Thoughts on Foam Helmets?

IXMandalorianXI

New Hunter
After years of lurking and a few lazy half-attempts to start on a helmet, I finally have the resources (read: job + disposable income) to give my Fett costume a real try. I was researching different approaches to making the helmet, and I came across this guy on YouTube making generic helmets out of foam:

His tutorial is really cool, and easy to follow. My idea was to take one of the many templates on this forum, and essentially follow his method, but with a a Fett shaped helmet. Now, to my new/untrained eyes, foam seems like an ideal "first helmet" material which would be cheap, yet decently durable, and allow for more natural curves, fine detailing, and decent leniency for small mistakes. I figure I could make a decent quality, but still relatively cheap helmet. So the question I ask for the more veteran of costume makers here is:

Is foam a good choice for the Boba Fett Helmet? Specifically a first one? Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on how accurate you want it to look. Scratch building is a lot of work any way you go at it, but the Rafafett V2 templates are going to be the most accurate for a scratch build using 2mm cardboard or sintra. Also, I agree with silverstalker...the painting would be a pain after it cracks and chips off.

I agree it could be done but I don't think it lends itself to a Boba Fett helmet as much as some other projects. When it come to the ears and RF stalk I think the foam may start to have some issues. Also as far as durability I think this would be the exact opposite of durable. It might work for short time but it wouldn't last.

just my 2 cents.

but just to add......his tutorial is very good.

I appreciate the replies. Painting is a beast all on its own that I've yet to even begin researching on a large scale just yet. Some articles and videos I found (including a video by the same guy as my first link) recommend plastic dip or balloon latex (specifically stating that the balloon latex chips less and is a bit more flexible.) as a base layer to paint, and then to seal the final coat it with pledge floor wax. I have no idea how effective these methods would be, but I must say that I'm kinda interested to still give it a shot. I didn't even consider the RF stalk, that might take some creative thinking to make work, but I think the ears and main helmet could possibly work. Obviously I want the helmet to look good, but I'm not aiming for 501st good. My initial scratch build is more intended to get me familiar with the design more than anything else.

I'm still debating, but part of me wants to give this a shot, just to see how it will come out. After doing some quick research, Sintra definitely seems like a superior route to go, and will most likely be my future material.

I would say go for it, carboard and Sintra are the go to materials, it would be nice to see a fresh new take on it and find out what else works and bring that to the table (y)

I'm a huge supporter of scratch building and believe at least one piece of every kit should be, but if you just want a cheap, decent, beginner helmet, try out the new Rubies. They're at target for $30, and the general concensus here is that they're decent. There's a thread going right now about it.

But by all means, build your own!

Sent from my SM-G900P

There's some guys doing amazing things with foam. Check out Punished Props, SKS Props, and there's a lot of others too. I made a Commander Fox for my son completely out of foam and it turned out pretty good. He's worn it to 2 cons and its held up okay. The seams are the worst part about it.

Commander Fox 1.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back