Zam's Helmet - Fit and Assembly Discussion

SeattleZam

Jr Hunter
Hey there Zammers!

I'm progressing to the put-the-helmet together stage, and I had some questions...

Do we have any pictures of the back of Zam's head? There is a hose at the base in the back, correct?

I have the most excellent MonCal helmet kit, and I was wondering where all the little square plates go. How did people attach their earpieces?

I assume everyone is fixing the binoculars onto the helmet permenently?

Okay, and the other issue for me right now is the fit. The fiberglass gray helmet body did not even fit on my head when I first got it. We dremelled out the inside front ridge, and now I can get it on my head (barely), but it won't go down far enough.

Anyone else have theirs fit too small? Did you heat it up and bend it out? Cut it apart and reconstruct it with more width?

Thanks, crew, you're the best.

Deunan Shiruba
Seattle Zam Project

I was lucky enough to have my helmet assembled when I received it. It was a little tight though and we had to dremel quite a bit from the inside before I could wear it comfortably. It's still tight, but piling all my hair on top of my head seems to cushion it a bit. I had to put a piece of foam in the front to make it a little more comfortable.

I have some pictures of my helmet here: http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z66/sl585/Costumes/Zam/Zam Helmet/ I don't know if they will help you any. The hose is at the base in the back.

I fixed the binoculars in place. The first few times I wore it when they were still loose they wobbled all over the place.

Erm ... yeah... helmet issues. What? You want to wear your helmet? ;) No... mine didn't fit very well either when I got it - (original DustinCropBoy run) I had to do some dremeling and sanding too...) and added some padding as well. Still not the most comfortable thing to wear. All I can say is that ALL of Zam's stuff is SOOOOO tiny it is unbelievable - even the helmet!

Deunan - is yours from MonCal? If so - he can answer how best to make it fit better... DCB's were made differently, and with his we could only dremel/file away.

Dremelling it, then, and I'll post an update after we get it to fit on my head better. The padding is a good idea, but whoa. You're right, all of Zam's stuff is small!!

Well, it's either small, skin-tight, or a weird material, anyway. But if this costume was easy to put together, would we enjoy the challenge so much?

I have five weeks until the debut of it. Hustling!

Deunan Shiruba

Another update. Successfully refit the helmet using a combination of the Dremel to the inside edge (gently, not to go through) and a hair dryer. You can heat up the helmet with the hair dryer on high, put your hand on the outside to tell when the entire thing gets heated through.

Then jam it on your head until it cools down. Warning, this can get hot enough to scald your head, so go for repeated sessions at cooler temps.

Deunan Shiruba

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back