TK 14056’s ROTJ Boba Fett Build & Research Thread

Erice3338

New Hunter
Hello everyone,

I’ve just started the next phase of the Fett journey after abundant research— sourcing parts. The first vendor I was considering is, as my research determined, inadequate. I have been since looking at the seemingly well-known and esteemed WastedFett and Bobamaker.

Yet, I’ve also come across a fellow garrison member who is selling his ROTJ (Hero) Fett. Pictures are below:

szEfYWs.jpg

aaZJvZd.jpg

UJdNiMV.jpg

bkqlLcG.jpg

I know these photos do not provide a comprehensive view. I am driving up today to view and fit the Fett before purchasing it. That said, I also wanted to ask for feedback here. The seller is offering the kit up at a very reasonable price, but it is, as you all likely know, still a pricey purchase.

Thus, I wanted to get as much input as possible. The kit has been approved twice by two different owners’ submissions and GML’s but the last time was in 2016. Assuming it fits, I am doing my best to determine if it’d pass at basic seeing as the CRL looks like it might have been updated in 2018 according to my research. Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Update
I had a chance to try on the armor pictured above.

Therefore, I was wondering if I could get second opinions on this armor? I realize there are pieces missing and that the soft parts are too large. The kit is one I am considering purchasing from a fellow garrison member. It has been approved twice in the garrison, but the last time was 2016. I have some concerns about it but wanted to get additional feedback from more qualified eyes. Namely on the gauntlets and jetpack. I am only looking for basic approval criteria for now. Thank you all in advance.

Note: I have close-up shots available upon request if details in these photos are obscured.

Front (Close-Up)

Back (Close-Up)

Right Side

Left Side

Gauntlets

Back

Front

Everything looks okay to me other than the overall shape of the helmet, it's very wide and the visor portion looks squished vertically. The paint job is decent, other than having a very metallic sheen to it, I've known some helmets have been denied clearance for this issue but as you stated it's been approved twice before I guess it depends on the GML.

Get new soft parts, and in my opinion, a better shaped/fitting helmet and you'd be good to go.

Everything looks okay to me other than the overall shape of the helmet, it's very wide and the visor portion looks squished vertically. The paint job is decent, other than having a very metallic sheen to it, I've known some helmets have been denied clearance for this issue but as you stated it's been approved twice before I guess it depends on the GML.

Get new soft parts, and in my opinion, a better shaped/fitting helmet and you'd be good to go.

Thanks for the input! I do appreciate it. I’ve yet to hear anything said about the shape of the helmet in the other places I have been collecting feedback, but I can see what you mean— especially in reference to the visor.

The helmet would be deal breaker for me. I’d have no interest in purchasing it if it’s going to prevent basic approval. Though it has been approved twice before, the last time was 2016. Naturally, there’s a different GML and even an updated CRL. I’m apprehensive to say the least.

I don’t see a reason why it would be denied. The paint job has all the damage and paint of a normal ROTJ helmet. What is it made of? As toofastrobot has mentioned, the shape is a bit wonky. And I’m thinking it might be a slush cast or resin helmet that has warped over time. What’s the price of the suit if I may ask? Depending on price I may say go for it and just sell some parts to purchase better fitting parts

I don’t see a reason why it would be denied. The paint job has all the damage and paint of a normal ROTJ helmet. What is it made of? As toofastrobot has mentioned, the shape is a bit wonky. And I’m thinking it might be a slush cast or resin helmet that has warped over time. What’s the price of the suit if I may ask? Depending on price I may say go for it and just sell some parts to purchase better fitting parts

I believe you hit the nail on the head. I think resin. Unfortunately, the seller bought it from another member and didn’t have much in the way of information about sources of the various costume parts. In his own words, he wasn’t interested in modifying it.

The seller is asking $2850. On the basis of a few issues that would prevent approval, I plan on submitting a bit of a lower offer at/around $2600. The seller said he would likely seriously consider a lower offer if it turned out that any part of the costume had to be replaced for approval, although he didn’t think that’d be the case.

As for soft parts, from the very beginning, I knew I’d have to get them tailored. I wasn’t considering replacing these parts altogether, but should I be?

Thanks for your help by the way! I’ve seen your work on Instagram.

Edit: To clarify, you don’t think the shape of the helmet, albeit wonky, would prevent approval? I know you can’t guarantee anything one way or another because it’s up to the GML but just curious.

At that price this suit is a steal. You can sell the helmet and upgrade to a fiberglass helmet with minimal spending in between. I don’t think the shape will prevent it from approval, as it looks good in the pictures, but it would be wise to close the gap between the mandibles as that would be one reason I can see it being denied.

The overall bulk of the suit looks great in the pictures and tailoring won’t be so expensive.

If you’re cool with buying a new helmet or fixing it up, tailoring the flight suit and vest. I say go for it!

At that price this suit is a steal. You can sell the helmet and upgrade to a fiberglass helmet with minimal spending in between. I don’t think the shape will prevent it from approval, as it looks good in the pictures, but it would be wise to close the gap between the mandibles as that would be one reason I can see it being denied.

The overall bulk of the suit looks great in the pictures and tailoring won’t be so expensive.

If you’re cool with buying a new helmet or fixing it up, tailoring the flight suit and vest. I say go for it!

Just one more question then. By closing the gap between the mandibles, do you mean the widest, vertical portion of the visor? Here’s a picture of the space denoted by the yellow line that I think you are referring to. Correct me if I have the wrong idea:

93E2138C-0C4A-4A5A-8398-0C9773C4ECED.jpeg

If so, how would I go about fixing it? Is there a thread I can reference for instructions?

Anyways, thanks again for your time. I’ll probably end up going with it then. It also comes with two pairs of Man-of-War boots that fit great, all the other costume components that aren’t pictured in my fitting, and the EE-3 seen at the beginning of the thread. Thus, the price is what caught my attention in the first place.

In reference to the paintjob, the damage is fine, it's the metallic coloring that has been denied previously. I recall another vendor trying to sell ESB helmets here but used metallic colors for the red and green and they'd been denied approval. IMO a risk I wouldn't take. As MF said above, I'd snatch up the rest of the suit and replace the helmet.

In reference to the paintjob, the damage is fine, it's the metallic coloring that has been denied previously. I recall another vendor trying to sell ESB helmets here but used metallic colors for the red and green and they'd been denied approval. IMO a risk I wouldn't take. As MF said above, I'd snatch up the rest of the suit and replace the helmet.

Acknowledged, I'm leaning towards the purchase. I can always submit with this helmet first and, upon any issues, look to sell it should the submission be denied on the basis of the metallic appearance of the paint. I have also consulted the Detachment Leader and CRL Manager for Boba Fett. Although it is of course possible that they may have simply missed it in the photos, the metallic appearance has not been mentioned. Regardless, I don't discount what you have said here, so I will keep it in mind and will not be as surprised should it be mentioned by the GML. Thanks!

I think it depends on your GML.

If you want honest feedback I'd post those photos on thebhg.net under the pre-approval thread.

If your garrison member selling it is already approved and trooping I don't see how your GML could deny you approval since it seems illogical even if the CRL's have changed.

I think it depends on your GML. Based on what I see that costume will not be approved without some work.

If you look at my build I was denied by my GML since he requires a few fixes. Mainly the gauntlets, but I still need to weather and paint some other stuff. As well as jbdubz provided feedback on my post. My GML didn't point out some of what jbdubz pointed out, but regardless, if you want honest and blunt feedback I would post these photos for pre-approval on the pre-approval thread on thebhg.net.

I appreciate the suggestion, but the pre-approval thread, per my understanding, is only for complete costumes. When I tried the kit on and took the photos in this thread, I did not suit up all the way. As is, I am obviously not ready to submit to the GML and thus would not be able to post to the pre-approval program. I may be incorrect, but again, that's my understanding of the pre-approval program.

That said, I have posted on BHG in a build thread and received feedback from a knowledgeable member there (Don/dbickel). He has listed a plenty of issues that require attention of which I have gratefully recorded for further work on the costume. I have also contacted and received input from the CRL Manager for this costume and consulted the Detachment Leader (Amy) of the Bounty Hunter Guild detachment. If that wasn't enough, I also posted the kit photos to a Facebook Boba Fett Build Group for additional feedback. All this is not to mention talking to an approved Boba Fett in my squad and sending him the pictures. Before GML approval, and after I have made changes to the kit pointed out to me in these locations, I do plan to submit to the pre-approval program.

What stuck out to you as additonal issues or items needing work when you looked at the costume?

I just wanted to make sure you didn't buy it without getting additional feedback since $2600 is a lot of money.

Like was already stated the helmet is wonky in terms of shape when that's probably one of the most expensive pieces, but you already know that.

The knees/shoulders also aren't painted that great. Jbdubz pointed out that on my SE do not have that black smudge on the left shoulder armor either and that should be removed. I don't see it on ROTJ Hero either so it'll probably need to be removed.

Sounds like you have it handled though. I've just been spending a lot of money on additional commissions to fix some of these paint issues on my own suit since I don't have the talent or patience to learn how to paint like some of the people who do it for work on here.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't buy it without getting additional feedback since $2600 is a lot of money.

Like was already stated the helmet is wonky in terms of shape when that's probably one of the most expensive pieces, but you already know that.

The knees/shoulders also aren't painted that great. Jbdubz pointed out that on my SE do not have that black smudge on the left shoulder armor either and that should be removed. I don't see it on ROTJ Hero either so it'll probably need to be removed.

Sounds like you have it handled though. I've just been spending a lot of money on additional commissions to fix some of these paint issues on my own suit since I don't have the talent or patience to learn how to paint like some of the people who do it for work on here.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely do appreciate your suggestion and feedback; sorry if I came off as defensive. It was not my intention.

Based on what has been said here and in other locations, or rather what has not been said about it, I do not think the helmet shape, albeit undesirable, will prevent basic approval. Coincidentally, Jbdubz (who is the CRL Manager I mentioned) also specified that I would need to remove that streak, so you are spot on in that respect.

I will have to spend some more money on this as you have, but I hope to minimize costs where and whenever I can of course. Truly, thank you for your concern. After all, the challenge of building a Fett can only be lessened if I stop to listen to those that have come before me like yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely do appreciate your suggestion and feedback; sorry if I came off as defensive. It was not my intention.

Based on what has been said here and in other locations, or rather what has not been said about it, I do not think the helmet shape, albeit undesirable, will prevent basic approval. Coincidentally, Jbdubz (who is the CRL Manager I mentioned) also specified that I would need to remove that streak, so you are spot on in that respect.

I will have to spend some more money on this as you have, but I hope to minimize costs where and whenever I can of course. Truly, thank you for your concern. After all, the challenge of building a Fett can only be lessened if I stop to listen to those that have come before me like yourself.

Yup I bought mine this year and it's V3 BobaMaker made around 2016, which I didn't know the CRLs went through so many changes the last few years since mine isn't approved still. Sounds like you have been doing way better homework than I did though.

Good luck man!

Yup I bought mine this year and it's V3 BobaMaker made around 2016, which I didn't know the CRLs went through so many changes the last few years since mine isn't approved still. Sounds like you have been doing way better homework than I did though.

Good luck man!

Thank you!

If you don't mind my asking though, since this kit was last approved in 2016, what exactly was wrong with your kit that your GML identified? You mentioned the gauntlets and paint issues. I'm thinking whatever had to be corrected on your kit is alot of what I can be expect to have corrected on mine when I submit since they are of the same era.

Thank you!

If you don't mind my asking though, since this kit was last approved in 2016, what exactly was wrong with your kit that your GML identified? You mentioned the gauntlets and paint issues. I'm thinking whatever had to be corrected on your kit is alot of what I can be expect to have corrected on mine when I submit since they are of the same era.

Well mine is SE, which I believe underwent more changes. SE is a lot more confusing since there are a few suits as reference materials. Therefore, there are some issues between the CRL and some of the reference pics depending on which reference pic you look at. I think ROTJ Hero is a lot easier to deal with.

For those that might be following, if anyone, I have continued working on this kit after proceeding to purchase it. I have made progress but still have a ways to go. I have been posting regularly with updates on the Bounty Hunter Guild Detachment forums here:

Any feedback is welcome there or here. I just have not been posting as much here because feedback was relatively light, but it is still very much needed and appreciated!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back