Wanting to start building/acquiring Jango costume. I'm very new to all this. Help!!

Lavern

New Hunter
My journey begins here. I've decided I shall have my Jango Fett costume. That said, I am a fish out of water when it comes to all this. I've got questions, you've got answers.

First of all, I know diddly squat about replicating anything. Is this something I'm going to have to learn or is it wiser and cheaper to pay for the parts and hire the 'pros' to make them for me?

Is there a line of guys on this site that specialize in replicating Jango's suit?

Should I acquire the parts and then paint them myself or have them painted?

Some answers to these questions would be very much appreciated!!

So many questions. I've been here.

First of all, hit the Cargo Hold and find the crafters you are after.

Just to name a few: Arkady does great jumpsuits. Dark-Side does metals, Cruzer does armor parts. MoW is usually referred to Man O War that does the jetpack. Usually priced around $350 each unpainted and as a kit. Find boots ASAP cause they come in short supply. Forums are your friend!

Painting: Costs more to have someone do it for you. Hobby Lobby has the best painting supplies. Use Rub 'n Buff gray for your armor paint.

Each Jango is generally using a town of people to build the parts, then it's up to you to get them all fitted and painted.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

My best suggestion for you is to reach out to your local 501st detachment and ask for help, such as an Armor Party.

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest piece of advise is to STAY AWAY FROM EBAY! Often times you get recast parts (someone profiting from someone else's hard work) 9 times out of 10 they are not good quality made with lesser often brittle materials. There are a ton of people that make parts for your build as @BurqueDave said stay on the cargo hold. Once you have 50 posts post a Want to Buy thread. There are many people that will pant and assemble your parts for a fee, it is clearly cheaper to do it yourself, but if you buy expensive parts take it slow and read, read, read! Make sure you have the correct tools for the job and did I mention go slow? Plastic is a cruel mistress. Know there are people that can help, this is one of the best fourms I have had the pleaser of being a part of so ask questions people are willing to help you, and tell you about their mistakes so that you do not make the same ones. It is a fun and rewarding process good luck and welcome!

Wanting to start building/acquiring Jango costume. I'm very new to all this. ...

To try and steer someone in the right direction who has numerous questions such as yourself, I would say you can approach a full Jango build by first considering your desired timeframe and your budget.

If you're in a hurry, then you're looking for an almost/complete suit in the cargo hold that will fit your build, in which the level of accuracy and quality of parts will determine the total price. Usually higher quality/accurate parts translate into being more expensive. In comparison, if you have a little more time, then you could ask someone that has access to a majority of the parts needed like Bobamaker or myself to build you a suit. I'm not sure what Bobamaker's specific timeframe's are so you would have to contact him to find out, but I estimate about a 3-4 month construction time as long as the parts sourced from other suppliers arrive within a three month timeframe. Once I receive a person's vest and jetpack (which seem to be the two items that take the longest to arrive once ordered), I usually like to take another month to attach the armor, finish any painting, and add the finishing touches to make the suit as wearable as possible before sending it off. The items I personally have to source (and have seen in person/are usually available) as someone who makes Jango parts include the vest (Bobamaker,Loanstar), flight suit (??), boots (Crow), jetpack (Fettseven,Bobamaker), jetpack harness (ManofWar), gauntlet missile (Darkside), and the various aluminum darts (Darkside). Similarly you could always ask another reputable member here or someone locally you trust to assemble a suit for you using parts sourced from either Bobamaker, myself, and the other individuals who make specific parts such as the helmet makers, jetpack, and flight suit/vest makers that BurqueDave mentioned.

In contrast to all of what I just said and if you have ample amount of time on your hands, you could use this as a great opportunity to source the parts yourself and build your own suit with the help of the various tutorials/works in progress posted by the many great members here, and/or asking for advice and posting questions via a build thread.

Lastly, and without a doubt the most time intensive route you could choose to building a Jango is to use this as an opportunity to become familiar with fabricating parts from scratch using Wizard of Flight's templates, dabbling in learning to sew, and trying your hand in working with leather/vinyl. However, keep in mind that if you don't already have the necessary tools and equipment (i.e. a sewing machine, sanders, styrene, body filler, leatherwork tools, various hardware, etc.) that this option could get almost as expensive as if you had bought everything pre made.

Just as a reference for if and when you start searching, I can tell you that I charge between $200-$250 for either a gauntlet or helmet assembly and finish, $200-$250 for a jetpack assembly and paint, $100 for a full armor assembly/cc polish and attachment, $75 for a full armor and helmet weathering, and $50 to just install a removable visor in one of my helmets. The only thing I absolutely refuse to do is rub 'n buff armor because it requires a little more work in the way of sanding, primering, sanding again, and can get messy! Lol

I hope this helps somewhat in your venture. Let us know if you have any questions that are more specific and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses.

-Lorenzo

Sent from my iPhone

Cruzer gives great information.

If you read through the WIP threads you can see what has been used in the past and what has been successful.

Jango Fett is a fun build and really fun to troop in. Good luck on your build.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back