Zam\'s chain

• Thread starter Migrate from As You Wish
  • Start date
I found some at Emigh that looked like the right Diameter and it was on a giant spool. It looked like it was only $2.00 a foot (if i remember right). This one i saw was a nice shiny chrome color. they had smaller in a more bronze color. But i am sure you can buy the silver ones and use a bronze and/or black spray paint and lightly "dust" them to make them more used and grungy. But i do have a question...How much feet/inches do i need? If someone was to go the hot topic route, how many neckleces would they need for the right length (in the MOTM pictures, there are about 73 visable beads)?

Last edited by a moderator:
75 beads worth. Let's all head down to ACE-- it's the Place :D you said it's the right diameter about 9mm?

FYI: Just got the ones from Emighs Hardware. The Diameter is about 11/32 of an inch (.34375 for the largest), which is 8.73mm. So if you round, its about 9mm. The price is $1.99 foot and 75 beads is about 3'-4". Hope this helps!

seventhz777z wrote:

FYI: Just got the ones from Emighs Hardware. The Diameter is about 11/32 of an inch (.34375 for the largest), which is 8.73mm. So if you round, its about 9mm. The price is $1.99 foot and 75 beads is about 3'-4". Hope this helps!
hey can you post a pic? do they have that metal chain inbetween? And, if so, will ya be willing to buy some for us? We don't have a emighs hardware in our neck of the woods. I wouldn't mind getting 2 strands of 75 beads if it costs 4.00 plus shipping and looks right if you are willing to ship. :D I haven't taken the opportunity to go to ace yet in MD to check things out, but we are really swamped right now with other costuming issues.

I might be interested in some as well. I've looked at the ACE here but they don't carry anything other than decorative chains.

I went ahead and got some from Hot Topic. I'm wondering if I want to darken them a bit if something like alumablack or gunblue will work. I have some but I haven't tried it yet. I'd like something that'll hold up better and might not rub off on the leg :)

Oh, you know, I got the last three "darker colored ones" at spencer gifts. It might save you the trouble of "darkening" them up. Although, some pics have it really silver and some have it "darker" so... up to yall :D Let us know if there is a way that you can break the chain in order to get rid of the "clasp" part and reassemble it into one long chain.

Went to another local Ace hardware today (much bigger one). They have litterally 4 times the amount of gadgets etc. than the other hardware stores. Anyway, they have the 3/8" stainless steel bead on the roll. Something like $1.80 per foot. They sell the clasps seperately. I'm returning my hot topic beads and getting those. That'll save me like $11.00 and I'm sure I can dip them in alumablack or something to darken them. I can buy an extra foot and play with color :D

Edit:
They're actually $1.96 per foot before tax. 75 beads is about 3'4 3/8". I bought 4 feet for a total of $8.37

Here is a side by side compairison of Zam's beads and the ones I found at emighs. Each bead is seperated by a metal spacer. If anyone is interested in getting ahold of these please let me know and I will see what I can do. Hope this helps.

20036303715046951900074.jpg

O.K.,
I did a couple tests with both permablue and alumablack (made by Birchwood Casey) on the beads. I personally like how the permablue works and turns out but looking at pics, the alumablack may be more accurate. If you try this, clean the beads with rubbing alcohol first because there is skin oil on the beads which inhibits the tarnishing effect of the chemical. Also, cut off some extra beads and practice. The permablue takes a bit longer and you can soak the beads for 30 to 60 seconds. The alumablack takes about 8 seconds. My first test, I soaked them for one minute and they're really black. After soaking, rinse with cold water and dry with a cloth.

I'm going to send zam i am a couple of the tests and get a second opinion on color (in person).
2003764388507969321280.jpg

(permablue is on the left and alumablack is on the right)
It's very difficult to really see the color in this pic.

Oh yeah, you can look up birchwood casey on the web and order a small bottle of perma blue or aluminum black from many suppliers. Perhaps a gunsmith or local sporting shop might have it also.

GREAT TIP Mon :) I have both a long, continuious string of silver beads which is too shiney and 3 short "spencer's gifts" strings which are the right color - but in 3 strands (so, i'd have to hide the connectors)......

this will work great on my long stand..

oh, here's a direct link for those who can't find it... only $7.50 a bottle:

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/blueing/index.asp?menu=3&item=23

Great tip! Thanks!!!! :D :D

And on the link...note... it is about 2/3 down page! The first price I saw was $109 for something there... just about fell out of my chair! :D :D

Yeah! I got moncal's beads! Ok-- definately don't try alumablack for 1 minute, way too long, and I don't know if you saw, but it rusted the cylinder between the beads. But, alumablack for 10 seconds and permablue for 30 seconds is a lot nicer. Lemme see which is better between all of them. Then again, Dallas would have had a better shot at getting the color than I would, but, here are my 2 cents... :D If ya wanna go with- not so shiney, then permablue. If ya want shinier, then alumablack. My spencers beads are a tad lighter and more silver than Moncal's tests. I personally like the alumiblack on how it coated just cause it looks shinier. but i don't know about accuracy... For accuracy, permablue seems more fitting. I wasn't there at MOM. The ones in the MOM pic look a bit more dull, but that could have been any number of things and permablue is a tad duller in the finish. Wow tough choice. I noticed that soaking the stuff in alumablack causes rust to form easily on both sets of alumiblack beads. Mebbe permablue would be best due to the potential rust factor of alumablack.
beadscmpr2.jpg

Zam's chain

I was strolling a local market this afternoon and look what I found! It looks identical to the chain Zam has hanging from her belt! Does anybody else still need it? I could get some more.
ZAMchain.jpg

zamchain2.jpg

Sorry, the pics are a little big, but I can't make them smaller at the moment.

Just a note...

I darkened my ball chain w/ alumi-black some time ago then throughly dried it - even let it dry in the sun for hours... Then i hung it up in my shop and didn't look at it for months...

Went to look at it today and noticed a lot of rust around the holes of each ball... grrr... i really thought i had dried it good too.

Anyway - the rust came off somewhat easily w/ a scotch brite pad - but the black also rubbed off some.

But - i actually like it like this... it gives it a good mix of black and silver... a good patina... :)

That's all i really had to say - watch out for rust. :D

Yeah, i noticed it right away with moncal's sample beads. That's why I opted for the blue stuff too. I like the color better of alumiblack, but still that rusty prob. Sigh... I really need to have a zam con so all yalls can see everything that people have sent me and also just impart all this stuff in my noggin. Yall would have such an easier time, and not have the same problems I have had. Even bigger sigh...

This thread is more than 20 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back