TRASH CAN ARMOR! *PICS*

Here's an easy way to make your own set of chest/collar armor and shoulder bells for under $20. You will need two STERILITE plastic garbage cans (available at Wal-Mart). Get one 13 gallon and one 8 gallon. Use the 13 gal trashcan to make the chest/collar armor as well as the abdomen and center diamond pieces. Use the 8 gal trashcan to make the shoulder bells. I actually used the 8 gal trashcan for my abdomen piece because the curvature fit me better. These garbage cans are oval shaped which gives the armor the proper curve for it to fit your torso. You will need a set of armor templates for tracing onto the cans as well as a pair of needlenose pliars, tin snips, and a hobby knife. By adjusting the position of the templates on the trashcan you can achieve the proper curve on both the x and y axis for the chest armor. The pictures should be pretty self explanatory. Trace the armor onto the garbage can. Cut the pieces apart using the tin snips. LEAVE ABOUT 1 INCH OF EXCESS PLASTIC AROUND THE TRACINGS OF EACH ARMOR PIECE. Next take your hobby knife and 'score' the plastic along the tracings of the armor. After you have done this you should be able to snap away the excess plastic using the needle nose pliars and you will be left with a nice clean edge around your armor. If you have any questions PM me and I will be glad to answer them. Oh and these garbage cans are really tough so you dont have to worry about your armor cracking.

View attachment 517

View attachment 518

View attachment 519

View attachment 520

View attachment 521

View attachment 522

I made a quick one like this for my son's school Halloween party. It was pretty easy to throw together. Made the 'cuffs' out of plastic cups and painted them. Rubies helmet from Target and I used the spare plastic to make the knee guards and attached them with velcro. He won "The best spaceman" award. He was pretty disappointed.
Science Museum Halloween 09 026.jpg

Last edited:
It looks amazing and it seems like a fairly easy way of creating the armor, though I could be wrong. Is there a place where we can download the templates for this?

It looks amazing and it seems like a fairly easy way of creating the armor, though I could be wrong. Is there a place where we can download the templates for this?

Here's an easy way to make your own set of chest/collar armor and shoulder bells for under $20. You will need two STERILITE plastic garbage cans (available at Wal-Mart). Get one 13 gallon and one 8 gallon. Use the 13 gal trashcan to make the chest/collar armor as well as the abdomen and center diamond pieces. Use the 8 gal trashcan to make the shoulder bells. I actually used the 8 gal trashcan for my abdomen piece because the curvature fit me better. These garbage cans are oval shaped which gives the armor the proper curve for it to fit your torso. You will need a set of armor templates for tracing onto the cans as well as a pair of needlenose pliars, tin snips, and a hobby knife. By adjusting the position of the templates on the trashcan you can achieve the proper curve on both the x and y axis for the chest armor. The pictures should be pretty self explanatory. Trace the armor onto the garbage can. Cut the pieces apart using the tin snips. LEAVE ABOUT 1 INCH OF EXCESS PLASTIC AROUND THE TRACINGS OF EACH ARMOR PIECE. Next take your hobby knife and 'score' the plastic along the tracings of the armor. After you have done this you should be able to snap away the excess plastic using the needle nose pliars and you will be left with a nice clean edge around your armor. If you have any questions PM me and I will be glad to answer them. Oh and these garbage cans are really tough so you dont have to worry about your armor cracking.

View attachment 517

View attachment 518

View attachment 519

View attachment 520

View attachment 521

View attachment 522
Can you link the pattern?

View attachment 517

View attachment 518

View attachment 519

View attachment 520

View attachment 521

View attachment 522
Can you share the pattern or where to get it?

You may want to try Rafalfett's Paint templates for armor or Wizardofflight's armor templates. The ones I used for the set in the first post were custom made by me and have long since gone the way of the Do-Do.

This thread is more than 11 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back