WIP- PP2 - NEWBIE

markyt1

New Hunter
How’s everyone doing?

As I have been inspired by many of you to make my own helmet instead of buying one I thought I would start a thread and show how things are coming on. I’m lucky enough to have a couple of helmets (thanks to mmgraphics and fettprop). I’m starting out with a PP2 to see how I get on as I have never done anything like this before and it seems helmet is no where near as intricate as the ESB one. I'll tackle an ESB one later on down the line with the other lid.

I’m going for the layered paint job and I have gave the whole helmet a spray of aluminum silver

I did use brushes to put on the masking fluid however found that the brush became pretty clogged up (how do you avoid this?). I carried on using it as it gave some good shapes when applying damage to larger areas. I also used a needle to mask off some of the smaller scratches and a chop stick that I shaped at the end to assist in applying the masking fluid.

Air brushes, what is the best? the compressed air tins or am i better investing in a small compressor? (the cheeper the better) tried getting one on e-bay but the buggers keep outbidding me

Any suggestions etc greatly appreciated.

WIP BOBA FETT 003.jpg

WIP BOBA FETT 004.jpg

WIP BOBA FETT 005.jpg

WIP BOBA FETT 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Compressed air cans, are very inconsistent and run out fast, you will be better off investing in a compressor. I have a badger whirlwind, and it is constant air so it doesnt need to fill a tank. It isnt that loud either, and the air is very consistent. However, look around in hobby shops and see what they have, ask around as well.

I personally own two airbrushes, one for detailed car work, and one for general painting applications.

My Badger Renegade Velocity Dual action airbrush can get a hair line spray (meaning the smallest spray is as thin as hair. I have that only for complex artwork on cars, canvas, motorcycle helmets, etc.

My Badger model 200N Single Action airbrush, is awesome for general painting apps, such as painting a helmet, armor, weathering a flightsuit, etc.

Single action airbrushes have a trigger that when you press it down, both air and paint are released.

Dual Action airbrushes have a trigger that when you press it down air comes out, and when you pull back paint comes out.

Hope that helped.

You can buy silicon brushes ( basically a stick with a pointed rubber tip) to apply the masking fluid. And it will be easy to clean

have you tried going into a model shop some sell revell air gun it's a very, very basic airbrush.
http://www.model-mania.uk.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=airbrush.
it's cheap and easy to clean.
if your after a cheap air source why not try this method.
i use one of these air guns about twenty years ago connected to a car tyre as my air source.
you get quite a good run before the air runs out and all you need is a foot pump to refill the tyre.

did you intentionally put the RTOJ in front of the newbie in the title? If you did, thats a great touch!:D:D:lol:

Update

Had some spare time to carry out some work on the lid. This is my first go and im having a bast at a PP2 style of helmet as i think it appears easier to paint, something to hone some skills on.

I have just painted the dome and the lower jaw. Looking for some advice on achieving the grey arround some of the scratches on the dome (is this done topical) and washed out red on the mandibles. Predatormv did an awesome paint job on his and im using this as reference.

Thanks

PS thanks for the advice prior to this guys!!!

Boba1.jpg

boba 2.jpg

boba 3.jpg

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back