Started My Custom Mando Today

Jon Michael

New Hunter
Well, I woke up early today and I decided to go out to the garage and start cutting out my mando armour. I had earlier bought some trashcans from Walmart (one sale for $7 each, woot), and I traced my WoF templates on them. About 45min. later, I had the front chest armour cut out. The armour is still rough, and needs to be cleaned up some. But, it's a good start. I think I may need to trim it down a little bit. I'm 5' 8", but I'm a little slimmer with an athletic build.

Here's what I have so far, on my old duct tape chest. Haven't had anything to put on him since I cut down on cosplaying.
RoughArmour.jpg

When thinking about my mando, I went back to thinking about the origins for Boba Fett. They wanted someone mysterious and menacing, to stand there and hold their rifle like Clint Eastwood...like Clint Eastwood, that part kinda stuck with me. I love speghetti westerns, and I love Clint Eastwood. So, after a few days it hit me...Lee Van Cleef! He's another one of my favourite actors, and one of the roles of his I loved best was Colonel Douglas Mortimer (opposite Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name") in For a Few Dollars More. So, I am gonna go off of that idea, and base the mando around that.

I'm going to have a single Westar-34, holstered infront by my belly/codpiece, like Colonel Mortimer. I may try to elongate the barrel and add a detachable rifle stock, to make it similar to his firearm. Also, some random rifle I have yet to design. The armour is going to be a mix of Jango/ESB Boba, with a little bit of custom work thrown in. For the jet pack, I LOVE the Jump Trooper pack from the PS2 Force Unleashed. So, I am going to do that. Here's the concept art for it, Merr-Sonn JT-12 Imperial.

PS2JumpTrooper.jpg

PS2JumpTrooperPack.jpg

Only thing I am really stuck on...is the colour scheme. I have a navy blue military jump suit, but I am not sure if I want to use that. Van Cleef's characters were usually known as the "Man in Black", so I may just do black with other darker shades. Who knows...lol. I DO know the right shoulder pad is going to be royal purple with a gold pattern on it. As a tribute to my mom, she's alive but this year has been pretty hard for her. She had corrective surgery on her foot, but because of the bones and other things the pins in her toes and foot aren't setting...and, now she can't really move around on her foot that well. If the next operation doesn't do some good, she is most likely going to be permanently disabled. I've always been pretty close to her, so that's something for her on my suit.

At the moment, I'm kinda at a standstill. The printer is out of ink, going to have to wait on the other templates. The fiance surprised me and printed out the chest templates, because she knew our printer was out of ink. And, she wanted to help me with the project. How sweet of her!

I'll update this as I get more done. Any ideas or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Good luck with this! From the sounds of it and what you described, it will turn out great as long as you stick to it!

Sorry to hear about your mom :( our prayers are with her for her next surgery.

Very good start! The chest pieces look great! I'm definitely gonna keep looking in on this project! (y)

And I LOVE the Lee Van Cleef/Col. Mortimer idea! "For a Few Dollars More" is one of my favorite films of all time! Its also the greatest bounty hunter movie of all time (IMO)!! The crossdraw pistol holster is a genius idea! I wish I had thought of it! I'm actually doing a "gunfighter" suit with some western influences myself! crossed gunbelts and maybe some hopi/navajo influenced artwork.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=30617

a "man in black" suit with greys, blacks, and other dark shades would be very kewl! (y)

cheers, amigo! :cheers

sorry to hear about your mother. best wishes and prayers.

Thanks for the kind words so far! Yeah, I love "For a Few Dollars More" (the pocket watch music is my ringtone, lol). The idea seems to fit so well for Star Wars, as well.

I'm looking around and just picking up on certain things I like, that would go well with the suit. For the belt, I am going to try and make pouches similar to the WWII Mauser ammo pouches. With the vertical straps on them. We'll see how it all comes together.

its gonna look soo cool vod.
as youre going for a western style, how about a long dark coat (possibly black). you could weather it and the gauntlets could go over the top of them. its only a suggestion.
looking forward to seeing this come to life :)

how goes the mando progress? im really lookin foward to this one.

urban camo would be cool, but I REALLY like the black/navy lee van cleef style idea. urban camo would seem a bit too much military/tactical. i've never seen an urban camo jumpsuit. maybe with black/grey plates. just a thought.

and i hope your mother is doing well.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back