Spray can colors for ESB?

VIARPE

Hunter
Hi everyone.
I'm building a ESB Fett.
I scratch-build the helmet and painted it really bad. I have only primered-down bobamaker's gauntlets. I will scratch build the armor soon.
I'm good at painting and I even know how to airbrush but I don't own or currently have acces to an air compressor. I'm thinking about just spray painting from cans the base layers and then weather with pencils.
Wich basic colors should I get? are there any really nice spray can colors that match the original colors perfectly? or is mixing and airbrushing mandatory?
Thanx a lot!

Vicente.

I spray canned my armor and bought an airbrush for the helmet and used it for everythng else.

I will never go back to spray cans... I was actually forced to as I had done everything but the knees and had to go back to spray cans to finish the knees to make them look like the right shoulder pad.

Spray cans offer fewer colors, you can most to try to get colors right, but that is a very difficult process. Further, I have had crackling issues with spray paint... this is a hazard with doing a multilayer paint job with 3 or more layers as with Fett. As you mix up spray can colors, you will find that they use different solvents with different manufacturers... sometimes those solvents don't play well together. The versatility of colors and ease in color mixing is another reason to use an air brush.

Armor is doable with spray cans, but I can't imagine doing a helmet with spray cans. More importantly, it is almost impossible to correctly weather something with a spray can. You don't have the control over the concentration of the paint like you do with an air brush.

All this said, I have seen guys do some pretty incredible paint jobs with spray cans... and even brushes (Superjedi does a great job brushing details, but he airbrushes the larger areas). In my opinion, you are making life extremely difficult by going with spray cans. And you might even save yourself money in the long run by buying an air brush as you end up using a lot less paint.

Here's my spray paint list:

Chest/back armor: Rustoleum Spruce Green
Helmet top, cheeks, gauntlets: Krylon Moss Green
Helmet brow/cheek: Rustoleum Heritage Red
Knees, shoulder: Rustoleum Equipment Yellow
Shoulder: Premium Decor Sunflower Yellow
Jetpack: Krylon Italian Olive

I also used various gray and black spray paints for weathering.

Further, I have had crackling issues with spray paint... this is a hazard with doing a multilayer paint job with 3 or more layers as with Fett. As you mix up spray can colors, you will find that they use different solvents with different manufacturers... sometimes those solvents don't play well together. The versatility of colors and ease in color mixing is another reason to use an air brush.

Armor is doable with spray cans, but I can't imagine doing a helmet with spray cans. More importantly, it is almost impossible to correctly weather something with a spray can. You don't have the control over the concentration of the paint like you do with an air brush.
Thanks a lot.
What do you mean by multilayer hazard? if I wait for every layer to completely dry down it should't be a problem should it? I'm not thinking about mixing the colors, I don't even know how to do that haha. I want 'em to do the base job and then weather and paint scratches with brushes. I also plan to weather with oleum washes, I used to do that for modelling, is it usual on Fett builds?

Here's my spray paint list:

Chest/back armor: Rustoleum Spruce Green
Helmet top, cheeks, gauntlets: Krylon Moss Green
Helmet brow/cheek: Rustoleum Heritage Red
Knees, shoulder: Rustoleum Equipment Yellow
Shoulder: Premium Decor Sunflower Yellow
Jetpack: Krylon Italian Olive

I also used various gray and black spray paints for weathering.
Thank you bro.
Do you have pics of the finished build using that as base? did you do the scratches with brush?
Are these perfect in your opinion? I'm even thinking of just importing the right colors. It may be tough to find all rustoleum types here in Chile. Even Molotow, Montana or Gold Acrylic are easier to find here since there are specialty spray stores.

Thanx again! will wait for more answers if anyone else has got anything else to say :p

"What do you mean by multilayer hazard?"

I waited 3 days for a job to dry, sprayed another layer, and got crinkling. True complete curing can take weeks. In fact, I discovered that Valspar Metallic Silver takes about 3 weeks to cure even though the can says "dries in about an hour." Curing and drying are different, and you need complete curing or the silver will end up smudging when you handle it. I still use 1) primer out of a can and 2) Valspar Silver out of a can because I like it so much, but you have to wait a long time for it to properly cure. I learned this the hard way. I also learned that it likes a thin layer much better than a thick one.

I guess I don't have the patience to wait weeks between laying down new colors. With air brushes, 2 days is more than enough and 1 day is typically sufficient.

Oh, good to know about that curing!
If I don't manage to have the compressor from my uni borrowed I'll just wait :p
Good tip on the thin layer, hadn't thought much about that but it makes 200% sense since the helm will have to endure movement and some hits. Same happens here in Chile with eartquakes on building's walls!

Also, you have to follow the directions on the can... some will describe specific dry and recoat times. Re-coat times can be something like within 1 hour or after 72 hours for reasons clmayfield related. Wait too long, but long enough and you can get reactions. Also helps to stick to one brand but obviously my list doesn't do that. Several light coats is better than one heavy coat especially to avoid crinkling.

Here's a pic of my costume with Italian Olive gaunts and helmet:
15369151_10208611218501840_990098189852176129_o.jpg

And then with Moss Green gauntlets and helmet:
IMG_20170401_183221.jpg

I used a mix of Humbrol and Tamiya model acrylic sprays for my bucket.
Base coat: Humbrol silver 11
Between silver and green: Humbrol Matt grey 64
Cheeks and dome: Humbrol Matt green 30
Rangefinder ear: Humbrol Matt sand 63
For the mandibles I used Rustoleum Matt red wine spray paint, but I found tamiya ts-33 flat dull red could also be used.
The only colour I found difficult to buy straight up was for the back panels where I used a mix of grey blue and green airbrush paints to get the right colour, can’t remember the exact ratios.
The other ear was Matt white under tamiya Matt red and then dark green.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back