JB Project / EE-3 and Sidearm

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi all!
I received a package about an hour ago (a day earlier than expected!) containing some truly excellent looking goodies!
An ESB EE-3 and Sidearm! I'm very happy to be working on these for Mr. Bulloch.

The casts are really nice, and the parts arrived already primed.
Here's the Sidearm. It's a terrific one piece cast.

IMG_0002e.jpg

IMG_0004f.jpg

The EE-3 also looks excellent. Some of the subassemblies are already together, and the Heiland tube is already in place. The stock is a separate piece, which will make painting much easier! The stock greeblies are also individual assemblies, to be added after painting is completed.

IMG_0006e.jpg

IMG_0009f.jpg

I have a hot pink color scheme in mind for these that should look smashing! :lol: ;)
More to come.

The scope appears misaligned. Is it not attached correctly? I didn't notice it when I saw it up close...

It is an excellent piece, and almost made me want to switch to ESB!

Not sure about the scope alignment. . . I think there's a slight angle, but my camera seems to be exaggerating it.

UPDATE: Feb 28th

The only cleanup needed on the EE-3 was a small ring joining the trigger with the trigger guard. This may have been molded to protect the trigger during shipping.

IMG_0001.jpg

After about 20 minutes with an X-acto blade and some small files, it's gone.

IMG_0003.jpg

I used a half round file for the trigger guard portion to ensure I didn't alter the curve. In the light, you can see it looks nice and smooth.

IMG_0004.jpg

I also taped off the Heiland and the ends of the scope, which have some clear acrylic (or clean resin?) inside to look like glass. Nice touch!

IMG_0002.jpg

For my first painting step, I used a small brush and some black acrylic and painted the join lines between parts, and some of the deeper undercuts. Basically anywhere it might be tricky to get my airbrush into.
(After some soul searching, I decided not to do the hot pink ;))

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Next will be an application of basic black over the whole assembly. :)

Superjedi,

I can't believe you removed that O-ring detail I purposely mounted :eek:

That little detail is to prevent the trigger from breaking if it's squeezed to tightly. Please put that detail back in it's place

Aahhhhh :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Superjedi,

That little detail is to prevent the trigger from breaking if it's squeezed to tightly. Please put that detail back in it's place

Seriously? :facepalm I really thought it was just for protection. . .
I can put something back in its place.

Superjedi,

Thats what I thought it was for.... Wish I had one when my wife decided to shoot me with mine... *snap* :cry

The blasters were made by Man of War Studios, so maybe Christian can answer questions about construction. (y)

UPDATE: Feb 29th

OK, these pics span several steps from last night to this morning. As I mentioned above, after I had "blocked in" the deeper details with a brush, I sprayed the entire blaster with Krylon Ultra Flat Black. The Krylon gives really good coverage, and as I will be doing additional colors/weathering, I wasn't concerned about the dead flat finish.
Once the Krylon black was dry, I hit it with a couple of coats of Krylon Matte Clear Finish, which is actually sort of in between matte and satin. I've used it before and it gives great protection for the base coat. No pics from this stage.

I let the Krylon clear dry overnight, and then this morning I masked off everything that was "not Webley." The scope, scope mount assemblies, and the clamp rings around the barrel.

IMG_0003a.jpg

On the main body of the Webley, I airbrushed some Testors Metalizer finish in Burnt Iron. This gives a subtle color shift between the Webley's body and the other accessories built onto the blaster. It's a very dark bronzy looking tone. Here's how it looks after the masking was removed.

IMG_0006a.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Depending on the lighting, the color shifts from almost pure black to dark bronzish-black.
Here's the other side.

IMG_0002a.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

The main body will receive additional variances in the finish once I do the base weathering on the rest of the blaster.

Next I'm going to determine what method to use to attach the stock, then I'll do a base coat on it. :)

UPDATE #2: Feb 29th

OK, I figured out how I wanted to attach the stock. I'm using screw posts, similar to the T-bolt method for securing the helmet visor. :)
I got some aluminum screw posts from the hardware store (Note: for those of you in the U.K., these are made of aluminium ;)) and some button head hex screws to attach the stock to the bracket. It's a pretty nice pressure fit to begin with, but the screws will make it nice and secure.

I started by using a 1/2" Forstner bit to bore out 2 depressions in the stock. I held the stock in place on the blaster and used a mechanical pencil to mark where the holes should go beforehand.

IMG_0001b.jpg

Here are the screw posts and button head screws I'm using. (The screw heads will be painted (y))

IMG_0003b.jpg

I used an X-acto blade to scrape up the flat bottoms of each depression, and sanded the flat parts of the screw posts to give my epoxy a nice rough surface to adhere to.
I used some JB Kwik and "buttered" each screw post, slightly twisting them into each depression in the stock, ensuring the epoxy flowed up forming a lip over each screw post.

I then held it in place on the blaster for 3 or 4 minutes while the epoxy kicked. This made sure they were exactly where I wanted them to be.

IMG_0004b.jpg

And here are the screw posts, post-epoxy. :)

IMG_0005a.jpg

I'll give them the recommended 4 to 5 hours to fully cure, then either later tonight or tomorrow I'll begin painting the stock.
I plan to use the wood graining tutorial from the Sci-Fire website.
If you haven't seen it, it can be found here: http://sci-fire.com/how_to_wood_grain.htm

I'm so confused.
Is the stock screwed into the bracket or just glued on?
From the posting it appears that you glued(JB Welded) the bolts to the stock, and then your going to screw them to the bracket. How is that secure at all? Wouldn't the strength of the bond be dependent solely the strength the weld created by the epoxy? Why put a screw in there at all? Would the bond be more secure if you just jb welded the stock directly to the bracket?
Shouldn't you be driving a screw or bolt clear through the bracket into the stock?

Please forgive my cynicism on the subject, I'm really just confused as to this method

weld.jpg

86, it's just like attaching resin ears to a helmet using bolts. The bolts are epoxied into depressions in the backs of the ears, then held from inside the helmet with nuts.
Or using the same bolt/epoxy method to put your shoulder studs onto your armor.

These screw posts are attached to the stock using epoxy, then the bracket will be screwed onto it. It's not a "load bearing" connection, so I wouldn't anticipate any problems with it.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back