Ord Mantell's ESB build

This is the photogrammetry scan of my build from this time a year ago (with the EFX helmet) after importing into Maya and doing a few renders with a Slave I model. Will do more stuff like this when the builds are actually over. Which will still be before the end of this year!

fettslave5.jpg

fettslave4d.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I responded to this earlier but maybe that was just in my head. In short, I don't know how the blonde braids really should be. I made them separately, then attached them together so the wide one is on top of the thin one. I'd better dig up some photos.
Thanks man. Also, how have you tied them together at the top? I keep asking but no one can show me...

I'm still in a holding pattern on this build while I wrap up my PP2 build, except I'm prepping a new helmet. And while I was doing that I made an observation about the MQ-1 board I've not seen discussed before. Apparently there are variants. Disclaimer: the following is for research and archeological value. It's not intended to piss everyone off about found parts which are already enough of a pain in the butt as it is.

Below are two boards. They have slightly different layouts (ignore the brown gunk on the left side of the left one). Both of these are incorrect compared to what is in the ESB helmet.

IMG_3583.jpg

Christmas colors. Merry Christmas!

The boards have different E#'s. I believe this designates different 'editions' or something of that nature. So different E numbers should have minor differences. The board in the ESB helmet is hard to read the E number because there is too much old adhesive gunk over it in the available pictures.

Untitled 9.jpg

The two boards pictured are E5 and E10. The one in the ESB helmet is most like the E10 but retains one of the E5 elements. The element on the far right with the red arrow (a gold disc next to the hole) is present on the original board but not the others.

IMG_3583 copy.jpeg

Below is an E6 owned by Deancfh. It's a physical match for what is in the ESB helmet from what I can tell. It doesn't have the extra components at the top but retains the gold disc next to the upper right side hole. It's possible E7, 8, and 9 also look like this. If you have any of those numbers on your board please post pics of them here.

IMG_7751.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing to be in a holding pattern waiting on a few items, but I realized I could actually go ahead and re-do the 3rd shin tool (the one with the pair of stylus brushes on it). I've forgotten the fictional name given to it. Is it the vibroblade? (edit: Anti-Security Blade) Whatever it's called, it's the shin tool in the left shin inboard pocket on ESB.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 2.34.21 PM.png

I'm re-doing all my shin tools. I think this will be the third time in this build. Maybe the last! If I don't screw it up. I acquired vintage correct Paterson parts some time ago as well as a second real stylus brush and held off doing the vibroblade tool because I was thinking of getting a friend to tap the second hole in the stylus brush rod for me.

IMG_0546.PNG
IMG_5191 copy.jpg

But he couldn't do it right away so I sat waiting for a while. Then I changed my mind. I got worried about damaging the stylus brush, a very rare found part, or worse. I decided to just assemble it without the extra hole and screw. If I change my mind again later its not a problem to add the extra hole whenever I want.

As before, these are the parts, this time with all correct vintage pieces, the correct vintage Paterson squeegee model, and two vintage stylus brush rods.

IMG_5175.jpg

Was it gaffer tape or electrical tape? Maybe different ones had different tape. Only the gods of Fett can tell us 100% for certain. Unfortunately I am only a mere mortal. The shim is there because the gap in the squeegee cutoff is 5mm wide, while the smoked visor plexiglass material is 3mm, so a 2mm shim helps make a solid insert for the plexiglass. That's how they did the originals, too.

IMG_5194.jpeg

I'm using RafalFett's dimensions for the smoked visor piece.

One little detail to be mindful about is making a notch in the squeegee arm at the top end so the top of the rod can sit inside it a little. This allows the body of the rod to sit flush against the edge of the squeegee arm.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 5.36.28 PM copy.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5221.jpg

I'm not sure it matters as much with the replica stylus brush rods since the knurling on those tend to be a bit on the shallow side.

This is the assembly without screw in the top. The tape is the only thing holding the rods on. As long as the tape is taut it seems to be fine.

IMG_5209.jpg

The assembled ESB next to my weathered PP2 version:

IMG_5212.jpg

Our references for ESB don't really show the weathering on this very well. In fact it mostly looks unweathered. I might hit it with some light weathering that it would've gotten while in the shin pocket when the suit pant legs were getting weathered.

More comparison with the PP2, which has replica stylus brush rods made by Mojo Fett :

IMG_5223.jpg

Here it is with the unweathered vintage squeegee:

IMG_5220.jpg

this will arrive in the near future and I'll weather them all together... vintage chemical stirrer:

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Did you forget for a second that you ARE a Fett god?
Fett's mysteries make me feel like about as smart as a cheese wheel.

that is exactly what I did with my ROTJ Anti-Security Blade too
Right on! I figure most top Fetts know that already, just wanted to throw that in there for anyone who didn't know. And thanks for 'Anti-Security Blade!' That's the name. Phew! I guess I was close. :lol: Also I'm honored to have an ROTJ Fett chime in here on this ESB thread anytime.

Sometimes waiting for parts is the biggest battle of a build. I got the parts for the ab plate speakers a year ago but they are in pergatory, waiting to come back with my helmet, so I got a backup pair instead and decided to just move forward because progress is progress.

I wanted to install the speakers on the backside of the ab plate which we know were on the filming ESB hero because they are still installed as evidenced by their appearance in the exhibits.

Here you can see the magnet portion of the speaker behind the hero ROTJ hero ab, which was the repainted ESB ab:

Boba-Fett-Costume-MoM-121601A-112.jpg

I did find out on my own research these were manufactured by Wiener Radiowerke, or Vienna Radioworks.

Another exhibit photo reveals how they were secured to the ab plate with plastic tabs and glue, just like everything else.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 7.04.51 PM.png

It's sort of a plastic tab sandwich that holds the lip of the speaker. Here is my imperfect interpretation:

IMG_5423.jpeg

IMG_5487.jpeg

My main reason for installing these is not necessarily uber accuracy for the sake of uber accuracy (this installation is certainly not correct because I've not had a look at the backside of the hero ab -- It's just guesswork), but I wanted these on the ab because the weight and size of these will have a real affect on the vest and how the ab sits on it. These speakers aren't exactly light and I think they'll pull down on the vest and make it stick out a little like we see in some of the references. I'm curious how it will look.

I've waited to primer the armor until all these back side installations were finished because no matter how hard I try, I get glue in all the wrong places. I would've ruined the paintjob for sure if I had done it after I painted. So next is primer.

IMG_5495.jpeg

The attempt to even be so accurate is what intrigues me! Pretty soon your going to have a museum piece. Keep sharing these updates because it makes me rethink my whole kit!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back