Paint tips for ROTJ blaster wanted!

Lisa

Jr Hunter
I have assembled my blaster, and need some tips on how to paint it!

In some pics it looks dark grey, in other it looks like gun metal grey, and in some it looks black with a lot of dirt. What colour should I use as a base, and how should I continue from there?

I have done a dark grey base coat, but I'm not happy with it. Maybe it's just because it's too shiny, I'm not sure.

Help would be much appreciated! (y)

IMG_2964.jpg

I think flat black for the base color and a wash of acrylic Burnt Sienna would give you the basic look.

I agree flat black base coat but then a very thin light grey ragged on in very random fashion followed by a thinned black wash let that dry thoroughly then seal it with testors Dullcote when that was completely dry I
used a 1/2" brush and an acrylic paint color called terra cotta, it is a very good rust color, I thinned it a little then brushed it on a section about 2" by 2" then used a rag to wipe it right back off. I also used a toothbrush and a small pointed brush to scrub and detail with. I dont know how to post a link but here are a few pics.

I dont think it would make it through Customs or I would offer to paint it for you. Might could take it apart.

blaster6..JPG

blaster5..JPG

blaster3..JPG

I knew he'd find this...Im worried about my blaster and customs when going to japan...wondering if I should just leave it in the states or take it in peices

three to 5 years lol I want to bring it...but they have strict gun laws like NO GUNS ALLOWED gun laws....Ima have to ask some of the Japan guys what they know about it more

Thanks for advise, woodman! I'll go paint it black right away! :D

About customs; if you're staying there for a few years I would just buy a new sidewinder kit and get it mailed to your adress there. It doesn't take that long to build, so it might be easier that way. ;)

I just finished painting this blaster for a friend. There is actually several colors involved inclusing an original base coat of gold metallic, followed by primer grey, lightly misted with black, and then detailed with gold, silver, terra cote, black and grey.

th_ROTJBLASTER2010.jpg
"]http://
th_ROTJBLASTER2010.jpg
[/URL]
th_ROTJBLASTER2001.jpg
th_ROTJBLASTER2001.jpg
[/URL]
th_ROTJBLASTER001.jpg
th_ROTJBLASTER001.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I do painting on not only blasters but armor, gauntlets, and just about everything Fett for a reasonble price. I utilize layered technique, airbrush, rattle cans, and hand weathering and detailing. PM me for details and services offerred

Just curious why you guys choose to use Terra Cotta acrylic paints when Testors makes model paints in both enamel and acrylic called "Rust" ?

I've seen some ROTJ blasters with their stocks wood-stained then weathered with black, while others are painted black (same color with the blaster itself) and weathered. I was wondering which would be more accurate.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back