Superjedi's GMH as ESB for Steveo4529

superjedi

Sr Hunter
Hi everyone,
My name is Superjedi and I'm a Fettaholic. . .

Yes, this is the beginning of a shiny new progress thread!
My latest commission is for Steveo4529. Yesterday I received fiberglass GMH #22,
along with some very tasty accessories. I've gotten around 90% of the trimming and
sanding done. Very dusty work! I sneezed a few minutes ago and it was like a blizzard! :p
OK, that's an exaggeration. Safety tip: Wear appropriate protective gear when sanding
or trimming fiberglass! Goggles and a dust mask are must-have items.
Here's the helmet with its accessories.

IMG_0295_zps3192e137.jpg

The bits and baubles include Mojo's aluminum ear set, along with the RF stalk; a Terminalfettler
RF topper kit; a brass Borden replica; a real genuine MQ-1 calculator circuit board (this is the first
time I've ever even seen one of these up close. . . it's very cool!), and a shade 3 visor (not pictured.)

IMG_0296_zps0090573f.jpg

I still have to drill out the molded-in Borden. That will be done when I get to the next phase of prep:
filling in the PP2 physical damage for the transformation to ESB.

IMG_0297_zps89510f0b.jpg

My personal GMH is one of the fiberglass kits that I painted as PP2. Honestly, it's been so long since
I painted mine that I forgot these were done in white gelcoat. When I first opened the box, I was like,
"what the??" :lol:

Oh good, I just finished priming mine. I have all my Pollyscale & Floquil paints at the ready. Hope you don't mind answering some questions along the way, dude?

Hi Necronaut. Feel free to ask all the questions you like! However each answer is $1.00. :lol:

Seriously though, as I've posted many times before, I got so much help from "veteran"
members when I was first starting out doing my Fett gear that I want to help out wherever
I can. I post these progress threads to (hopefully) answer questions and to give people ideas
for techniques and methods/materials they may not have tried before.

You are a machine!
I wish someone made accurately shaped visors. I really like the method that the originals installed with and its impossible to do without a good visor. Anybody know someone would would do a run?

I'll be watching this thread as I have with all your threads my friend. :)

You are a machine!
I wish someone made accurately shaped visors. I really like the method that the originals installed with and its impossible to do without a good visor. Anybody know someone would would do a run?

I'll be watching this thread as I have with all your threads my friend. :)
3M shade 3 visor on amazon...color darkness thickness shape all there.

No, the original visors were thicker and had a formed shape.
They are like 1/8th inch thick material. Its the same as T visor.com makes only the shape needs to be better for the clips to work. I'll see if I can get them to do an accurate one.
Slim Deluxe T-Visor -

Anyway didn't mean to hijack! I just thought it is too bad with all the nice stuff going on accuracy wise these days we still have to use welding shields..

I dont just make this stuff up as I go along...theyre the right thickness and color...3MM and green shade 3. With them being thicker then what you normally see theyre quite dark.

I've placed several different types of visors into helmets. The one Steveo sent happens to be
one of the 3M shade 3 visors, which I haven't worked with before. Once I get it cut to shape
I'll see how well it lines up with the curve of the helmet. (y)

UPDATE: July 26, 2013

Pretty brief update today. I applied the first layer of putty to the physical damage. I'll let this
dry until tomorrow morning. Then I'll sand it down and see what needs to be leveled off. There
are usually at least a couple of spots that need a second application.

IMG_0298_zpsf0cd9627.jpg

It's chicken pox Fett!

UPDATE: July 27, 2013

Looks like Boba's complexion has cleared up considerably. :)
Got the first round of sanding done. As I thought, there were several areas that needed
another application of putty.

IMG_0299_zps31d4a941.jpg

These photos show the helmet after that second round of puttying and sanding.
I have also Dremeled out the molded-in Borden in order to install the brass one.
That will get epoxied in at the end of painting.

IMG_0300_zps259c41c0.jpg

I washed the helmet down really well with some dishwashing liquid to make sure all the sanding dust
and any remaining oils on the surface were cleaned off. Tomorrow I'll get this puppy in primer! (y)

"He's more machine than man now. . . twisted and evil." :lol:

UPDATE: July 28, 2013

Primer coat is on! I'm using Duplicolor filler primer, which I use for a lot of my prop projects.
It's nice and durable and gives a great base for the color coats.

As is typical, the primer revealed a couple of spots that needed a touch more putty.

IMG_0301_zpsc67a99ea.jpg

Once the putty is dry, I'll repeat the sanding process on these areas, then hit them with
another light primer coat. Then it should be ready for the colors. :)

Quick question about the helmet main color... After seeing the pics and video of Art and Gino pulling the eFX ESB helmet mold and seeing the color on the helmet, do you have any plans on modifying the dome and cheek green to make it a little more 'blue', as seen in those pics? I think I might. :confused

I have a really nice and close color match from Badger Paints (same guys who make airbrushes) in their Euro Dark Green. It's lighter than Testors' version, and looks like it'll do a nice job of capturing that mostly olive green, with a hint of blue tone.

Steve, it'll get better as it goes along! :)

Necro, not sure that I really trust the colors that appear in video. Even with hi-def video cameras
these days, there's too much variation in lighting, etc. to make that a definitive resource in choosing
colors. I'm pretty happy with the color palette that I've been using. There are enough photos floating
around from the AoSW and MoM exhibits to make some pretty informed choices. (y)

Superjedi:

does the GMH mandible have a subtle vertical curve as viewed from the side, or is that a photo distortion I often see?

Steve, it'll get better as it goes along! :)

Necro, not sure that I really trust the colors that appear in video. Even with hi-def video cameras
these days, there's too much variation in lighting, etc. to make that a definitive resource in choosing
colors. I'm pretty happy with the color palette that I've been using. There are enough photos floating
around from the AoSW and MoM exhibits to make some pretty informed choices. (y)

You know Jayvee/TF colors are pretty close to what I think weve seen in most cases...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back