Why The Long Face? (GMH Proportions)

Jesuit24

Hunter
I just got my hands on Skyfire's GMH helmet. Amazing piece that I can't keep my hands off. I'm glad people are once again getting the opportunity to own this magnificent helmet.

But one thing that I noticed on every GMH I've seen here in the past is that the proportions always seemed slightly off. Specifically, the front looked too long. Usually I'd put this down to the ears not being installed on raw kits, giving the whole helmet a slimmed down feeling, but I'm not sure this is entirely the case. I know that the GMH has shrunk roughly 5% and not uniformly, meaning some parts of the helmet may not have shrunk at all while other parts have. I'm wondering if the length at the front is one of the places where no shrinking occurred. I've compared it to my scratchbuilt helmet I based of Rafalfett's v2 templates & his measurements and found that the sides of the GMH match up with his measurements but the front is about 5mm too long. I'm going to convert this helmet to ESB, and I love the tall neck effect of Boba in ESB but this extra length at the front could potentially hide more of the neck than I want. Here's a picture comparing my 95% scaled Rafalfett v1 and the GMH. The dome, ears and everything lines up suprisingly well, but the front is longer. I've marked how much extra there is.
IMG_20170214_172109.jpg

I don't want to do anything too hasty without opinions and careful consideration, but it looks like I could trim down the front section, angling the line from the cheeks so that the sides and ears are unaltered, right up to the mandibles, but I've never heard of anyone else doing something like this which has me hesitant to try. Thoughts?
IMG_20170214_17210f9.jpg

The GMH is a descendant of the PP2 which come from the same master (presumably) as the ESB, RoTJ, PP3, etc. It's suffered from shrinkage, but I would say that while the RF v2 templates are really good, the GMH is closer to the real deal. I would recommend NOT trimming it.

Additionally... I made my casting buck from rafal's templates, and went back and had to ADD length to the mandibles so it would better line up with the screen helmet.

ToEleven is correct. The RF helm is good but the GMH is closer to the real deal than most helmets. Don't trim unless that's what you want to do. Thanks for asking this though, as it's better to ask a dumb question than make an expensive mistake;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560

The front of the helmet has not escaped shrinkage. All of it has shrunk to some degree and there does not seem to be a common factor of shrinkage. Some parts may have shrunk by around 5% but some parts may have shrunk less, some parts more. I think what you're observing here is that the most noticeable shrinkage has occurred in the dome and that this gives the face a disproportionately large appearance.

Measurements provided for the inside of the straight edge of the mandibles of the PP2 indicate that the left mandible of the GMH had lost 8mm along this edge and the right mandible had lost 7mm.

i agree with Fett 4 Real..its like comparing oranges to tangerines..they are similar but not the same. The GMH has ldirect linage to the PP2, even with some shrinkage, it will be more correct than most fan made helmets. Not to say you cant make a killer helmet, but linage always wins in my book.

The GMH should not be used as a standard of accuracy in any way. It is special because it does have lineage to a real helmet, but the shrinkage is substantial, and the master casting was warped after it came from the mould, and the mould that made the master made castings that already were warped.
Not to mention FP had to mould that casting, fix warpages as best he could, cut the helmet up to try and make it bigger and then mould it at least one more time to create the GMH.
So it's a cool helmet but honestly a far cry from what a real helmet should be. :)

Sorry if that came out a bit rough, I've had a long history with this helmet. :)
The point was meant to be, dont sweat the size of the thing. And if you want to play with the shape a bit, I encourage carefully adding a bit of width to it to get it to look more like the ESB shape.
The ESB definitely had more of that famous "flare" than the PP2 that birthed your GMH.
For the record, the MR based helmet castings are still the best out there as far as accurate size and shape. Those castings are not without their issues, but a modded on would get you closer than anything currently out there until EFX and/or ANOVOS get it done.

I've noticed that the Fettpride GMHs with the FP lettering instead of GMH look a lot fuller overall. Is this another cast/update to his other one?
GMH TXFETT1a.jpg

Gotcha. I wasn't clear. I don't think there's a difference in the GMHs out there so I think they're all the same helmet allowing for focal length.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back