THIS IS HOW FAST SMOOTH ON 320 CURES

I wore gloves the very first half of the gauntlet. Then I just raw dogged it! 'Merica!
I was more worried about inhaling any of that FG fiber. I worked slow and cleaned the stuff up often with a lint brush. I ended up getting lucky with weather and did the rest of the trimming out doors. I didn't get 1 FG shred embedded in my skin or finger nails. I got lucky!

Since I'm not a 'builder,' I find videos like these really interesting.
Does the spray adhesive interfere with the process at all? Or does
the resin just seep through the FG cloth and anchor the cloth to the
gauntlet shell?

No "builder", but I've used plenty of similar materials. I'd say the spray adhesive is not needed, but due to the amount of solvent in the material here it probably just eats it's way into it. You could also brush a thin coat of smooth cast down then apply the cloth, then apply the top coat, but the stuff nogoodtomedead has here you gotta be moving FAST. That's where the term New York second came from!

Firstly- its not RESIN! This stuff does not stink. It does not give off a lot of heat and pose a risk of warping your resin. I sprayed such a dusting on the surface (And abraded the hell out of them!). Syllander hooked me up with the suggestion on using Smooth On. He recommended 310... NOT 320! I took it upon myself to use the faster curing 320. It's labeled as 15minute pot life... Which it's really a 1/3 that time!!! (As seen in the vid- a small surface is ok) So, to answer your question Super Jedi- I re-did the right gauntlets- I had to rip up the Smooth On and FG... It was not easy... I needed to carve, peel and pry at it with a knife. It came off- but not easy. The glue didn't affect the bonding at all- The urethane soaks right through the FG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea you had about using 3M spray adhesive to hold the fiber glass cloth in place. I did cut my fiber cloth to the exact size I needed but then they moved on me a bit when applying the resin. Great job Mr. thanks for the tip

I strongly disagree with all the tutorials of "Cut FG to as close to the piece size as possible". It's an unnecessary and cumbersome step. It is so much easier to trim this stuff when it's hard. Regardless of what hardening agent you use.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back