If your girlfriend.... I mean you change your mind lol, then at least you have a helmet to display!

From
    United States

My reason for suggesting that you do what you can soon and then upgrade later is to start building some momentum. All the logic is on the side of buying the best and avoiding having to buy more than once, that's more economical in the long run. The risk is getting discouraged. That's why I say start now even if not everything is ideal.

Of course undermining my case is I'm not going to follow my own suggestion. I'm planning a prepro 2 suit and the parts I buy will be as good as I can find, and I don't plan to have to upgrade later. I'm prepared for this to take quite some time. On the other hand once I have good armor I may just wear an off the shelf gray overall that I have already for a year or so until I can put together an accurate cloth costume.

I like the Fettpride helmet, that's what I'll be getting. I may scratchbuild the jetpack since I can turn the missile on a lathe, but if I buy I like the Manowar pack.

From
    Ipswich QLD Australia

[QUOTE=dlzx9r;518028]i think all girlfriend or wifes feel its a waste .

WORD my wife doesnt get it at all, but then as long as it shuts me up, she has some peace lol, i dont drink, i dont smoke (yup boring) dont do up cars, so really she cant complain, everybody need a hobby just i decided to take on a slight exspensive one.
    PM sent there Jodo hope it helps

From
    LR,Arkansas

Well first what version are you doing? also PM sent

dlzx9r said: View Post
    I with s1p too. Shop the cargo hold. Hold off till something good comes up. I got boba maker armor for 1/3 the price.
    I started with a nice lid. Bought some junk off eBay ( witch I don't use ). Take ur time. Save your $ and get stuff that's good. It's taken me a year to do and still not done. Buy an air brush s play with it. That will save u alot.
    i think all girlfriend or wifes feel its a waste .

Wait how did you get bobamaker stuff 1/3 the price?

(Just curious...)

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

used IMHO fettprides the way to go and its affordable....more accurate anyways

From
    madison,ms.

DarthBrik said: View Post
    Wait how did you get bobamaker stuff 1/3 the price?

(Just curious...)
    shop the cargo hold . ppl get new stuff and sell off the old .
    i got BM chest , ab , collar , and back for $180 . like the paint so much i painted my cod and butt plate to match . will upgrade it to boba maker one day .

don't think it will ever be finished . even if u get top of the line something new is going to catch your eye . so if your buying get GOOD STUFF !! if you got junk every thing is going to catch your eye .

Last edited by dlzx9r; Oct 15, 2010 at 1:48 PM.

Build your hard parts outta sintra. $30 gets all your hard parts done, including shin tools. Bobamaker, fettpride, Wickedbeard are all awesome - if your 5-10 ish and medium framed. If your really tall or short, the armor will not fit your body shape and you'll look goofy. Screen accurate is great if your the same size as jeremy!

you can invest in a $89 sewing machine at Wal-mart, get some twill, thread and other sewing stuff there too. Hancock sells a coverall pattern that can be modded to make your own jumpsuit if you are scared to invest in Ladysewforus's excellent suit & vest. look up Batninja's great belt tutorial. Girth belts are $15 and $8 to dye it. IOA armory makes nice cheaper gaunts (armor as well) if your scared to scratchbuild. IOA's $30 knees are really awesome too.

Doll hair from michaels can make you some scalps. You can often find low boots similar to Boba's that you have to repaint for $20ish. Jetpack is pain to do cheap, so save it for last. It's a doable scratchbuild if you take your time.

Last thing, if you invest any serious money into something, make it your bucket. It's the only thing 95% of people look at. If you cannot find one used, M-DSB makes a great helmet for $125. It's so durable you could almost throw it across your driveway and not have it crack, yet it's easy to trim up. But as I said earlier, if you really short or really big, your gonna have to look at other options like a jango 2 piece or a scratchbuild.

From
    San Antonio, TX

This thread really speaks to me. I am a new member here (first post actually ), but I have been lurking for a while. I have been wondering where to start as well and I like the advice of starting with a good quality helmet and building from there.

From
    Canada

i'm just starting off as well, and my girl friend has some of the same point of view as yours. When you add everything together, it definitely seems way over any ones random budget, but you have to be patient and do it one step at a time. I get away with it because i say "baby, it's a 4-10 year project!" and as much as i wish i could get it all in a year, thats totally not going to happen if i want it to look really nice, and be quality...you don't want to spend hours painting a pair of cheap e-bay random gauntlets, only to bump one against a wall accidentally and have the whole thing crack.

As much as i would agree that making your own stuff is cheaper and great practice, there are so many people out there that make all the parts, and extremely well. Fett's not a random unique character that not many people know of. So you'll always have pros for years and years making better upgraded equipment.
    My suggestion would be that if you are not a very good painter, get a trash can, and practice. buy those cheap hasbro helmets/blasters and practice some more. That way when you get your nice equipment, you'll know what your doing, and hopefully not ruin it. I personally made a jet pack out of recyclables(bottles,pizza boxes ect.), and it was hell. it took way too long to fabricate, and it's 70% accurate at best. but i got to practice painting it. Although I've been painting for most of my life, but more practice sure helps, so when i get the real deal in a couple years, it'll be spot-on.

From
    Sacramento, CA

I agree with Slaveipilot, save and get the good stuff first. Even if you have the money like me to drop on a topshelf Boba as the first time owner it's still going to take a while because the guys that make the best stuff generally have a lot of orders on their plate. I ordered all my stuff in May and I'm still waiting on parts. That being said, you can probably save a lot of money by waiting for items in the cargo hold where you can still get topshelf items but at a lower price because you're the second or third owner. At least with BF he looks grimmy any way so it's not like people can tell it's been passed around. It's realistic to assume it can take you years before having a complete BF. I'm sure most of the veterans on this board can atest to that.

My other bit of advice is research, research, research... First I looked at pics of ALL the different BF's you could do for the 501st and then I picked the one I liked the best. In my case it was the SE BF. Then I researched the TDH for hours on end for weeks and still find myself doing research albeit not as much on what goes into that costume. Point is, BF has a lot of different pieces and the research went into what exactly I needed and then researching who made what, and then what quality of stuff people made and what I wanted to spend.

Again, even if you have the money it's hard to know where to start so I can't imagine how it feels to be a little light in the pocket book and starting this process. Again, it may take a while but know what the good stuff is and get that first even it's second hand. I've done more costumes than BF (as many here have done), and I think it's pretty universal that if you get the good stuff first you'll save money in the long run and be much happier. At least for me part of the thrill of this hobby is the journey to getting your costume.

Sean