I am brand new to the site and am glad to have found it! I saw a post of a friend of mine making a Starlord mask (Guardians of the Galaxy) out of cardboard, and that inspired me to make something of my own. Obviously I turned to Star Wars, my first love, and wanted a Stormtrooper helmet. Looked at a few prop-making forums, found a Pepakura file, got a bunch of supplies, laid out a giant piece of cardboard on the garage floor and got started! For this first one I am not looking to make it into an authentic looking movie prop, but more of a display piece that wont necessarily be worn. Lenses will be painted over and I want a chrome finish.
Here we go!
Started with cutting all the pieces and adding them together to get a general shape. Good thing I had Netflix nearby cause this part took quite a while.
- - - Updated - - -
Nacelles attached and the basic shape is ready to go. I will create the earpieces and some of the other accessories after most of the Bondo-work is done.
Now that it is all put together, I went ahead an added Fiberglasses resin and a few layers of fiberglass cloth to the interior of the helmet. I made sure to make sure the edges around the neck were nice and thick since that is the area to be handled most. Don't want cracking!
Well.... I just gave myself WAY more work than I needed with this new-guy mistake. Since it was my first time with Bondo, I overdid it and caked it on. Now I need to use a dremmel tool to remove excess fiberglass as well as a sanding block to bring the Bondo down.
I got some flexible, but durable, plastic for the lenses and attached it to the interior of the helmet with some JB weld. Also added more Bondo to give it some shape.Also added more glazing putty over the helmet to make things very smooth and rounded.
Added some more primer and will do some last minute fixes before adding some high gloss white paint.
*note: the accessories inside the nacelles will be added later on. I want to make a silicon mold of the helmet so that I can make additional helmets quicker. Adding the pieces after will make it easier.
Sorry for the low quality pics. Ill make sure to get some good ones for when this is all completed. The high gloss paint is all applied and I need to get the Chrome paint added. We will see how it goes.
Thanks. Yes it is my first time. I know more about woodworking but I have always wanted to get into some prop-building a bit. Definitely has taken a lot of time, and mistakes, to learn some things on this build.
Did a couple castings tonight with my helmet mold. Ill use a couple for my own customized stormtrooper helmets, and will put some TLC into the castings to sell to those who would want one. They aren't ready yet though. My silicone mold on one portion of the back was quite thin and resulted in a small uneven patch that will be needing touch ups to make it a more quality resin kit.
Dipped one of my helmets today. Turned out pretty decently. Not I can paint the lenses, headband, cheeks, and chin pieces black, or a color to bring them out. I am also considering splitting the helmet in half down the center to paint one side a solid color, or just original white. Then it will be a half half.